Main Menu

No Spoilers - Gordon Rennie's Bile Duct

Started by Trout, 08 March, 2005, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Well, maybe a tiny spoiler, on the future of the Rennie column, as mentioned on this board previously, and in this month's Meg.

Obligatory

Spoiler

Space

Whatever will we do without our brave columnist ripping the piss out of the world of comics?

I, for one, am gutted. It was my favourite bit of the Meg.

I'm transplanting my comments to this new thread, from the spoiler-protected Meg review thread, for two reasons:

1) Who agrees that it's a tragedy which should be averted, if possible?

2) If change must be embraced - as sometimes it must be - whoever can fill those surliest of boots?

Who?

Who?

WHOOOOO?

Sorry.

- Trout

Krustabi

Dan Kelly

A damn shame this is going.

However there is now space for Floyd Kermodes letter of the Month.  

Leaving space in DreddLines for teh rest of us ;)

Dan

Krustabi

Having read La Kermode's efforts elsewhere on the interweb, I believe he is the perfect candidate.

However, no one will ever fill those surly boots

:( x 1 million.

Jared Katooie

To be honest I never really liked Gordon's column. It was better than the other text features but to be honest, they're pretty dull.

If someone is taking his place, I hope it'll be David Bishop his stuff was very funny and well-written too.

Still Gordon's still a highly popular writer so he can focus on that instead.

Funtwangle

bishop vs mills feature

only one can survive

Tordelbach

This is indeed a shame.  

As the original "text piece/filler/fanzine column/insightful journalism" part of the Megazine this paved the way for the rest of the good stuff, and is still  my favourite by miles.  I can't believe that Gordon has run of things/people to give out about, and would petition Tharg's Cousin (well, I mean, what does having a  HUMAN editor for the Meg do to our suspension of disbelief, huh?) to chain him to his desk...

Unless it means he has more time to write Caballistics, in which case, does anyone have Roxilla's phone number?

Tiplodocus

I like things that make me laugh out loud and Grennie managed this most months. Shame 'tis no more.

I notice that just as our column taking the piss out of comics ends, SFX have started one with Mark Millar spitting bile.

I've only read three of Floyd's interweb peices and, entertaining as they were, he'd already started repeating himself so I suspect he may not be the perfect candidate just yet.  

Alan Grant has several thousand opinions about just aabout everything.  And he's pretty funny.  I'm sure that between him and Mister Wagner we could have a "Diary of a comics writer" type piece that covered the seventies onwards e.g. "5th January 1975 - writing for f*c*ing BUNTY again.  Forgotten the difference between pibald and skewbald." Except funny.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

I can't say I'm that bothered.

I reckon it would be difficult to maintain that kind of furore over things without it becoming forced.

Better to end on a high note rather than drag things out.  After all, look what happened to Rogue Trooper.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Will I. Cooling

Me!!!

(with a copy editor of course)

Seriously, I think Mills or Grant would do a good job. Bishop's okay on an infrequent basis but if his last CI column is anything to go by then he's became too embittered and disillusioned with modern comics for a column to be anything other than rants down bitter memory lane. Which is fun for a while but gets boring.

Short of that King Trout and that's got nothing to do with the gun he's stick at the back of my head.

BANG!!!

The Late Will Cooling
1985-2005

The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Will I. Cooling

Also lets all pray that Alan Barnes doesn't take the page for himself

(shudders)

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Lord Running Clam

I've known about this for awhile from hearing it from Gordon in the chatroom and as I said then its a real shame.As for other writers taking a crack for it I second Pat Mills.It might also be fun to let some artists have a go as well.

Smiley

Bung some more Bonjo reprints in there.

Queen Firey-Bou

awww thats a shame, i'm sure theres still a few subjects that need bile piled upon them.

oh well they could give the column to me, i could pick a subject every week, say its "shite" or it "rocks" & that i can't be arsed saying explaining why. then they could use the space saved for prutty pictures.

Richmond Clements

Pat would be great.
How about rotating between Pat, Alan Grant and Bish?
Oh, and me of course.