Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

We should have all known Pat was a strange one when he named a foul mouthed wheelie bin Roger Jaws.

M.I.K.

I've long wondered if Dredd's first name is another Clint Eastwood reference. The undertaker calls his character "Joe" in A Fistful of Dollars of course, but then there's the 1972 film, Joe Kidd, (full name Joseph, incidentally), and look where he's sitting at the end of this trailer...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 January, 2024, 06:11:41 PMI've long wondered if Dredd's first name is another Clint Eastwood reference.

According to Pat "Yeah, I really created Judge Dredd, too" Mills, his first name is a reference to one of the priests from his upbringing. Because, obviously, when you're coming up with the flagship character for your new comic, the first thing you think of is: "I know, I'll name him for an abusive priest who blighted my childhood."
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

Yep... That's the Pat Mills who wrote Dredd as a more heroic character than any other writer. Mmm-hmm.

JayzusB.Christ

I was just thinking of that particular origin story.  We'll never know for sure of course, but my overwhelming feeling is that it's absolute bollix of the first order.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Uhm ... I thought we'd agreed that Tuesday was Mills-Bashing Day?  :-\
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

There's also the fact, (which I've just remembered was previously pointed out on this thread a couple o' years ago), that Joe and Rico are names of characters in Little Caesar (1931).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 19 January, 2024, 06:49:52 PMUhm ... I thought we'd agreed that Tuesday was Mills-Bashing Day?  :-\

Sorry!  Please forget what I said, and remember it in 4 days. ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

A.Cow

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 January, 2024, 06:51:37 PMThere's also the fact, (which I've just remembered was previously pointed out on this thread a couple o' years ago), that Joe and Rico are names of characters in Little Caesar (1931).

Sounds the most likely source.  Both names were introduced at the same time in the Galaxy's Greatest, in
 Return of Rico.  A quick skim through progs confirms that Dredd was surname-only before that story.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 January, 2024, 06:20:45 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 January, 2024, 06:11:41 PMI've long wondered if Dredd's first name is another Clint Eastwood reference.

According to Pat "Yeah, I really created Judge Dredd, too" Mills, his first name is a reference to one of the priests from his upbringing. Because, obviously, when you're coming up with the flagship character for your new comic, the first thing you think of is: "I know, I'll name him for an abusive priest who blighted my childhood."

Just looking at that again - my memory of it is that he named Dredd after his school, St Joseph's, but was inspired by a priest who worked there.

Why it took him 3 or 4 decades to mention it, or why the brave good guy that saved MC2 was like that priest, eludes me.

Blue Cactus

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 January, 2024, 02:09:18 PMIt is so not like that. It would be exactly like revealing that a character called Jonny Alpha's full name was Jonathan Alpha.

Ha! Jim, you are absolutely correct.  I have to say my example was lousy and you are spot-on.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 January, 2024, 06:20:45 PMAccording to Pat "Yeah, I really created Judge Dredd, too" Mills, his first name is a reference to one of the priests from his upbringing.

Now this gets to the real meat and potatoes of the issue.  My problem with 'Joseph' is that for 18 years, did Wagner or Grant (or Mills) ever think of the character as anything but Joe?  I would argue not... until reading this post of Jim's.  If Dredd is based on a priest, then surely the bloke's name was Joseph.  So, if we can take Mill's account as true, then that would 'win' the argument and convince me Dredd was a Joseph from day one.  Otherwise, it is Joe for the win.

...and I note, with hope, the doubt that Jim has cast on PM's version of events.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 January, 2024, 05:40:38 PMLet's try hard to forget Susan Bananas.

My favourite thing about this is that it implies all hit-droids are named after fruit and there could be robots out there called stuff like Henry Nectarines.

On the Joe / Joseph debate I've no issue with it, although I've always found it odd that Joe has an 'everyman' name and Rico has an 'exotic tough guy' name when they're clone twins. Unless Rico is short for Richard?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 January, 2024, 09:35:21 AMUnless Rico is short for Richard?

Short for Enrico... a nod to the Dredd family's hispanic heritage. (Runs for cover.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.