Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Trek: Strange new Worlds  (Read 436 times)

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Strange new Worlds
« on: 10 May, 2022, 10:10:08 PM »

Just watched Episode One and it wasn't bad at all. A couple of clanky moments aside, and a clanger (what happened to the rest of the USS Archer's crew? Maybe they said but I missed it), I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Best of all, this iteration seems to be going back to the episode-of-the-week format - which I was wingeing about on the Picard thread. Optimism levels set to mildly cautious, interest buffers nominal, enjoyment factor six - punch it!

~~~^~~~~~~~

Dive a little deeper - all is not as it seems. "Cyber pandemic" on the way. Devices to be "quarantined" (disconnected).

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Strange new Worlds
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2022, 02:15:26 PM »

Episode 2, Children of the Comet, and this is the Star Trek I've been waiting for. Discovery and Picard certainly have their moments but this feels like (at long last) the real deal.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Dive a little deeper - all is not as it seems. "Cyber pandemic" on the way. Devices to be "quarantined" (disconnected).

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2022, 02:47:23 PM »
Watched the first episode and enjoyed it, feels much more like classic Trek than any of the newer Trek series.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Research Monkey
    • View Profile
++ map ++ thrills ++ coma ++

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »

Episode four really gave me a kick, an instant classic in my book, easily on a par with TOS's Balance of Terror. I am loving this series on all kinds of levels.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Richard

• Beast Code WWW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2022, 01:48:34 PM »
Do you have to watch it on YouTube, or is it available on tv in the UK?

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »

I'm not exactly sure. My sources are somewhat complicated.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2022, 02:26:32 PM »
Do you have to watch it on YouTube, or is it available on tv in the UK?

Legally speaking it will be available in the UK on Paramount plus on 22nd June 2022.

Or using a VPN to appear to be in the US territory and watching the US Paramount version, might work. But you'll likely be forking out for the VPN too. (I had a free one on my iPad* but it required watching ads to store up time. Not a big issue for me as they're not long, but it might bug some people. I haven't tried it on Paramount Plus yet as I'm concerned about paying for a subscription only for it not to work. And June isn't far off really. A nuisance it's not on Netflix or Amazon Prime though.

*Which I've now sold. I should see if I can get it or similar for my new Samsung device.

Richard

• Beast Code WWW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2022, 03:06:22 PM »
Thanks.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2022, 11:01:22 PM »
Finally got round to the first episode of this. It's a really rather wonderful homage to Original Trek, without feeling horribly slavish. I liked the Lt Kirk gag particularly, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mister Pops

• You're Goddamn right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 June, 2022, 01:39:47 AM »
I have been harsh on "Nu" Trek, but this show is giving me hope. Not just hope for the franchise, but that general hope for the future that Picarse and STD have utterly failed to deliver.

I still have a few nit-picks, this is the way. (spoilers up to episode 4)

Uhuru's orphan back story was just lazy cliché

The security officer is basically called Gandalf Hitler. Good character despite that.

Nurse Chapel should wear her hair in a beehive at least once so I can complain about leaning too heavily on nostalgia

The science is kinda goofy, but in that charming way that TOS did science. I have always said that Star Trek inspired my interest in science that let me understand how shonky Trek science is.

Gregory Peck's grandson does an OK Spock, but he just doesn't have Nimoy's charisma. Then again, who does?

I'll tell you who, Captain goddamn Pike. Swoon. His hair is nearly as good as mine.

I also have a soft spot for the blind engineer. He's that no nonsense professional archetype like Odo.

Number One is #1.

Overall, I'd say it's off to a stronger start than TNG or DS9.
You may quote me on that.