Main Menu

New Doctor Who series

Started by rogue69, 11 May, 2024, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 May, 2024, 05:24:18 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 13 May, 2024, 05:07:07 PMHow do you know the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic?

Did you watch it...?
Both episodes. Space Babies seemed to be aimed at younger fans, the 2nd one not so much. Thern again do little kids like babies?

judgeurko

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 May, 2024, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 May, 2024, 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 13 May, 2024, 03:55:41 PMYep but it is far worse than most other overnight figures for the show.

But... as pointed out already, the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic who are unlikely to watch broadcast TV. I'm not saying the numbers will be great whenever they finally get tallied up, just that if they've lost [X] million older viewers from the live broadcast but gained [X+1] million younger ones on platforms that don't register in the overnights, then we can't infer much from the overnights, other than fewer people watched the show 'live'.

This is the first one where they've premiered on streaming isn't it? If so, you've got that factor too - some staying up until midnight and not bothering with the Saturday evening live broadcast.

I've no idea what overseas will make of it - maybe here there will be a bump here for the Moffatt written episode.

I guess we'll only know way down the line - it's only an 8 episode series after all.

I don't know what deal Disney have with Who, but they were pretty brutal with Willow
Yes we will see once the collated ratings are in for streaming.

moly

Thought the second episode with jinx was ok until the dance scene at the end but space babies was one of the worst things I've ever watched

nxylas

Quote from: judgeurko on 13 May, 2024, 07:40:22 PMThen again do little kids like babies?
They like bogey and fart jokes.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Dandontdare

A lot of fun if you don't think about it too much, and the leads have great charisma, but I could do without the song and dance numbers. And what's with this "season 1" nonsense?

fun trivia - the old lady who was murdered playing the piano was June Hudson, costume designer in the Tom Baker-era

gurnard

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 May, 2024, 11:57:36 PMA lot of fun if you don't think about it too much, and the leads have great charisma, but I could do without the song and dance numbers. And what's with this "season 1" nonsense?

fun trivia - the old lady who was murdered playing the piano was June Hudson, costume designer in the Tom Baker-era

Totally agree with all of this. Thanks for the inside info interesting.

I enjoyed it as always cos it is a good watch when it is dark and heavy  or light and entertaining. I personally love a fart or bogey joke maybe still just a kid.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 May, 2024, 11:57:36 PMAnd what's with this "season 1" nonsense?

RTD has described this series as a 'soft' reboot. Also, with it being new to a massive streaming platform and likely reaching a lot of new potential viewers, "Season 1" is a lot less off-putting than "Season 14" (or whatever they're up to in the modern version).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Welp, that was most assuredly RTD Who, for all the good and bad that entails.