Main Menu

2023 Advent Submissions

Started by Trooper McFad, 01 December, 2023, 06:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Woody

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 17 December, 2023, 07:11:30 AMNOT From the Vaults - this is a band new piece for this year's calendar. Apologies for the delay and thanks once again to Colin for stepping in for me on the 12th.
After Mick McMahon and Greg Staples.

excellent!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dash Decent

Another dull double-up from Dash:

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Andy Lambert

From the Vaults - after Steve Dillon.

JayzusB.Christ

It's my 10000th post!  I've saved it for the Advent Calendar, and hopefully no one minds if it's a bit long.

Firstly, a festive encounter..

Next just a quick sentimental reminisce about my 21 years here on the board (both as my current self and my previous self, Jayzus B. Christ with spaces).
Highlights include: 
-Having hugely enjoyable chats with 4 different Thargs, and meeting the current one in the flesh.
-Getting to chat with the best creators in the business, legends I grew up admiring, including John Smith, Colin McNeil, Carlos freakin' Ezquerra, and latter stars like Rufus Dayglo and Mike Carroll.
-Realising a fellow boarder (Johnny Stress) lived a couple of streets away from me, and having a great time over at his house putting together our joint Advent Calendar entry.
-Meeting the very sound Rich Clements, and later the equally sound DanDon'tDare, for pints.
-Contributing to Sharky's amazing tribute booklets for both King Carlos and Ron Smith.
-The late and sadly missed W.R. Logan / Stewart Perkins sending me a complete collection of the Eagle reprints of Block Mania and Apocalypse War, which I had never read in their entirety before.  I had never met Stewart and he didn't want payment - Splundig vur Thrigg, my friend.

Thank you all for your company, you've all enhanced my life hugely over the years, and have been instrumental in getting me through the hard times.  I was young when I joined and I'm old now, but you are all the most zarjaz and scrotnig people on the internet.

10000 - I didn't think it too many! Merry Christmas all.

Jayzus B. Christ / Brian Walsh

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Wait, I'm missing some important board memories. I'll add:

-Being introduced to Eamonn Clarke's excellent podcast, and getting to do two episodes with him.
-Getting the chance to chat to Simon Fraser and Edie Nugent about their own brilliant podcast.
-getting the opportunity to ask Ron Smith and Burt himself questions via this forum.
-Suggesting that Mike Carroll revisit the Emerald Isle in his Dredd scripts, and finding that not only did he do so, but gave the Murphyville Chief Judge my surname (admittedly I'm not sure I can take credit for either of those, given Mike is from Murphyville himself and my surname is in the top three most common here. Still, I'll believe what I like.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Judge Woody

Trooper McFad

Afternoon all
I'm honoured to submit the below Christmas greetings from 4 Droids.

Mike Carroll - Script
Jake Lynch -Art
Jim Boswell - colours
Simon Bowland - lettering

The picture is fantastic for all, especially you Midnight (Proteus) fans but for the art geeks I would recommend watching the YouTube link (below the picture) and see how it comes together.

Enjoy - Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Hopefully the link works
https://youtu.be/1lO6-wg5oRk
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Funt Solo

Festive covers, part 4 of 5:

Play "Guess the Artist" on the comments thread!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Script!

SHARKY'S (CHRISTMAS) FILL3RS!
#202301c – Zanda Claws & Mrs. Snow
20~~~^~~~23

PART THREE - SOCK IT TO ME, SANTA!

PAGE ONE

F1: The G'Rnch prepares to deliver Zanda's death-stroke. Zanda, still impaled and in agony, is helpless.

SFX (G'RNCH HOWL):                          RRAAAOOOOUUUUGHGHGHSSSS

ZANDA:                                      Aaah! Curse you, soulless fiend!

MRS. SNOW (OFF, WEAK):                      ...nnh... nh... nh... nnh... nh...

F2: A bullet rips through the G'Rnch's head, killing it instantly.

SFX (GUNSHOT, OFF)                          BAM

SFX (BULLET IMPACT)                        SPATCH

SFX (G'RNCH HOWL):                          RRAAAO?...*

MRS. SNOW (OFF, WEAK):                      ...nnh... nh... nh... nh...

F3: On one knee, Zanda looks to Mrs. Snow while pulling the dead G'Rnch's appendage(s) out of his body.

ZANDA:                                      Rrrrgh... hnf... Good child... Good child, hang on.

MRS. SNOW (OFF, WEAK):                      ...nh... nh...

F4: Mrs.Snow lies unconsciousness, mortally wounded and pinned under a dead G'Rnch of her own (shot to death), as Zanda (already being healed by the Weave) staggers towards her.

ZANDA:                                      Hang on... Hang on...

PAGE TWO

F1: Zanda crouches beside the unconscious and dying Mrs.Snow and plucks a single thread from one of his white furry cuffs.

ZANDA:                                      Here, The Weave will save you as it saves me.

SFX (THREAD PLUCK):                        PLINC

F2: He lays the thread on Mrs. Snow's clothes, where it instantly branches out and begins integrating with her clothing.

ZANDA:                                      It will weave itself into your garments, gifting you health, strength, and life.

ZANDA (JOIN):                              Freely given, freely given.

F3: Mrs. Snow's body glows briefly as The Weave activates. Zanda looks satisfied.

SFX (GLOW):                                VMMM

MRS. SNOW:                                  Nh... nnh...

F4: While he waits for Mrs. Snow to recover, Zanda leafs idly through one of the discarded Progs.

ZANDA:                                      Hm. A journal? Manual? Catalogue? No. Legends.

ZANDA:                                      Stories. Fiction. Alternate universes trapped in paper. Ingenious.

F5: Very soon after. Mrs Snow begins to recover her senses. Zanda is more or less fully healed now, Mrs. Snow is about half way there.

MRS. SNOW:                                  Hhhn... It's... It's just a comic, stupid.

ZANDA:                                      Comic?

MRS. SNOW:                                  Yeah. The kind of thing that the story of my night so far would fit into perfectly.

F6: She pushes the dead G'Rnch off her with surprising ease.

ZANDA:                                      Then perhaps we too exist in this paper universe.

MRS. SNOW:                                  There's a cheery... hn... thought. Say...

MRS. SNOW (HARD JOIN):                      This thing hardly weighs anything at all.

PAGE THREE

F1: Mrs. Snow takes in her new situation, examining herself.

MRS. SNOW:                                  What did you do to me? That thing cut me wide open. I should be dead.

ZANDA (OFF?):                              The Weave healed you.

ZANDA (JOIN):                              It also increases your strength, cares for your body, enhances your senses, allows you to fly, that kind of thing.

F2: Zanda gives her brief instruction.

MRS. SNOW:                                  I can... I can fly? Like Supergirl?

ZANDA:                                      Indeed. The Weave interfaces directly with your brain, so all you have to do is tell it to fly.

MRS. SNOW:                                  And bullets... They'll just bounce off me?

ZANDA:                                      Those primitive projectiles? Absolutely.

F3: Mrs. Snow flies away to kill The Agent, drunk with this new power.

MRS. SNOW:                                  Those "primitive projectiles" just saved your life, Santa.

ZANDA:                                      It's General Zanda of the... Where are you going?

MRS. SNOW:                                  To put this gift to good use. See ya 'round, General!

F4: Zanda watches her go, fearing he might have made a mistake. Another G'Rnch howl distracts him.

ZANDA:                                      Wait! The Weave comes with responsibilities and...

SFX (G'RNCH HOWL, OFF, DISTANT):            RRAAAOOOOUUUUGHGHGH

ZANDA:                                      Oh no...

F5: The Agent, still in his office, is on the 'phone. Worried.

AGENT:                                      All of them? All the same arm? How the Hell did she...

AGENT (LONG JOIN):                          Say that again.

F6: The windows of the office shatter before a casual Mrs. Snow.

AGENT:                                      I don't know what the Hell you think you're playing at, but you're...

SFX (BREAKING GLASS):                      KRESHATTAKAI

MRS. SNOW:                                  This is my first Christmas without... alone.

MRS. SNOW (HARD JOIN):                      And you ruined it.

PAGE FOUR

F1: The Agent shoots at her. The bullets bounce off. She doesn't laugh. She's going to enjoy this...

AGENT:                                      How did you...? Oh, Mrs. Snow, I'd almost forgotten how good you and Danny were. Alas...

SFX (GUNFIRE):                              BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

AGENT:                                      Impossible!

F2: She crushes the Agent's gun, and fingers, with her hand.

AGENT:                                      You must have replaced my bullets with blanks, somehow... Who helped you? Who?

SFX (CRUSHING GUN/HAND):                    K'KNKCHSHKRAK

AGENT (JOIN):                              Aieee! Aaah! Stop! Please!

F3: She holds him up by the throat with one hand, teeth bared. The Agent is choking and terrified, powerless against her.

MRS. SNOW:                                  You sold Daniel out to the Ukrainians. Now me. Why?

AGENT:                                      Nnngh... hk... No... Not me...

MRS. SNOW:                                  Why?

F4: The Agent's two guards burst in, guns drawn. Mrs. Snow has her hand pointed at them but (uh-oh!) no energy beams!

GUARD #1:                                  Freeze, Lady!

GUARD #2:                                  Yeah! An put the Boss down!

MRS. SNOW:                                  Back off!

SFX (MRS. SNOW'S HAND):                    BOOP

MRS. SNOW (JOIN):                          Eh?

F5: Two precise lasers fired from the same point out of frame blast the startled guards' guns from their hands.

ZANDA (OFF):                                Enough of this tomfoolery.

SFX (LASERS):                              VAP VAP

GUARD #1:                                  Aaah!

GUARD #2:                                  Yowl!

PAGE FIVE

F1: Zanda (injured again but healing again) has arrived through the hole in the window, the bloody head of a G'Rnch grasped unconsciously in his hand, imploring Mrs. Snow to stop.

ZANDA:                                      If you kill that man, I will take The Weave from you.

MRS. SNOW:                                  He killed my husband. Our daughter.

ZANDA:                                      Monstrous, but insufficient.

F2: Satisfied with the half-asphyxiated but wholly startled look on The Agent's face, Mrs. Snow relents and lets go of his throat.

MRS. SNOW:                                  John Wick will never be free of this. That's why those films are so dire. Just relentless mayhem.

MRS. SNOW (HARD JOIN):                      I don't want that.

MRS. SNOW:                                  But I do want you to suffer.

F3: The Agent tries to shoot her in the back with his good hand and a spare gun but Zanda reacts first, shooting the gun from his hand with a finger laser.

MRS. SNOW:                                  If this Weave is a supercomputer, our internet's a pencil. Police have all the evidence they need.

MRS. SNOW (HARD JOIN):                      An armed unit's five minutes out.

AGENT:                                      Damn you! The Ukrainians will kill us all for this!

SFX (LASER):                                VAP

ZANDA:                                      Enough.

F4: They look down on the hunched and crying Agent, who has his mangled hands clasped to his chest as if their every bone was broken.

ZANDA:                                      We should go.

MRS. SNOW:                                  I know. Though I'd dearly love to hear him explain how Santa Claus saved him from a flying woman.

MRS. SNOW:                                  I guess we're, like, superheroes now.

F5: They fly away into the snowy night, out of the shattered office block windows and over the blizzard plagued city of Leeds.

ZANDA:                                      What does that mean?

MRS. SNOW:                                  That we're definitely not trapped in the Prog, I guess.

ZANDA:                                      A merry observation, Recruit.

MRS. SNOW:                                  Ha!    Wait, what?

STRAP:                                      THE END

STRAP 2:                                    A VERY ZARJAZ CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL, AND MAY YOUR SANTAS BE MORE AUTHENTIC! FROM MARK H. XXX
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Another delusional daily double-up:

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Andy Lambert

From the Vaults - everyone likes a word search, right...?

Judge Woody

Not sure who did the original art on this, maybe someone can help out