Main Menu

E-bay help, please.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 16 January, 2008, 05:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

I've just been to my mum and dads to pick up a C.D. and checked their e-mails. There's about a dozen saying I've listed a James Bond item to sale, and a couple saying the sale has been cancelled. I can't log into E-bay and, fool that I am, I think I went to one of the links in the message and tried to. It may be a bigger hoax than I thought.

Any ideas how to access my account?

House of Usher

Why can't you access your eBay account, DXB?

If you know your account name, you can get your password sent to your email account. Is that helpful?
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

It all sounds a bit peculiar. Have you actually listed a James Bond film ?

I get the impression that you havent.

It sounds like they were spoof emails.I have had a few myself but just ignored them as they were for things that i knew nothing about.

I have never heard of anyone not being able to access their own Ebay account.Thats highly unusual unless you have been banned of course.

Your account may have been compromised or hijacked and your password changed.

Could you access your account before you answered the emails?

I guess try to access your account in the normal fashion .If you cant do that then alert EBay asap.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

DavidXBrunt

Dunno Ush, just can't seem to log in. Tried two different PCs so far.

Have tried twice. There were also a couple of questions about the item and an invoice request, as well as the cancellation.

dobbsy

Sounds like you may have been phished to me.  You get an authentic-looking email from eBay, try to log-in using the handy link provided and thereby supply your username and password to the scammer.  They can then log-in as you and change your password which may account for you not being able to log-in anymore.

Any genuine message from eBay will be sent to the "messages" section of your eBay account as well as being sent to your designated email address.  It's advisable to never try to access your eBay account via a link in any email message sent to you but instead log-in to your account and then access your messages and proceed from there.

This may be too late for you DXB but could maybe help stop any others being duped.

Buddy

Goto ebay via the url (www. etc...) not through a link on an email.

Contact ebay and tell them what has happened.

It might take a while, I've found trying to contact ebay a bit of a chore in the past.

WoD

DxB - let us know your log-in and password and I'll try from here...only kidding and I hoped you didn't get phished.  If you think you have then get on to ebay right away.

Try googl-ing for the scam as well (if it is one) as they are sometimes detailed on various notice boards.

Noisybast

Happened to me a few months back. Best advice I can offer is:

1. Contact eBay's online support team. They'll get your account back within about 10 minutes.

2. Log in and change your password.

3. Contact anyone the scammer may have ripped off via the site to let them know what happened.

Hope that's of some help.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

DavidXBrunt

Somebody had altered my password. Very clever of them. Had to chat to a very patronising American to sort it. Wouldn't accept my Birthdate when I spelled it out for him, had to be in numerals before he could grasp it, then he told me off for using the proper day, month, year notation. Still, all sorted now.