Main Menu

Sláine recent Rebellion reprints collection

Started by vark, 13 April, 2013, 10:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

ThryllSeekyr

My copy of the The Grail War arrived today and certainly looks handsome with that cover. After a quick flisk through it I found that Pat Mills usual abligatory Preface is missing. Dissapointed, I was rather looking forward to that. Such a shame.

Other than The Demon Hitchhiker and Massimo's version of The Battle of Clontarf which I have already read. King of Hearts, The Grail War, The Secret of the Grail will be new stories to me.

I can't review it yet, as I am still reading The Horned God at the moment.

I will get to it though.

Perhaps someone else would like to.

TordelBack

Yay, got my copy of The Grail War yesterday, having only read one episode of its extensive content previously, and by Lug do I have a lot to say about it.  Yet again I find most of what I thought I knew  about this stuff was completely wrong.  It's a game of two halves, one excellent, one not so.  I must mull things over, re-read, and collect my thoughts...

ThryllSeekyr

I still haven't got around to reading it yet. But I will get there soon.

ThryllSeekyr

Over on Facebook Small Blue Thing had been agonising over why Massimo Bellardenellie's, Battle of Clontarf has never been reprinted in all it's coloured glory. I was wondering the same thing at the time. Totally forgetting that I had seen it myself in the back of the Slaine: The Grail War when I first had a look through the graphic novel after getting it in the mail. Then putting it back on the shelf to collect dust. Yes, I still haven't read it yet.

Anyway, Dark Jimbo[]/b] told me it's in there and I found my copy of the graphic novel again and there it was. So I got onto Small Blue Thing and told him to purchase Slaine: The Grail War quick smart and then he will be a very happy person.

Silly me.

vark

I have received the new version of Sláine Time Killer and The King, so here is July 2013 update, from left to right and up to bottom:
1 Warrior's dawn, March 2005 first print of the UK edition (not the classic Rebellion reprint spine)
1 Warrior's dawn, March 2008 second edition of the UK edition (my copy is noted third print, I've never seen the second print)
2 Time Killer, February 2007 first print of the first UK edition
2 Time Killer, July 2013 first print of the second UK edition
3 The King, May 2008 first print of the first UK edition
3 The King, July 2013 first print of the second UK edition
4 Horned God, August 2008 first print of the UK edition
5 Demon Killer, March 2010 first print of the UK edition
6 Lord of Misrule, April 2011 first print of the UK edition
7 Treasures of Britain, June 2012 first print of the UK edition
8 The Grail War, April 2013 first print of the UK edition

1 Warrior's dawn, 2005 first print of the first US DC edition (note the bending 2000ad logo)
Warrior's dawn, October 2010, first print of the second US S&S edition
Book of invasion vol 1, March 2012, first print of the US S&S edition

As of the UK July 2013 edition of Time Killer I haven't spotted any differences from the previous 2007 UK edition appart the cover and the spine (Talbot has been added).
Regarding the UK July 2013 edition of Sláine The King, I haven't spotted other differences than the cover and the coloured version of the last page of "The Killing Field", i.e. I haven't found the added pages advertised on 2000 AD books web page.
The arrow of god is therefore still missing...

vark

And here are the spines (for the perverted souls who roam the forum):

vark

At the end of Slaine the king paperback there are two spoils of awnn data files pages (see here http://www.thearchdeviant.org/2013/07/slaine-king-rebellion-2013-uk.html). does anybody knows in which prog they have been originally published?

Dark Jimbo, your previous picture on this topic has vanished???

Ancient Otter

They didn't add the missing Diceman page in the new edition?  :o

vark

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 20 July, 2013, 06:29:01 PM
Dice man material has only been reproduced in the Demon killer tpb as well as I am aware of. Sláine "The king" contains a complete role playing game (tomb of terror) but It was published in 2000 AD.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: vark on 20 July, 2013, 08:57:28 AM
Regarding the UK July 2013 edition of Sláine The King, I haven't spotted other differences than the cover and the coloured version of the last page of "The Killing Field", i.e. I haven't found the added pages advertised on 2000 AD books web page.

I can't see any difference either, beyond that single colour page. I don't think there is any extra content.

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 20 July, 2013, 08:57:28 AM
They didn't add the missing Diceman page in the new edition?

That was in Demon Killer, wasn't it?
@jamesfeistdraws

vark

As I can't find anymore nor the topic where it was discuss nor the search button of the forum, I will post my question here.
Does the 1993 Mandarin hardcover reprint of the Horned God the only books that comes with a dust jacket (apart the Titan black deluxe edition)? I have the 1996 second print produced by Hamlyn but without a dust jacket (and using the back cover of the 1993 edition as cover).

Proteus4

see the cover for warriors dawn, the one with no dinosaur - yeah, the one with slaine and his big sword held up in front of him, yeah that one.  well,  I HATE THAT COVER.

I have nothing constructive to add
cheers
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: vark on 20 July, 2013, 07:00:43 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 20 July, 2013, 06:29:01 PM
Dice man material has only been reproduced in the Demon killer tpb as well as I am aware of. Sláine "The king" contains a complete role playing game (tomb of terror) but It was published in 2000 AD.

If anyone has tried playing that Slaine: Tomb of Terror game at the back of either edition of Slaine: The King they will find they can never complete it properly. As the printers have neglected to include the back page of that particular Prog which allowed to add your name and record the total of Warp Points you had accumulated in the game. It was page awarded to you from the College of Druidism or something like that. Anyway, Written upside in small letters somewhere on that back page is the solution to which one of the straws Ukko that he was holding was the shortest.

Can any one put up a scan of this page?

Leaving this page out is a big mistake.

Judge Brian

I hope they print volume 9 soon. I think it should collect everything between Grail War & Book of Invasions 1.