Main Menu

I prefer the Stallone Dredd uniform to the new one

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 18 August, 2011, 05:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKD

I like the Urban Dredd version. It's a good, practical (real world?) representation/translation of the comic uniform. The Stallone one looks like he's joined the Village People. Anybody else think that the picture of Stallone looks as though he's about to do the Time Warps 'Pelvic Thrust'? :o

Stew.

locustsofdeath!

I may be (definitely, probably) in the minority here but...(no, I don't like the Stallone uniform) Karl Urban's frown/grimace looks incredibly silly. I mean, that's just a silly picture. I have no real qualms about the uniform, I just hope Urban's Dredd doesn't look so forced and silly the whole movie through.

Beaky Smoochies

Gasp (!), a dissenting voice, ev'ryone get 'im!!!  I certainly wouldn't say the Empire cover pic of Dredd is "silly"- he actually looks like he means business and could give you a hiding just for looking at him funny, whilst Stallone's Dredd looks like he's about to do an all-singing, all-dancing rendition of 'YMCA'...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Toni Scandella

No, no - the grimace looks silly.  It looks silly when done by anyone playing Dredd dress up, and it looks silly when Urban does it.  Dredd should look impassive, emotionless and professional. 

Stuff that's a styalistic decision in drawings does not alway translate well - and that grimace has people looking at that cover and deciding Dredd looks the silliest character on that cover - behind a man dressed as a bat and a man dressed as a blue and red spider.

But Urban won't be gurning through the whole movie, I'm assuming, so I can live with it :)  Everything else looks finne.

SKD

As the cover picture looks as if it is a publicity shot and not a still from the film, i'm guessing the photographer asked Mr Urban to 'Pull a Dredd face'. In most of the other pictures we've seen, his features are not as exaggerated. The large image used on pages 96-97 looks great, it reminds me of Ian Gibson's Dredd from the Oxygen Desert story. :geek: :)

Stew.

Mark Taylor

The Stallone version looks like somebody took the rather impractical comic book uniform and tried to make it practical to wear - for an actor in a movie.

The Urban version looks like somebody took the rather impractical comic book uniform and tried to make it practical to wear and use - for a street cop in a violent urban environment.

...Guess which I prefer.

dweezil2

The helmet in the Stallone Dredd film was one of the few things right about the costume-but it could of been far worse-as owners of the making of Judge Dredd books can testify. Some of the Versace design concepts were frankly embarrasing-Stallone deserves at least some credit for allegedly bringing the design back closer to the look of the comic.
Not that the finished film benefitted anything from this intervention.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

locustsofdeath!

(In hopes of not being mistaken for he-who-shall-not-be-named) I've seen no still of Uban where I've said - 'Wow, hat looks like Dredd'. To me, he just doesn't seem to have demeanor of Dredd, and he certainly doesn't 'look' like Dredd, his features not being hard enough (or chin-y enough).

That said, these are just stills and his performance may cancel out my reservations.

Also, I suppose as long as the script and performances are good I can overlook any inconsistencies I feel Urban's Dredd might have.

JOE SOAP

I can't fully ascertain Urban's demeanor/behaviour from photographs -though kicking a door in is about as good as photos get and that one photo contains more Dredd action than the entire '95 film- but Urban's Dredd looks infinitely more Dreddian than Stallone's rather stiff/posed/presence lacking and strangely arrogant performance.

Stallone.Really.Didn't.Get.It.

Urban has so far done nothing to make me dislike him whereas the mere mention of Stallone's name being mentioned with Dredd set off alarm bells in my 80's mind.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 August, 2011, 01:01:03 PM

Stallone.Really.Didn't.Get.It.

Agreed. And in no way am I comparing the two. I actually like Karl Urban as an actor (well, in the parts he usually plays). And again, I am willing to overlook the fact that he doesn't look like Dredd (imo) if his acting is spot on and the script is a good one.

SKD

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 August, 2011, 01:01:03 PM
I can't fully ascertain Urban's demeanor/behaviour from photographs -though kicking a door in is about as good as photos get and that one photo contains more Dredd action than the entire '95 film.

I couldn't agree more, that picture shouts DREDD! If this had been the Stallone movie he would have been standing there, no helmet, in a vest, carrying the largest gun possible. Thrusting his golden cod piece for the full 3D effect. :o
The image on the previous page with the judge (Dredd?) running look spot on too, the proportions of the uniform/helmet/pads look good. It's not the comic version we all know and love (I don't think it ever will be) but it's a bloody good try at making, as Mark said earlier, the impractical look practical.

Stew. 

Adrian Bamforth

I didn't 'get' the new uniform when I first saw it. However, when I remembered it is actually very reminiscent of his first appearance in the comic I realised it was actually a pretty good solution to the problem of lack of  functionality. Now I think in a way it's more faithful to the source than the current comic version is (with the added benefit of making a clear distinction between the two movies).

Misanthrope

Quote from: dweezil2 on 21 August, 2011, 11:53:57 AM
The helmet in the Stallone Dredd film was one of the few things right about the costume-but it could of been far worse-as owners of the making of Judge Dredd books can testify. Some of the Versace design concepts were frankly embarrasing-Stallone deserves at least some credit for allegedly bringing the design back closer to the look of the comic.

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

dweezil2

Quote from: Misanthrope on 21 August, 2011, 05:23:09 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 21 August, 2011, 11:53:57 AM

Yep, that's the one!

Who thought Dredd was a member of Frankie Goes To Hollywood!? :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo