Main Menu

Question re Slick Dickens

Started by davidbishop, 19 February, 2009, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbishop

Could somebody remind me what happened to Truman Kaput and Slick Dickens in Prog 2002? I believe that's the only reappearance of the character and his creator since Prog 505 - but I could well be wrong - and can't lay my hands on a copy.

Ta very much!

davidbishop

radiator

Haven't read it, so can't comment. But according to the Touched by the hand of tharg site there was a 1993 appearance from SD in the Meg:

Slick Dickens: Dressed to Kill, 2 episodes, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #34-35 (8/93). Story by John Wagner, art by "Xuasus."

worldshown

As my copy was fairly close to hand.

Slick Dickens, doubting his own taste in footwear, is offered the last known pair of 1970s Elton John platform shoes by gangsters in return for killing Dredd (again). Dickens contacts Dredd and tells him to meet him by the old Brycreemery. He then makes a second call to the people with the shoes telling them thet can have Dredd's head if they meet him by the Brylcreemery. After an explosion gets Dredd's attention, two of the gangsters get shot by him, while Dickens shoots the third and escapes with the Eltons.

In Kaput's cell, Dredd slams down a copy of "Slick Dickens: Retro" in front of Truman and asks him if he knows anything about it. Kaput claims he couldn't have written it as it is full of inaccuracies. Dredd gives him a further 5 years for lying to a Judge and misrepresentation as they found Kaput's original manuscript at his publishers.

Pete Wells

QuoteI believe that's the only reappearance of the character and his creator since Prog 505 - but I could well be wrong

Yeah Dave, Slick was in the Meg Vol 2, numbers 34 & 35. The editor was some guy called Dave Bishop, quite a forgetful fella I assume!

At the start of this Xuasus painted this tale, Slick escaped from the cubes to kill Dredd (again!) Obviously, Mega City One's premier lawman was bricking it so was put on a case involving plenty of Judges, enabling them to apprehend the world's slickest thief and hitman. The ever cunning Slick managed to get past the Judges by cross dressing and once more managed to kill Dredd, this time with a las-knife to the throat. Before the judges could get him, Slick disappeared in a 'POOF' of pixie dust! As ever, the tale ended with the real Dredd adding another five years to Kaput's sentence.

Prog 2002's beautiful, Greg Staples illustrated 'Slick on the Job' saw Slick hired by gangsters to kill Dredd for the third time! They promise him a pair of vintage Eltons (platform baseball boots - like those from Pinball Wizard) and Slick can't resist, however, whilst checking out the hallowed boots we see him attach a tracking device to them... He contacts a terrified Dredd to have it out once and for all and arranges a meeting at the wasteground next to the old Brillcreamary in Sector 32; he also tells the gooons to meet him there. Five minutes before, Slick notices that the Eltons aren't moving and guesses that the mob must be double crossing him. Dredd shows up, kills the goons and Slick makes off with boots... Cut to Kaput's Iso Cube as Dredd sentences him to yet another five years.

davidbishop

Thanks! Must have downloaded all my 2000 AD/Meg knowledge into TPO to create fresh space for other stuff - Johnny Mnemonic style...