Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

I was thinking of Double-Dragon when somebody mentioned Street-Fighter.  Both films were bad, but I think Street Fighter wins by comparison. Then there is Mortal Combat.

Why were handed so badly, Double- Dragon might have done better, if they made it a more generic martial arts film like one of the earlier Michael Dudikoff, Jean Claude Van Damn, Jackie Chan, Samo Hung, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee films (Including all those actions hero's who starred in the those Expendable films.) without all that fancy stuff that seemed surplus to needs.

The other two films, have a real cartoonish vibe to them. It's pretty hard to make that all real while not destroying it like they have. Then again, I guess they had a lot of fun just doing it.

Somethings aren't meant to be on the big screen.

NapalmKev

Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens. Finally watched this and I have to say I'm disappointed. The comparisons with the other films (regarding plot) didn't really bother me and Kylo Ren is a solid enough character, but the film itself didn't feel very Star Wars-ie to me. Phantom Menace is far better!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: NapalmKev on 24 March, 2016, 08:46:36 AM
Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens. Finally watched this and I have to say I'm disappointed. The comparisons with the other films (regarding plot) didn't really bother me and Kylo Ren is a solid enough character, but the film itself didn't feel very Star Wars-ie to me. Phantom Menace is far better!

Cheers

Oh he did NOT go there! :o

TordelBack

That's why you get for watching it on the dodgy download, N-kev! 

NapalmKev

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 March, 2016, 09:19:37 AM
That's why you get for watching it on the dodgy download, N-kev!

Blue-ray quality dodgy download I'll have you know!

Seriously though, obviously I'm not the target audience for this which is fair enough, but I feel it really didn't live up to the hype it got. The F/X is good but not outstanding like I would expect from a film series of such pedigree. And with some tighter writing wouldn't have needed so much Harrison Ford who, to me, looked like he'd rather be doing something else.

Still, each to their own!

Cheers

Professor Bear

If you remove the Star Wars brand, The Force Awakens is remarkably similar to the truly awful Jupiter Ascending, right down to near-identical stories, scenes, characters, and plot arcs.
Nostalgia and Lucas-bashing is what made TFA the success it is.  Unfortunately, if you were never that big a Star Wars fan and don't hate the prequels, TFA feels a bit flat.  A bit like the Trek fan movies that get people like DC Fontana to write episodes and George Takai to star in them: all the trappings are there, but it just isn't Star Trek, it's a homage to what some creators/fans think Star Trek is/was.

TordelBack

TFA is a decent SW movie, but a great - if short - Han Solo movie.  Quite what it would be without him I'm not sure, despite the four charming new leads.  Will Hamill be able to pull off the same lumbar support role in Episode VIII, or will we get to see if the new guys can hold their own without Ford 's reflected charisma?  Disagree about Ford wanting to be elsewhere - even if he did I thought he gave a terrific performance, the Alec Guinness of the piece.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 24 March, 2016, 10:09:47 AM
If you remove the Star Wars brand, The Force Awakens is remarkably similar to the truly awful Jupiter Ascending, right down to near-identical stories, scenes, characters, and plot arcs.

Care to elaborate? I'm not seeing it (sure I will disagree even when expanded upon but interested as this comparison is blowing my mind :) )

Professor Bear

The girl from a backwater planet eking out a meager existence before swooshing off to space to claim her destiny from a super-camp emo villain played by a pretty boy who's inexplicably a bit shit in the climactic fight on a crumbling planet-destroying superweapon will get you started in your quest for similarities - because I insist you have to go back and watch it and suffer like I had to - but there are many similarities to be found that admittedly likely have more to do with both films drawing heavily upon the same source.

Satanist

Quote from: NapalmKev on 24 March, 2016, 08:46:36 AM
Phantom Menace is far better!

Cheers

Woah woah WOAH! That's some crazy talk right there and I don't even think TFA is that great.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 23 March, 2016, 11:29:27 PM
Star Trek: Horizon- ... the script could really have used a pass or two under the nose of a decent editor ...  The acting isn't great, the dialogue is occasionally painful, the fx can sometimes be glaringly fake, and I'm pretty sure some of the plot elements it touches upon (like the temporal cold war) were not only resolved but wiped from canon to boot, ... but otherwise, a decent enough way to pass 90-odd minutes.

so it's okay apart from the acting, the dialogue, the script, the editing, the effects and the plot?

I've got a car you may want to buy - apart from the engine, the bodywork, the chassis and the wheels it's a great little car!

Professor Bear

Considering that description applies to more than 95 percent of Trek, I would have thought it was a glowing recommendation for any fan.

CrazyFoxMachine

I'm always two years behind everything - so I've just seen the 2014 Python Live thing.

As awkward as you might expect but oddly charming with it also. The glossy production is quite openly masterminded by Eric Idle and celebrity choreographer Arlene Phillips so large chunks of the show are taken up by dance numbers - ostensibly to aid costume changes I imagine but none of them feel particularly necessary outside of skits that already featured them. The sleazy Blackmail dance is a serious lowpoint.

The real magic comes in the occasional obscure sketch choices and the interaction between the aged Pythons, particularly the ferocious Cleese and the ever-lovely Gilliam & Palin. Idle is in fine voice throughout and the whole thing comes off as relatively charming for a massive arena comedy show although apart from a few satirical barbs it mostly lacks the playful subversion that makes the Pythons so timeless.

NapalmKev

Deadpool. I enjoyed it. Quite funny and some good action scenes. Gives me hope that one day we'll see a Ulysses Sweet movie.

Cheers

SIP

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 March, 2016, 10:21:38 AM
TFA is a decent SW movie, but a great - if short - Han Solo movie.  Quite what it would be without him I'm not sure, despite the four charming new leads.  Will Hamill be able to pull off the same lumbar support role in Episode VIII, or will we get to see if the new guys can hold their own without Ford 's reflected charisma?  Disagree about Ford wanting to be elsewhere - even if he did I thought he gave a terrific performance, the Alec Guinness of the piece.

I would second those comments sir.  Harrison Ford was excellent in the film.  And i think it was a solid entry in the series. I'm looking forward to more luke next time around.