Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Im_not_Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 August, 2016, 09:04:55 AM
John Wick is a fantastically well made film and the complete antithesis of the insidious notion that you "should just turn your brain off and not expect Shakespeare" when sitting down to watch an action or genre movie.

Indeed I was impressed with it, it's just not something I can see myself watching again. Unlike Shoot 'Em Up which is my go to action movie when I'm feeling a bit angry.

Theblazeuk

It's a very well made action film but it ain't shakespeare  ;) But I agree Cosh it's the rare example of an action movie where you don't have to turn your brain off to enjoy.

Colin YNWA

Watched Secret Life of Pets and it really brought home how formulaic the stories in many kids movies have become. In many ways this story is a direct life of Toy Story. Status Quo of lovely and slightly wacky characters living a life we don't see behind closed doors. Change in status quo 1 add an outsider who up sets balance and creates rivally/unhappy relationship with lead character. Status quo change 2 the couple at odds are lost in a new and threatening environment. They meet a series of odd ball characters from this new world, some charming, some threatening. Their friends searching for them meet a series of odd ball character from this new world some charming, some threatening. The adventures bring the odd couple together. Big dramatic set piece to bring it all together and resolve all issues. Return to status quo, slightly improved by the addition that started all this nonsense off.

I think that's why I loved Zootropolis so much. It almost certainly had a story that was very familar to other stories of this type, outsider trying to make their way in a new world is a theme we also see time and again. But it did it so well I didn't notice.

Here its abaolutely apparent BUT I still loved it! It was very funny, funny enough that even though the story was so tried and cliche it was utterly enhanting and endless fun and laugh out loud funny on so many occasions. Brilliant stuff. Utterly tired, cliched and shallow BUT emmensely entertaining... oh and the kids didn't over analysis of course and loved it!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Finding Dory

They should've tried finding story first. Still, I had a nice snooze.

The new characters were so memorable that I forgot their names during the film.
Lock up your spoons!

dweezil2

I can highly recommend The Invitation which I caught on Netflix.

A superbly tense and claustrophobic psychological horror/thriller from director Karyn Kusama.

Fantastic performances from a great ensemble cast and tension ratcheted up to sphincter clenching proportions!

Beautiful cinematography too.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

CrazyFoxMachine

Silent Running

Hippies in sppaaaaacce. My first time watching this eco sci-fi classic and it struck me almost like a nihilist version of Red Dwarf. There's an admirable tightness of focus and a palpable sense of loneliness. The effects work well and the robots have more heart and personality than all of the humans. The black-and-white heavy-handedness of the eco message coupled with Joan Baez placed it firmly in its era but functions tidily enough.

Link Prime

Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 August, 2016, 04:27:04 PM

A superbly tense and claustrophobic psychological horror/thriller from director Karyn Kusama.

Fantastic performances from a great ensemble cast and tension ratcheted up to sphincter clenching proportions!

Yeah, a great film.
I had guessed the basic twist quite early, but it was still very satisfying seeing it all play out.
Another recommendation from me.

dweezil2

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 August, 2016, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 August, 2016, 04:27:04 PM

Yeah, a great film.
I had guessed the basic twist quite early, but it was still very satisfying seeing it all play out.
Another recommendation from me.

Totally agree about being able to predict the outcome link, but the journey was indeed very satisfying!

Having a keen interest in the subject matter provided even greater interest for me too.

dweezil2

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 15 August, 2016, 08:23:22 PM
Silent Running

Hippies in sppaaaaacce. My first time watching this eco sci-fi classic and it struck me almost like a nihilist version of Red Dwarf. There's an admirable tightness of focus and a palpable sense of loneliness. The effects work well and the robots have more heart and personality than all of the humans. The black-and-white heavy-handedness of the eco message coupled with Joan Baez placed it firmly in its era but functions tidily enough.

What a classic!

Always a fond favourite in this household and that end scene never fails to elicit a tear.

One of the very best Sci-Fi movies made and that soundtrack LP takes pride of place in my collection.

Colin YNWA

Zootropolis - I know I've gone on about this movie quite a lot in the short time its been out BUT just watched it again on DVD with all the family and it really holds up. Wonderful film. Probably my favourite animated movie ever... probably...

Steve Green

Bone Tomahawk.

[spoiler]The scene with the deputy, Jesus - made even more shocking considering how relatively mild the previous 90 minutes had been[/spoiler]

Buttonman

David Brent : Life on the Road -I really enjoyed this despite it being an uncomfortable watch with the cringeyness and flat out desperation getting a bit much.

The new characters weren't well developed although I liked Dom. The office bully and comedy sidekick were poor.

The ending was well telegraphed [spoiler]and I don't think Brent's redemption with the band or his fledgling romance were earned[/spoiler]. There were however a few funny songs and some good lines and it's well worth a look.

7/10 for me.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 August, 2016, 12:02:44 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 August, 2016, 04:05:41 PM
Zootropolis

Bone Tomahawk.

[spoiler]The scene with the deputy, Jesus - made even more shocking considering how relatively mild the previous 90 minutes had been[/spoiler]

Imagine if Amazon had mixed up your two deliveries.

I really enjoyed Bone Tomahawk when it was a Western. I love [spoiler]horror[/spoiler] and I enjoyed the final section of the film too, but - like [spoiler]From Dusk Till Dawn[/spoiler] - I couldn't help wishing I could see how the end of the film I'd been watching for the last hour played out, rather than segueing into a [spoiler]genre short[/spoiler].

I had to look away during the scene referenced above, and I think of myself as a gore hound.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: dweezil2 on 16 August, 2016, 07:22:23 PM
One of the very best Sci-Fi movies made and that soundtrack LP takes pride of place in my collection.

I also found out that No Man's Sky scorers and increasingly-interesting post-rockers 65daysofstatic did a Silent Running rescore a couple of years ago...

Freaks

The awkward gulf stylistically between then-and-now is in sharp contrast to the wildly progressive 'disabled people are human' hook which even now Hollywood has difficulty grasping. In a generation where films like "Me Before You" and "Margarita With a Straw" are made (where the disabled leads are played by able-bodied actors) - Freaks basic authenticity still shines through time and the angle of 'shock' the audience feels is now far different. Although the broad strokes of the narrative means that despite its best intentions we are STILL watching a freakshow there is a simplistic but solid story which helps hold the pretext together. Again - not stupendous but the boldness of its production makes it timeless in ways a lot of its contemporaries could only dream of being.

Hawkmumbler

The Mark il Narc series

Often whilst watching a eurocrime movie, you'll find yourself with a creeping feeling of familiarity. Calibro 9 owes a great deal to The Godfather, Wake Up and Kill wouldn't be as polished if not for the influence of Bande a Parte, and High Crime would never have been sanctioned if not for Nero aping Hackman in The French Connection. This trilogy of movies by Stelvio Massi is no different, the titular Mark (played admittedly very well and charmingly by Franco Gasparri) appeared in three movie from 1975 and 1976, Mark of the Cop, Mark Shoots First and Mark Strike Back! in an effective if somewhat watered down take on the Dirty Harry formula, even with certain scenes lifted directly from Eastwood finest hour it never quite manages to raise itself to the levels of Lenzi or Di Leo eurocrime madness. They are by no means the worst of the genre, but to someone casually wanting to watch a politsiotesco, i'd recommend looking to Manhunt or Calibro 9 instead.