Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Medivac 318 vs Badlands Rd 1 Heat 83

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 January, 2022, 06:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We've DONE IT - the final week of Round 1 - well done. You've earnt a break after all this work ... so to respect that there's one less vote this week. Just the 7 - I know I'm as generous as Tharg. If things are going to plan I might keep momentum up and BLAST straight into Round 2... enjoy the break!

I believe Badlands was saved by Tharg as it was originally meant to be published by... someone else (Tundra???) but they went bust and so it was chopped for the Prog. Did the story survive in your eyes or did you love Hilary Robinson and Nigel Dobbyn on the refreshing Medivac?

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Medivac 318 - more info

Vs.

Badlands - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 14th January and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

I will abstain since I never read Badlands but I do not like Medivac 318
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

rogue69

Blue Cactus

Haven't read Medivac sadly and I've mostly forgotten Badlands so better abstain.

AlexF

I too can barely remember Badlands, but it lingers in my head as Dan Abnett being serious rather than funny, which is rarely his best mode, and Kev Walker being stuck in between his polished painted ABC style and his super trimmed down clean line Dredd style. So yeah, average + average = average.

Medivac 318, like Zippy Couriers, is better in my memory than it actually is when you read it, but most of the first series is pretty great and the rmabling second series would have been a good prelude to something if it had ever continued. And Dobbyn's characters desgns are top notch.

Easy vote for Medivac 318.

Funt Solo

If someone were to tell me there was more Medivac 318 or more Badlands next prog, I'd be more excited for Badlands.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

good story. stunning idiosyncratic art. deep hit of space.
medivac 318.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

Ohhhh this one is quite close and last minute votes could seal this one for 2000ad best medical drama or swing it towards its second best dibnosaur western! I'll tell you which way it goes tomorrow.

Magnetica

A bit like broodblik I going to abstain, but not because I haven't read Badlands rather I don't remember it.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Super quiet here as a number of noted voters state they need to abstain on this one. Shame cos for others Medivac 318 is a lost gem - and I include myself amongst those. More glorious Nigel Dobbyn art and more tonally fresh work from Hilary Robinson. Badlands suffered from the changes to fit it in the Prog from its original format. To that end

Medivac 318

Will get the chance to be re-evaluated in Round 2.