Main Menu

Paramount Plus To Launch in UK.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 May, 2022, 02:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

The streaming service Paramount Plus is to be made available in the UK. All your Trekkie needs will be available in one place, including the new prequel saga Strange New Worlds, with Captain Pike, Spock and Number One. Would you shell out for new TV service? Blurb line below. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/paramount-plus-britain-launch-date-south-korea-india-1235138860/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dandontdare

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 03 May, 2022, 02:00:06 PM
The streaming service Paramount Plus is to be made available in the UK. All your Trekkie needs will be available in one place, including the new prequel saga Strange New Worlds, with Captain Pike, Spock and Number One. Would you shell out for new TV service? Blurb line below. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/paramount-plus-britain-launch-date-south-korea-india-1235138860/

Good job I'm most of the way through a massive Trek rewatch, as I assume they'll be disappearing from Netflix when this happens.

Richmond Clements

After Star Trek, there's a pretty steep drop-off on in the 'things I would watch' curve. Prime has all the Bond movies. Disney has Marvel, Star Wars and have just added all the Planet of the Apes movies. I know what I'm sticking with.

IndigoPrime

Subscription fatigue is on the way. I currently subscribe to Prime, Netflix, Apple TV and Disney+. The last of those is going to lapse shortly. Netflix will probably be next. Apple TV gets a stay of execution because we have Apple One. Prime... as much as I'd like to wean myself off of Amazon entirely, I suspect it's still cheaper for me to pay for Prime than to pay for the postage we'd otherwise accrue each year, but I'm going to have to sit down one day and do the calculations. Certainly, I'm not wedded to the service at all.

I'd sooner shift to single-month subscriptions, watch a bunch of stuff, and then move on to another service. (My inkling is these services will soon figure that out and make monthly subs way more expensive than annual ones.)

oshii

I think I'm very much at subscription saturation point.  And even without that, Paramount + line up looks fairly thin gruel

Funt Solo

I don't have time for more than one sub at a time.

We exhausted Prime after a while and have since been ignoring its desperate insults about how stupid I am not to re-subscribe. Really, waiting a couple of days more for things to arrive (they often arrive a couple of days early, frankly), or waiting until I want enough items to get free delivery isn't much of a burden. I still feel dirty supporting the Empire de Bezos as he flies himself around in space and builds super-yachts bigger than small hamlets while his employees are forced to piss into plastic bottles and visit the dystopian nachtmare of the AmaZen booth. If he could, he'd go full Soylent Green on anyone who didn't meet his ever-increasing productivity targets. So, you know, not to guilt-trip you or anything, but if you're paying for Prime you're sticking needles into voodoo dolls of the working class.

I was going to talk about the other sub services but I've depressed the shit out of myself and need to go and get some therapy...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

I thought this was only available to Sky Cinema subscribers?

[EDIT: Interested in Halo series only]
Lock up your spoons!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 May, 2022, 07:22:38 PMReally, waiting a couple of days more for things to arrive (they often arrive a couple of days early, frankly), or waiting until I want enough items to get free delivery isn't much of a burden.
Mm. A lot of it is about org, and there's also an element of reliability. Amazon deliveries are, broadly, very, very tight locally. I'm not keen on ordering HC books from the company, but Amazon's great for things like toys (although we do use our local store a lot as well), cables and computing accessories, and gifts around Christmas. But I have been heading further afield where possible, not least because Amazon often isn't the cheaper option anyway these days.

As for the rest, even the kid doesn't care about Netflix now, having discovered iPlayer and Horrible Histories, so that might be one we can soon let go.

Proudhuff

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 03 May, 2022, 02:00:06 PM
All your Trekkie needs will be available in one place, including the new prequel saga Strange New Worlds, with Captain Pike, Spock and Number One.

Pike made Captain?  Bet Sargent Wilson had a hand in that.

DDT did a job on me

judgeurko

too many of these subscription services

broodblik

Quote from: judgeurko on 09 May, 2022, 10:54:42 AM

You can use this to your advantage - only have one at a time when you done you move to the next one until eventually you back to the first one (the circularly subscription method).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgeurko

Quote from: broodblik on 09 May, 2022, 12:06:20 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 09 May, 2022, 10:54:42 AM

You can use this to your advantage - only have one at a time when you done you move to the next one until eventually you back to the first one (the circularly subscription method).
Sorry in these times too much expense.

IndigoPrime

Well, you seem to be arguing for no subscription services, urko. By broad tip to people these days is to sign up to something and then immediately cancel it. If at the end of the month you still bloody love it, extend and cancel again. If you do let something go, then consider a replacement. Disney+ is now on the lapsed pile here; Netflix will be next. Then Prime, if I can figure out whether or not we still 'need' it.