Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: pictsy on 07 April, 2022, 10:21:01 AM

I never thought it was ambiguous to the viewer, only to the protagonist. 

Yes. The ambiguity, to me, felt like a mind game played on Quaid by Ronnie Cox's bad guy to confuse him and maybe break the reprogramming to get the Evil Quaid back. Also, an alien machine capable of reconfiguring the entire Martian atmosphere in just a few minutes, with air breathable by humans? Puh-lease. It's a shame, really, because I think there's a decent film in there struggling to get out but it was, in the end, unfortunately stillborn. (Although I did enjoy Sharon Stone cracking Arnie in the plumbs. Four times.)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 April, 2022, 01:22:49 PM
(Although I did enjoy Sharon Stone cracking Arnie in the plumbs. Four times.)

Arnie had the last laugh, though, along with the best line in the film: "Consider this a divorce!"  :)

Despite all the inherent silliness I still love this movie and it's one of my favourite Arnie films.

The Legendary Shark

Cop Land. Haven't watched this in ages, for some reason, but it's still a groovy movie with a decent story and a top tier cast. Probably my favourite Stallone film, beating First Blood by a half-shaved whisker.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: paddykafka on 07 April, 2022, 02:09:51 PM
Arnie had the last laugh, though, along with the best line in the film: "Consider this a divorce!"

"Consider dis a divooorce!"

Great. Just great. Prime Schwarzenegger.

(Actually, I've just remembered that I fuckin' love this movie. I'm off to see if there's a 4K blu-ray RIGHT NOW!)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Two weeks.

Two weeks.

Twwoooo weeeekkks.

TWWOOOO WEEEKS.

Tiplodocus

SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER
More Harryhausen goodness with a trio of creepy troll creatures, an amazingly expressive baboon, giant walrus, troglodyte, sabertooth tiger and a bronze minotaur - who is utterly wasted. 

A completely whitewashed cast (a wooden Patrick Wayne and a young Jane Seymour, Patrick Troughton's gullible genius), pathetic villains (they are outnumbered and outgunned without Minoton) can't derail it though.

Genuinely can't understand how a writer and director set up a villain like Minoton and not have him as part of the climax. Possibly would make it too similar to the end of Golden Voyage?

I particularly like the "Now we have the hard journey home!/ Cut to Coronation Room" ending.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Cobra. (1986). Cobblers.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 April, 2022, 08:44:04 PM

Cobra. (1986). Cobblers.

Kino entry in the copaganda genre. Absolutely wonderful bollocks, I love it.

Radbacker

Sonic 2
It's a movie based on a game where a Blue Hedgehog sprite runs from left to right really fast jumping on bad guy robots, really shouldn't work but like the first one it does.  Was lots of fun, nice little Easter eggs in there for fans of the game, took my 5 year old daughter as her first trip to the cinema and she loved it too, she even sat in her seat for the whole 2 hours, maybe 15 minutes too long they could cut out the whole Hawaii wedding and nothing would be missed.  Jim Carrey bought it as Robotnic again and Edris Elba was great as Knuckles you get a very Drax feeling from the character.  I f you didn't think much of the first one don't bother but for my money both Sonic & Sonic 2 are probably the best Video Game moves so far.

CU Radbacker

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 April, 2022, 11:17:02 AM
Genuinely can't understand how a writer and director set up a villain like Minoton and not have him as part of the climax. Possibly would make it too similar to the end of Golden Voyage?

Minaton rules. My brother and I were obsessed with Harryhausen films when we were younger and it was always a source of bafflement / hilarity to us that he spends the whole film rowing the boat and exuding menace only to have a rock fall on him and take him out of the action before the climax. I'm also always struck by poor old Maroof getting killed at the end and nobody basically noticing.

Everything you've said about this film is true including about how the issues can't derail it - beautiful sets and costumes and incredible monsters. Patrikc Wayne is crap but better than the guy who plays Sinbad in Golden Voyage imo (although that one has Caroline Munro, Tom Baker and Kali)

Must watch these again!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 April, 2022, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 07 April, 2022, 02:09:51 PM
Arnie had the last laugh, though, along with the best line in the film: "Consider this a divorce!"

"Consider dis a divooorce!"

Great. Just great. Prime Schwarzenegger.

(Actually, I've just remembered that I fuckin' love this movie. I'm off to see if there's a 4K blu-ray RIGHT NOW!)

I love Total Recall - it's on my list of Movies I Can't Walk Away From, or MICWAF.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

The Ballard of Buster Scruggs

What a superb movie. 6 vignettes with 'western' settings, though they have great scope in both tone and theme. Each one offers so much and together as a whole they work wonderfully.

There are some superb performances, after all Tom Waits is in there, but many more besides. The best thing is I know each of the stories will be my favourite dependent on what mood I am in. None are weak at all and all offer something to the collective whole.

This has inspired me to do a Coen's retrospective as I did a Wes Anderson one not that long ago (well I watch Hail, Caesar the other might - which is a mh movies and certainly not to their normal standard).

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 April, 2022, 10:29:40 PM
The Ballard of Buster ScruggsThere are some superb performances, after all Tom Waits is in there,

I don't dispute the validity of this observation in the context of a movie I haven't seen, but I will argue the logical fallacy of that argument. Tom has delivered cameos in some right dross.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 April, 2022, 10:50:42 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 April, 2022, 10:29:40 PM
The Ballard of Buster ScruggsThere are some superb performances, after all Tom Waits is in there,

I don't dispute the validity of this observation in the context of a movie I haven't seen, but I will argue the logical fallacy of that argument. Tom has delivered cameos in some right dross.

Arh but that dross is elevated by his presense.

Hawkmumbler

Sometimes you just gotta turn up for that pay cheque.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a delight, I still catch myself playing the soundtrack on occasion.