Main Menu

Why does this site keep banging on about Reefer Madness?

Started by death monkey 23, 21 November, 2001, 07:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

death monkey 23

Wasn't Reefer Madness slightly crap?

It's definitely quite funny that there used to be all these old US films where the message was that smoking cannabis makes you kill people.  

But that story was just silly.  All that happened was they got the munchies and ate some people ha ha ha.

That was stupid and crap.  We need less of this kind of thing, and more EPICS!!!!!!!!!!!  

Shakara looks good.  Storming Heaven could be as well, if they worked enough detail into the satire.  
That's my story.

Thread Zero

Hey Death Monkey,

scojo the animal right's activist here.

You been let out of your cage again?

I told that zoo keeper but he never listens!

Only kidding!

Reefer madness was so bad I needed a joint to calm me down.

The ironies of life, eh?

scojo

nathan

>DM23: Wasn't Reefer Madness slightly crap?

Nope.

>DM23: But that story was just silly.

Of course it was silly. It was a comedy!

>DM23:  We need less of this kind of thing, and more EPICS!!!!!!!!!!!  

What was the last good 'epic' you read?

Vermin Stars?
Slaine: Secret Commonwealth?

More short stories!

N

Thread Zero

This is an interesting question.

Short v longer stories.

I must admit I like the odd epic. But I guess if you don't like the character who is having the epic, it can be painful!

Some people loathed Devlin Waugh's last story in 2k in 1999.

It was ok but John Smith is too weird even for me!
And that is saying something!!

What do other people think about short v long stories?

scojo

fraston

reefer Madness ruled!

i take it you've never read the old EC horror comics? Reefer Madness was a deliberate pastiche of these. Out of context the point can be lost somewhat.

Especially on the yoof of today.

Fraston

GordonR

>Shakara looks good. Storming Heaven could be as well, if they worked enough detail into the satire.

Umm...what satire?  

You most know more about it than anyone else because, from what little's been released about it, it sure doesn't sound like a satire of anything I can think of.

death monkey 23

Yes, BUT

you're a dickhead.

death monkey 23

So were they really right wing and anti drugs?
Or were they just old horror comics?  Or both?

Hang about.  IIIIIII know what you're talking about.  The kid in Watchmen is reading an EC comic, isn't he.

Alan Moore's old stories are amazing.  Especially V.

What's the story with Warrior magazine which V came from?  Were ALL the stories like that?

death monkey 23

Sorry.  stoned in school.  won't happen again, officer.

fraston

2000AD MESSAGE BOARD

[General] Yo Fraston: on EC comics. posted by death monkey 23 on 21 Nov 01 at 21:26
In reply to [General] Re: Why does this site keep banging on about Reefer Madness? posted by fraston on 21 Nov 01 at 16:28

"So were they really right wing and anti drugs?
Or were they just old horror comics? Or both?"

uh....neither funnily enough.
EC comics were more subversive than anything. These were during the days before the infamous wertham trials and therefore before the days when comics were so brutally censored. Tho by todays standards much of the art may seem a touch dusty, and some of the stories have been revised and told again and again, these comics were the original article and beat the shit out of anything that followed em for the next 30 years.

"Hang about. IIIIIII know what you're talking about. The kid in Watchmen is reading an EC comic, isn't he. "

sort of. that was meant to be a pastiche of ec comics, tho far more serious in tone than the original comics were.

Fraston

Matt

There is a brilliant book on the whole EC witch hunt that was responsible for decimating the industry of some really talented writers & artists. Its called 'A Vault of Horrors' and contains some original strips, as well as transcripts from the court hearings. It provides a scary insight into the commie hating, paranoid culture of 50's America.

MATT

fraston

"There is a brilliant book on the whole EC witch hunt that was responsible for decimating the industry of some really talented writers & artists. Its called 'A Vault of Horrors' and contains some original strips, as well as transcripts from the court hearings. It provides a scary insight into the commie hating, paranoid culture of 50's America"

yeh i got that last year. crazy to read the theories that the whole thing was engineered by Gaines' competitors....after all, could Warhammer try the same thing with 2000AD?

nah, stoopid innit?

fraston

O Lucky Stevie!

short versus & long? depends on what you do with, as the actress said to the bishop.

depends on what the story demands, really.

steven lenfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"