Main Menu

Why was Chaos Day bad for MC1?

Started by PDitta, 15 December, 2014, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

This is an argument (if indeed that's the correct term) that we won't hammer out here. You rightly point out the several stories which deal with, in my opinion, minor localised aspects of the post disaster city and it's populace. My difficulty again is the scale of the current state of play really has not been successfully put across in the past year and a half. This has quite simply left me with a nagging feeling of dissatisfaction and a sense that I don't really buy into some of the story lines because of this. The micro stories have been done and as you say in many instances done well; it is the macro that I thirst for. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Molch-R

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 December, 2014, 06:41:35 PM
It was fairly obvious from early on that there is a fairly large percentage of the readership who weren't buying into what was produced post DOC in terms of the aftermath and editors should be alert to this and attempt to cater for it; not talk it away. Respectfully Z

As an aside, and with respect, this forum represents less than 1% of our readership. I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion but please don't believe for a second that the forum is representative of our wider readership because we have no indications that that is so.

ZenArcade

Your point is well taken Molch R, but generally the opinions of 1% (or less as you say) can be seen as a vox populi of sorts and can be treated as a general average of the mass opinion. I am as ever open to correction but is this not the way opinion polls are roughly ran. Z

Molch-R

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 December, 2014, 07:59:20 PM
Your point is well taken Molch R, but generally the opinions of 1% (or less as you say) can be seen as a vox populi of sorts and can be treated as a general average of the mass opinion. I am as ever open to correction but is this not the way opinion polls are roughly ran. Z

For opinion polls perhaps, but when you start basing editorial decisions on a self-selecting pool of less than 1% then you're in trouble ;)

ZenArcade

Hmmm, fairly put. The disgruntled squaxx will have to remain unheard and unloved then. Z :(

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 December, 2014, 07:53:19 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 December, 2014, 06:41:35 PM
It was fairly obvious from early on that there is a fairly large percentage of the readership who weren't buying into what was produced post DOC in terms of the aftermath and editors should be alert to this and attempt to cater for it; not talk it away. Respectfully Z

As an aside, and with respect, this forum represents less than 1% of our readership. I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion but please don't believe for a second that the forum is representative of our wider readership because we have no indications that that is so.

Praise Tharg otherwise I'd never get more Sinister Dexter!

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 December, 2014, 07:46:02 PMMy difficulty again is the scale of the current state of play really has not been successfully put across in the past year and a half. This has quite simply left me with a nagging feeling of dissatisfaction and a sense that I don't really buy into some of the story lines because of this.

FWIW I feel the same way.  I think the problem is that my expectations for post-Chaos don't match what has actually played out so far. I've enjoyed a lot of recent Dredd greatly, but what I took away from The Days After was that Dredd had finally lost and the old MC-1 was dead.  I was waiting for an entirely new world, maybe a contrite Dept allowing some democracy and in thrall to outside powers or something like that, and not just a smaller version of the old city. It seems to me now that that wasn't Wagner's intention, and seeing as he's writing great stories that's fine with me. But I still feel like I'm waiting for bigger changes.

ZenArcade

Couldn't put it better myself Tordel. Colin you make a great argument for editorial decisions made only after vociferous reading of postings by forum members :lol:Z

shaolin_monkey

You know, if we want more stories/scripts that we feel are reflective of a post-DOC MC-1, we could always write them ourselves. Who knows, maybe some could be submitted to 2000AD and Zarjaz!

Just a thought! :D

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2014, 05:49:09 PM
Interestingly 'Bob's Law' didn't appear for almost two years after the end of 'The Apocalypse War', and while the other stories that Jimbo cites (and many more) did deal very explicitly with the aftermath the very fact that they exist means that new stories in the same vein would be superfluous - we know all too well what post-disaster MC-1 is like, we've been there many times.

This is not a criticism of what followed DoC or your point. But The Apocalypse War was a constant unrelenting element in all the stories that followed the war. Many times it was just the ravaged city in the visuals but often stories generated as a result of war. Everything from bodies found in chem pits, presumably caused by the war, to Mayor Grubb's return, the vampire story, the refugee camps or shanty town, the revolt of the League of Fatties. It was ever present and for years. It was quite a different city.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

We saw a lot more wasteland within the city areas. It was bleak.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Theblazeuk

Quote from: radiator on 17 December, 2014, 06:02:37 PM
I'm still waiting for that 'mutant judges' story that Wagner hinted at.

Yes.

As someone who came on to regular prog-buying in the build up immediately befire Chaos Day, I have to admit Trifecta seemed more significant, though its lasting changes have been entirely personal rather than to the setting.

Grant Goggans

Maybe, with MC-1's population cleaved so badly, they'd be willing to open trade negotiations with that underground city of 15 million kids who abandoned them about eighteen years ago.

JayzusB.Christ

you clearly haven't remembered the ending of that story.   ;)

In fairness, not many have, continuity-wise
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Spikes

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 December, 2014, 08:11:20 PM
The disgruntled squaxx will have to remain unheard and unloved then. Z :(

I hear ya, Z - and I feel your pain!

But some excellent points well made, on here.