Main Menu

I don't think I have been more excited about anything else.

Started by Tarantino, 08 December, 2014, 09:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I'd probably avoid the 2000 AD facebook page as well if you want to avoid spoilers.

inkymonkey

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 December, 2014, 08:05:55 PM
I'd probably avoid the 2000 AD facebook page as well if you want to avoid spoilers.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve!  Avoiding now. :P

Molch-R

Really? I've gone out of my way not to post anything obviously spoilery...

Dog Deever

I'm alright with Death making continuous comebacks- you cannot kill what does not live. It kind of makes him a different category of villain to the more usual arch-baddies like Orlok or PJ- an added dimension. I'd go as far to say it's entirely appropriate to never give him a final send off without any real need to explain how he keeps coming back- he is Death and Death cannot be avoided, only delayed for a time.

I agree that the other three Dark Judges have been pretty underdeveloped over the years and entirely overshadowed by their superior- sometimes they have just felt like dumb stooges- skittles to be gunned down by Dredd. I think there's a lot of scope for them as individual characters, much like Death has sometimes appeared in his own tales.

I'm looking forward to it- what I've seen so far looks pretty tasty.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Steve Green

Quote from: Molch-R on 10 December, 2014, 12:32:00 AM

Really? I've gone out of my way not to post anything obviously spoilery...

I just mean that if you really want to avoid seeing any panels/text where you can piece stuff together, or links to review sites from the preview page.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 December, 2014, 07:27:53 PM
Quote from: Spikes on 09 December, 2014, 06:51:28 PM
But yes, im so looking forward to this. And the countdown images are killing me. Is it 9 days tomorrow, or 8?
3 if you're a subscriber.

As to the original question: what we've seen looks nice and it'll be neat to see Wagner using Anderson again but I can't say I'm particuarly excited about it. Certainly not the way I'll be excited when Indigo Prime next pops up in the Thrills of the Future.

Peasant.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Its cool that people are excited but have to agree with The Cosh on this one. Much as Wagner and Staples Dredd is exciting and looks like it will be lovely to look at I just can't get excited about the Dark Judges, who might as well be pantomime dames at this point... well for a while Death was wasn't he, or close enough.

Anyway I'd be chuffed to be proved wrong and Mr Wagner is able to revitalise them into creditable villains again, but until this happens its a strip I'll happily read for the craft but there's others in the X-mas Prog I'm looking forward to more.

Molch-R

Quote from: Steve Green on 10 December, 2014, 08:32:47 AM
I just mean that if you really want to avoid seeing any panels/text where you can piece stuff together, or links to review sites from the preview page.

Ah, not 'spoilers' in the normal sense as 'anything to do with it at all' ;)

Spaceghost

Well, I'm not a massive fan of Judge Death or the Dark Judges, but on the strength of the unbelievably beautiful artwork I've seen and the promise of some claustrophobic, ship-bound creepiness in an 'Alien' vein, I am very excited about this.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

inkymonkey

Quote from: Molch-R on 10 December, 2014, 10:08:11 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 10 December, 2014, 08:32:47 AM

Ah, not 'spoilers' in the normal sense as 'anything to do with it at all' ;)

Okay then, unavoiding 2000AD facebook page now.

Oooh.  Pretty...!

Steve Green

Or this thread for the original poster who wanted to avoid spoilers like the plague...

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Tarantino on 08 December, 2014, 09:41:14 PM
Is everyone else as excited as me, or have I now built it up out of all proportion?
Tarantino

I am. One of the all time great characters (or gangs) to have appeared in 2000AD. I would have been happier if they had never returned after 'Death Lives'. For me, that was an open and shut case and another amazing example of courage from the writing team (to kill off excellent characters). But if they have to be around at least the original tone is back too.

Gregg Staples has obviously done something almost selfless here, I think, because it works out to be a page a week....and that will be nose-to-the-grindstone for the rewards of one page, that's got to hurt on pay day. But there is no doubt in my mind this story will be a classic and there is so much value in that its not funny. So, hats off to you Mr Staples....hats off, Sir!
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Colin Zeal

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 December, 2014, 07:22:23 PM
Quote from: Colin Zeal on 09 December, 2014, 06:44:28 PM
Is there a summary online anywhere of death's last appearance? I haven't read but would like some idea of how it was left.

[spoiler]With his faithful lieutenants in enemy hands, a lonely Death finally acknowledged the futility of his attempts to single-handedly judge the world, and lapsed briefly into despair and apathy. Finally he emerged from his doubts realising he had to think bigger, and set off on a quest for Weapons of Mass Destruction. Having lucked onto a pre-Atomic War missile silo deep in the Cursed Earth, he managed to nuke Las Vegas into oblivion but his plans came a cropper before he could turn them on Mega-City One and the whole bunker was blown up with him in it. On the spectral plane, Death vowed to return, but he was overwhelmed by the massed spirits of his victims and dragged away to oblivion.[/spoiler]

Thank you.

Spikes

Quote from: Steve Green on 10 December, 2014, 10:34:44 AM
Or this thread for the original poster who wanted to avoid spoilers like the plague...

Like a moth to a flame...

But I've perfected the knack of half reading posts with one eye shut whilst squinting with the other.

As long as I don't find out who the main bad guy is gonna be, i'll be OK.

ZenArcade

With a lot of the posters here. Never over the moon about the dark judges. But Wagner and Staples a top combination. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead