Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Oh man, I looooove The Lair of the White Worm. My second favourite Russell movie after The Devils.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: radiator on 24 September, 2014, 11:29:51 PM
Come on man. It's Battleshit, surely?

I considered that was waaaaay too obvious.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Space Station 76 - a deliberately-retro sci-fi comedy without much in the way of jokes beyond "hee hee, that man can't admit he's a bummer!", which I suppose makes this a stone cold classic if you find that kind of thing amusing rather than embarrassing and not entirely justifiable within the film's retro stylings.  A great cast and production can't disguise the whole thing is more just an uncomfortable drama, so that probably means it's a "black comedy" or something, with everyone essentially having the exact same plot arc about being stuck where they are.  Looks nice, but it's laugh-free and generally not very good.

Gor - available for now on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW1CZQJACE0 though I suspect no-one will care enough to take it down given its basis in the notoriously mentalist and misogynistic series of novels of the same name.  There's not actually much in the way of misogyny in the film as pretty much everyone who isn't a warlord or a king ends up being treated like shit by those bigger and stronger than they are, so no particular group is singled out, with the most notable bit of sexism ("women are not free in Sarn's realm!") being unambiguously presented as an injustice for which there will be a reckoning, and even a girl-on-girl fight for the amusement of a drooling warlord and his chauvinistic hangers-on is presented as ugly and unglamorous.  The rest of the film is a fish-out-of-water thing for the first twenty or so minutes before becoming a bog standard fantasy romp typical of the mid-80s, and if you squint you can sort of pretend it's a post-apocalyptic thing if that's more your bag.  It's not great, but worse than that it's not terrible either, so it misses out on being able to cash in on being an extreme example of the genre and having some appeal as viewing fodder when you're beering your braincells a bit.
Not so much GOR as MOR, then.
/coat

JamesC

I watched GOR about 10 years ago and quite enjoyed it - a mate had had it sitting around for years without ever watching it. It was one of those videos you could buy from the market for a couple of quid that came in a cardboard sleeve - not even warranting a plastic case.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Bear McBear on 25 September, 2014, 02:32:17 PM
even a girl-on-girl fight for the amusement of a drooling warlord and his chauvinistic hangers-on is presented as ugly and unglamorous.

Isn't that the way Goreans like it?

TordelBack

I misread that as 'Imaginary Sex with 53 detailed scenarios', and felt my IP had been infringed,

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 September, 2014, 12:26:05 PM
LUCY at the IMAX. I've been a fan of Besson and his style over substance approach since seeing Subway as a student (longer ago then I care to remember).  This is accordingly stylish, trite, barking and not quite what you expect in equal measures.  The trailers make it out to be TAKEN but with Telepathic powers but it's far better than that.
Saw this tonight and thought it was amazing, if very, very silly. I had been contemplating a double bill with Guardians of the Galaxy but I came out convinced there was no way that could be anything like as much fun.

It definitely has stacks of that Besson style. Should probably be required viewing for the next batch of interns in the Besson B-movie direction sweatshop just to illustrate that the old man can still effortlessly toss off something far more watchable than the latest Taken or Transporter.

As you say, it's really a very different beast to how it's portrayed. There are action bits and elements but always messed around with or undercut in strange ways by the developing powers. Personally, I loved the blank, deadpan delivery. If anything, I found it got funnier the longer it went on.

Afterwards, I was thinking about how Scarlett Johansson now occupies a fairly unique position in Hollywood. With her role in the Marvel movies building into a solo outing and nonsense like this she has both ends of the genre market covered. More straightforward, dramatic roles are still there in Her and the new Coen Brothers number, then she finds time for off the wall stuff like Under the Skin.

I don't know if it's equality but, while that would be a fairly standard resume for someone like Ben Affleck or Christian Bale, I really can't think of another female star who covers so much ground. Probably missing somebody really obvious though.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Blimey. I've just discovered there's a Transporter TV series! Worth a watch, Prof?
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

So theirs an Equaliser movie now. Who's idea was this?

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 September, 2014, 12:21:17 AM
Blimey. I've just discovered there's a Transporter TV series! Worth a watch, Prof?

Why do you assume that I watch any old pile of shite just because it's there?

But yes, I have watched it.  It's the kind of dumb action series that American television can't make anymore because their directors can only communicate with their audience via music videos rather than coherent narratives - not a patch on the films, but it's okay by telly standards of shooty-racey action.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Bear McBear on 26 September, 2014, 01:24:59 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 26 September, 2014, 12:21:17 AM

Why do you assume that I watch any old pile of shite just because it's there?

But yes, I have watched it.  It's the kind of dumb action series that American television can't make anymore because their directors can only communicate with their audience via music videos rather than coherent narratives - not a patch on the films, but it's okay by telly standards of shooty-racey action.

Where do you find the time?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Professor Bear

Goaty

Marvellous

Saw it on BBC2 last night, what a brilliant heart-warming TV film. Can't believe Nello is real person, very British Forrest Gump?

Toby Jones is very good in it, even Nello himself!

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 September, 2014, 09:03:53 AM
So theirs an Equaliser movie now. Who's idea was this?

I've no interest in ever watching the film, but I'm fascinated by the poster they've been using on bus shelters, featuring an oddly deracinated Denzel. It's as if they want some viewers to get the impression that the film stars an old white guy, like the TV show, despite the poster featuring the name of the star fairly prominently.