Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sapperjack91

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 July, 2012, 06:49:26 PM
They essentially start off with a great film and shit all over it.
like the did with the 'ultimate' directors cut of the warriors
i love that movie!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Professah Byah on 01 July, 2012, 11:50:43 PM
Akira Kurosawa's Stray Dog
...some stuff about post-war Japan...
Damn good stuff.
You'll love Drunken Angel.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

ALIEN

The other night, while i couldnt sleep due to my knackered shoulder, i thought i'd put this on- hadnt seen it in donkey's years.

Sad to say it bored the absolute tits off me. Not in the least scary, slow, drawn-out, with a boring script, and the usual camp hamming from ian holm and john hurt. Not a single scare that wasnt telegraphed in advance like a clumsy film student trying his hand at horror, 'cos it's easy, roight?'. Absolutely hated it.

SBT

I, Cosh

Quote from: brendan1 on 02 July, 2012, 05:16:20 PM
Then I watch it again, and nope, it's still fucking great fun and is on our all-time favourite list of films we all watch over and over again. cf Tremors, The Hidden, The Thing, Aliens, Predator, They Live, In The Mouth Of Madness, Excorcist III
Is that the one with Kyle MacLachlan and the dog? That's great.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 July, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
Donnie Darko...I understand there's a 'directors cut' version - anyone know if it's worth finding, or if it's significantly different?
Different? I'll say. They essentially start off with a great film and shit all over it.

:lol: maybe not then...

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2012, 07:05:01 PM
ALIEN

The other night, while i couldnt sleep due to my knackered shoulder, i thought i'd put this on- hadnt seen it in donkey's years.

Sad to say it bored the absolute tits off me. Not in the least scary, slow, drawn-out, with a boring script, and the usual camp hamming from ian holm and john hurt. Not a single scare that wasnt telegraphed in advance like a clumsy film student trying his hand at horror, 'cos it's easy, roight?'. Absolutely hated it.

SBT

Add this to the long list of great movies that you don't like!  :D

SmallBlueThing

DDDm it was absolute pish. Until thother night, i had Alien down as the only Ridley Scott film that wasn't a complete load of boring, pretentious wank. At least i can happily draw a line under that particular erroneous anachronism.

SBT

Mardroid

I'll admit I found the start of Alien quite boring, but then it got pretty good. (I wonder if disliking it is a much to do with having seen it before and know what will happen as anything?)

The Director's Cut version didn't drag nearly as much for me. A poster on another site I frequent criticised that version as they reckoned it messed up the tone, or somesuch. I think it genuinely improved on it. You still have the slow build up, but it doesn't drag nearly as much.

I still think the theatrical cut is a good version though and wonder if my reaction is as much to do with knowing what will happen, as said above. I remember being on edge the first time I saw it, but I think it did drag a bit then too.

JOE SOAP

While I'm no Alien worshipper and never found it particularly scary, I will say I find the the locations and the class-system amongst the characters interesting enough - it's probably the best film Ridley Scott could and did make. Still a B-film made with A-list actors and an all right script. I think the slow pace works in a way that it didn't in Blade Runner, probably because it had better characters and paid attention to its plot.

brendan1

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 July, 2012, 07:44:25 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 July, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
Donnie Darko...I understand there's a 'directors cut' version - anyone know if it's worth finding, or if it's significantly different?
Different? I'll say. They essentially start off with a great film and shit all over it.

:lol: maybe not then...

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2012, 07:05:01 PM
ALIEN

SBT

Add this to the long list of great movies that you don't like!  :D

It's not as long as the list of utterly risible shite films he does purport to like.

But that's his schtick: the lone wacky voice of this website - and I suspect many others - taking that 'hey wait a minute' stance that demands everyone to re-evaluate and have a stunning moment of realisation as he tears down the flimsy walls of accepted opinion about films, books, comics and music.

And that would be great. If he wasn't wrong about absolutely *everything*

SmallBlueThing

Except that you're an absolute prick.

Anyway- watching The Wicker Man on ITV4 at the moment, and as usual it's just about the best thing there is. I look over at our collection of between four and five hundred DVDs, and think sometimes I could hack it down to just five: this, American Werewolf, The Thing, Day of the Dead and North By Northwest. Just sheer joy.

SBT

Mardroid

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2012, 10:29:34 PM
I look over at our collection of between four and five hundred DVDs, and think sometimes I could hack it down to just five: this, American Werewolf, The Thing, Day of the Dead and North By Northwest. Just sheer joy.

The first three are crackers (and I only don't include the last as I don't know it.) And I think Day of the Dead is my favourite of the Romero Zombie films. (Most people seem to pick the, also good, Dawn..) Not meaning to brown-nose*, but proof that you're not wrong about *everything*.

*That's a vulgar image. Who thought that one up?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2012, 10:29:34 PM
The Wicker Man...American Werewolf, The Thing, Day of the Dead and North By Northwest. Just sheer joy.

Well I can't argue with that.

Tiplodocus

Using the Sky package at my sister's so I don't have to pay to see:

PRIEST: Post apocalyptic schtick with vampires (based on a comic!) starring Paul Bettany and Karl Urban.  It's so packed full of cliche in setup, design, characterisation and script that you could play bingo with it. Woeful.

GREEN LANTERN: This should have worked. Charismatic lead who can handle action and comedy. Plenty of money thrown at it. Some cool alien world designs. Improbably attractive test pilot/love interest/CEO. Use of the ring should be amusing enough to difffernetiate it from usual superhero slugfests. It had it all. Oh, except for a decent story and script.  The animated version GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT was better.

SUCKER PUNCH:  Felt like I needed a shower afterwards. And not a cold one. It was like INCEPTION but written by a fourteen year old mid-wank. Pretty poor stuff.  Was the ending (i.e. [spoiler]the clinic is real, it is the brothel that was a fiction[/spoiler]) meant to be the "shock" it was made out to be?  The film just really wasn't set up to support it. And what's with Scott Glenn on the bus?

Sorry, let me rephrase that:
PRIEST: More like PISH
GREEN LANTERN: More like GREEN SHIT
SUCKER PUNCH:  More like SHITTER PISH
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Sucker Punch makes perfect sense if you accept it's not a movie and is just stock footage for Youtube MVs  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS5gr3T2gPI and on that front it's pretty boss.  As a story... eh, well, I haven't seen it in a while so I'm probably forgetting the subtleties, but I thought it was cool the way it didn't pander to movie goers by rationalising stuff cribbed from videogames in terms that made sense, like powering up or retrieving items to unlock a door to move to the next level and so on.  I am also not sure about the reading of events as being bookended by "reality" as represented by the asylum sequences, as this would render absolutely everything seen in the film as nonsensical anachronism - basically, the asylum bits have to be the fantasy and the videogame levels the reality for it to be cohesive as a story.  Dunno how this works in practice, but then I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand it.

Hoagy

Men in Black III. It was perfectly watchable but felt more like a tv drama than a film comedy. And as usual Jermaine from the conchordes is badly written for.

Lockout. Some good dialogue, good crims, very Harry Twenty, but a bit cheesy too.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract