Main Menu

Promethea - too much mumbo-jumbo?

Started by Oddboy, 15 September, 2003, 03:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

I finished reading Alan Moore's Promethea Book III last night.

I've been following most of the ABC series in GN form, and while Promethea is still engaging my 'worth reading' circuits, it isn't as good as the League of ExtraOrdinary Gentlemen or Top Ten.

It starts off pretty well, but it starts getting into heavy hippy magic tutor mode & stays there for many pages at a time.  Thing is, at the same time there's a pretty good story going on in the background (especially in book 3 - with the Stacia/Grace Promethea going psychotic).

Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

Try reading it in monthlies.

Every time, you think, "What the hell was that?" and pray for something, anything, to happen the next month.

I keep meaning to reread the whole thing in one go. Doubtless it's some sort of groundbreaking magical masterpiece, but if you're not into that sort of thing it's just a comic without very much content.

However, the bits where it's good are very good.

- Trout

JamieB

Unless you've got a serious jones for the history and practice of magic, a lot of PROMETHEA will go over your head, like the Kabbalah-specific colour schemes :(

I don't understand it at all :(

J-Bo-huh?-1

Art

I love Promethea, but i wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone.

Queen Firey-Bou

"...like the Kabbalah-specific colour schemes "

ahhhh, & then it all depends which system of Kabbalah, or interpretation one uses. & that depends on yur translation of the Autiot, which depends on...Crowleys colours are rather pretty , but i think theres a liberal dose of making it up as he goes along there...

pffff. I might be an idiot but i know my mumbo jumbo.

JamieB

This is why I gave up on PROMETHEA!

J-Bo-brain-hurting-1

Trout

But if you're reading ABC, Promethea's quite important, I hear.

because...

massive

f*cking

spoilers

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

Apparently, Promethea's going to destroy the world, ending ALL the ABC comics.

Or is that just a rumour?

- Trout

petemaskreplica

I believe that is the case, yes. the bearded one is apparently quite excited by the idea of finishing off an entire line of comics on purpose.

eggonlegs

just read the collection of the first six> enjoyed it what can i say! how many more are there? also one about a technoed up city with supercops> good characters good read!!!

petemaskreplica

Book 4's recently come out in hardback.

I really like Promethea, it's not your standard superhero yarn, and quite cerebral in parts, but well worth the effort, IMO.

"one about a technoed up city with supercops"
Would that be Top Ten, egg? That's also a fab series well worth checking out. I've also recently got the first issue of the Smax spinoff miniseries, which I enjoyed. Anyone else read it?

eggonlegs

thats it!!! shockhead peter's one of em cracking read how many of them are there>????

Quirkafleeg

There's two volumns of Top Ten... plus a one off special in some anthology which I've not managed to track down (not that I've actually tried that hard)

DavidXBrunt

I could probably get you a copy Gary. My comic shop rather overstocked.

Oddboy

Yeah I got the Smax comic - don't quite know why it couldn't still be called Top Ten #whatever as it appears to follow directly on from the main series & features two of the main characters.

Better set your phaser to stun.

JamieB

Because Top Ten is about *Precinct 10*, and this is about a magic fairy-world of elves and wotnot (apparently - not had a chance to read it yet as our DC comp box is now about 2 months late, aargh!)

J-Bo-Joe-Pi-rocks-the-metal-hizzy-1