Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Well that resolution didn't last long.

Quote from: Mabs on 08 December, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
Like Tordelback has said, all of us are guilty of having said something which might've been taken as being sexist...

I wasn't arguing that such remarks were taken as being sexist, I was arguing that they are sexist or contribute to an environment where sexism is acceptable.  And that most of us are guilty of that from time to time.

As to the wider point, yes it was just a remark and not worthy of all this analysis and angst, or any specifc criticism of Grinning Chimera who seems like a decent person, but it was the dismissive response to RAC's comment that got me involved.  This one little thing isn't significant, but all the little things taken together are called a culture, and that culture is very serious and worthy of non-stop criticism until it ends.

pictsy

Killer Elite

One of the finer films featuring Jason Statham in the cast.  Based on a book by, iirc, an ex SAS member which is reportedly based on real events.  Set in the eighties against a backdrop of international assassination we follow an enigmatic Danny Bryce as he leads a covert group in a round of vengeance based assassinations of ex SAS soldiers and the subsequent response by his counterpart, Spike Logan (Clive Owen).  There is plenty in this film to maintain my attention and a certain level of intrigue that raises it above other Statham works like Crank (which is an amazingly stupid film that doesn't fail to entertain).  Apparently Statham's character is supposed to be Australian but I didn't pick up on this.  I think it's better when he doesn't attempt to do accents.
[spoiler]
The three way fight near the end was crafted well.  Not too flamboyant.  Not too drawn out.  Just right.[/spoiler]

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 08 December, 2013, 06:53:23 PM
Really can't see why there's such a fuss, it was clearly a cheeky wee quip.  And even if it wasn't, who cares??

'It's just a bit of fun' is the bullshit excuse of the sexist.

GordonR

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 08 December, 2013, 05:47:29 PM
Any females in the house care to comment?

Well, at least one of them has already said that she doesn't feel comfortable with comments and attitudes like those you've exhibited. How many more do you need?

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 07:38:39 PM
Comments can occasionally come off as unintentionally crude (i've been a victim of my own misguided decision to not proof read my posts often enough) and once you've done the deed it can take a bit to justify to people that you only intended a comment with no malice.

I wince. Despite being an atheist, I fucking wince (thanks Dad!) any time someone drops a casual exclamation of "Jesus!" in polite or professional conversation. Likewise, my mother's total disdain for the word 'tits' has conditioned me to use it pretty much only when I feel like being haughty at those I presume would use the word contemptibly and hence my own faux pas HERE. Misanthropy is often bitter, yes, but it can also be a mild ale. Something I need reminding of more times than I should, by fuck.

Anyway, back on-topic: ICE AGE 3 - DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS, for maybe the twelfth time this week.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Mabs

The twelfth time? Blimey! You've surpassed my record!   :lol:

It used to be on a continual loop in my house at one time, 'cause the kids loved it (as did I). I'm quite fond of the Ice Age films, the only poor one in the series would probably be number two, but hell, they're all good fun.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mabs on 08 December, 2013, 10:25:08 PM
I'm quite fond of the Ice Age films, the only poor one in the series would probably be number two, but hell, they're all good fun.

Enok would beg to differ. He's averaged three viewing per day since its purchase just over a week ago.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

TordelBack

willthemightyW

Blue Velvet
Was pretty good, dont think it's my favourite Lynch film, as many suggested it would be (would probably have to be Mulholland Drive... maybe), but it was very good, and very interesting. I think it will be well worth my time to watch it a second time, I can see it being one of those movies I watch again and going 'this is bollocks, what was I thinking?!' or 'Okay this is now one of my favourite movies ever', but on a first watch I enjoyed it a hell of a lot.

Also, and equal helping of both Kyle Maclachlan's penis and Isabella Rosselini's breasts, so this should be the film to appease everyone... or no one. I lost track.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

shaolin_monkey

I've been wracking my brains for films where exposed breasts are somehow intrinsic to context or plot.  There's not many:

Boogie Nights
Fatal Attraction

Erm..? Can't think of any more.

Then you have obligatory boob shots because 'romance':
Highlander
The Doors

Then there's films that have them out EVERYWHERE:
The Doors
Humanoids from the Deep
Piranha

Finally there's films where there's clearly been sex, but the woman STILL HAS HER BRA ON!!!
What Every Woman Wants
(As a previous gf once said to me while watching it 'I'd be royally pissed off if you shagged me without playing with my tits first')

My point? I dunno. Boobs are everywhere?  So are bare naked male chests? God only knows there's enough oily bicep out there to send women aquiver, and they make no bones about saying so in public, to their partners, or whoever.  Horses for courses I reckon. Everything's fair game, so long as we don't backslide into a society where the choices, opportunities and freedom women should expect are stripped away.

My favourite breasts were Salma Hayek's in 'Desperado'. I feel justified in being able to comment on them because my gf at the time was practically frothing at the lips over her co-star, Antonio Banderas. Quid Pro Quo etc etc.

Now that I've cleared all that up, shall we talk about films we've seen lately?

GrinningChimera

JamesC

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 09 December, 2013, 02:35:32 AM
I've been wracking my brains for films where exposed breasts are somehow intrinsic to context or plot.  There's not many:

Boogie Nights
Fatal Attraction

Erm..? Can't think of any more.

Then you have obligatory boob shots because 'romance':
Highlander
The Doors

Then there's films that have them out EVERYWHERE:
The Doors
Humanoids from the Deep
Piranha

Finally there's films where there's clearly been sex, but the woman STILL HAS HER BRA ON!!!
What Every Woman Wants
(As a previous gf once said to me while watching it 'I'd be royally pissed off if you shagged me without playing with my tits first')

My point? I dunno. Boobs are everywhere?  So are bare naked male chests? God only knows there's enough oily bicep out there to send women aquiver, and they make no bones about saying so in public, to their partners, or whoever.  Horses for courses I reckon. Everything's fair game, so long as we don't backslide into a society where the choices, opportunities and freedom women should expect are stripped away.

My favourite breasts were Salma Hayek's in 'Desperado'. I feel justified in being able to comment on them because my gf at the time was practically frothing at the lips over her co-star, Antonio Banderas. Quid Pro Quo etc etc.

Now that I've cleared all that up, shall we talk about films we've seen lately?

The keeping the bra on thing does always strike me as a bit weird - it just looks unrealistic and takes you out of the film a bit. It's looks better if they just keep the duvet up high.

In terms of actual genitalia on screen there's probably not much between the number of times you see female and male nudity in films. Prison films usually have nudity in.

Hawkmumbler

Let's look a little broader than genre! A startling number of French, Czech, Italian and Scandinavian films feature full frontal from both genders. Remember, it's a cultural thing in many nations and the perspective of both British and Americans has for centuries treated nudity as a taboo.

Amélie, anyone?

sheldipez

Quote from: The Souster Woman on 08 December, 2013, 10:19:17 PM
Anyway, back on-topic: ICE AGE 3 - DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS, for maybe the twelfth time this week.

Once was enough for me. It's another one of those dreamworks movies where animals fall down and make fart jokes for 90minutes. The 4th Ice Age is one of the few movies where I've had a good snooze in the cinema.
Kids like em is all that matters though.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 07:52:17 AM
Let's look a little broader than genre! A startling number of French, Czech, Italian and Scandinavian films feature full frontal from both genders. Remember, it's a cultural thing in many nations and the perspective of both British and Americans has for centuries treated nudity as a taboo.

Amélie, anyone?

Which is all missing the bloody point to a spectacular degree as usual.
The issue is not nudity in films, it is morinic, sexist remarks like "Plus you got to see a pair of tits at the end. Can't go wrong there."

If you cannot see what is wrong with that and why infantile sexist nonsense like this is off putting to female readers if and when they loo at this board, then I truely am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.