Main Menu

Bone. The thread.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 31 January, 2008, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

A quick search suggests we haven't had a Bone-centric thread before - not quite - which really surprises me. A colleague sent me a huge box full of comics from her girlfriend and amongst them was a copt of the Complete Bone. I intended to keep looking through the pile but...a quick browse of the pages...hourse later Nick came home and found me still sitting where I was when she'd gone out, still reading Bone. Second time around it's just as good.

What a funny, warm-hearted, kind, clever, epic, heroic, magical book. Near perfection in cartoon form, with lovable heroes, hissable villains, comic relief that is actually funny...if you haven't read this book, well, why not?

Favourite moments please? I'm particularly fond of the snowfall sequence in chapter two.

Noisybast

Bone is excellent stuff. I picked up the first 7 or 8 books before the individual volumes went out of print. I showed it to my girlfriend (a non-comic reader) as an example of a comic that wasn't just big men beating on each other. She liked what she saw and read through every volume I had, then pestered me incessantly to get the rest. In the end, I bought her the collected edition for her birthday, and she didn't hit me with it.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

WoD

I went to buy it once and was told by the comic store owner that I wouldn't like it...so I left it...always thought he would have been wrong.

Mike Carroll

Bone is one of my all-time favourite comics. Incredibly cute and sweet without being sickening, which is quite a trick.

Best bits... There are far too many to choose from, but the line that made me fall in love with it was, "I'm Ted! I'm a bug!"

-- Mike

Noisybast

I liked "Hello, small mammal".
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Dunk!

All from the first 12 issues or so. Spoilered just in case.

Ted's brother.

The arrival of winter

The guardian BEE.

Bone's bicep.

The jaw drop.

Stupid, stupid rat creatures on the twig.

The rat creature unsuccessfully gnawing grandma's head.

All laugh out loud moments, full of Bone magic. Unfortunately it all went off the boil for me after the initial charm. Only finished it recently as i was given the complete Bone as a gift.
"Trust we"

Rob Spalding

Bone is one of my favourite books - comic or prose.
It's epic, sweet natured and a rollicking good read.

I love:
the rat creature obsessed by quiche
Bartleby's return
The reason the rat creatures are hunting the Bones - one the funniest reveals ever.
The various plots and ploys of Phoney Bone - both seen and related.
Just so much to love.

As it gets darker and broader in its sweep - it's impossible not to get carried along.

SamuelAWilkinson

Am I missing something here? Can't say that Bone's ever crossed my comics-radar. Good, is it?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

ukdane

Loved Bone, got all the floppies, and minis, and thebig fat collected edition.
Cheers

-Daney

The Adventurer

Am I missing something here? Can't say that Bone's ever crossed my comics-radar. Good, is it?

Excellent. Its epic fantasy (with a twist of comedy) at its comic best.

For those who have read Bone and want something to help fill the gap can I recomend Thieves & Kings?

Its another independent epic fantasy series that's been running just about as long as Bone has, its got 5 trades collecting about 95% of its run so its easy to get caught up on.

Its got a unique style though, for the most part its standard sequential comic storytelling, but in places its broken up by lavishly illustrated prose pieces. Which A)Help flesh out the world of T&K even more and B)Makes each trade a real bang for the buck due to how much story is crammed into each issue.

In short its a good fun adventure fantasy comic with a great cast that I actally find a bit better then Bone. All should give it a read.

You can buy the trades in the webpage I linked below's store.

Also, if you're a fan of Bone I'd recomend Jeff Smith's other projects, like Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil (DC) and his upcoming indie book RASL Monster Society was amazing, and RASL is sure to be as well.

Link: http://www.iboxpublishing.com/" target="_blank">Thieves & Kings (iBox Publishing)

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/577/cover37ih8.jpg">

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Tweak72

Jeff Smith is a God. True labour of Love. and I have a signed copy of this. Best £26 I ever Spent.http://bp2.blogger.com/_n3febsLiA_E/Rnb9ok5IZxI/AAAAAAAAAvY/aElkHzWj__c/s1600-h/Bone+one+volume.jpg">
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Tweak72

2nd time luckyhttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/188896314X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

W. R. Logan

got a sketch of him at bristol, but he didnt even have anything to draw with so Mrs Logan's Bone sketch is done in blue Biro

johnnystress

Must try and get that complete collection.

Here's a potential one for the "Gathering Dust" threadhttp://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b3/e8/96cc_1.JPG">

DavidXBrunt

Garamin - the reason behind the search for Phoney Bone is a stroke of genius. Perfectly foreshadowed. making perfect sense in context but still an almighty surprise. I doubt I've laughed so much at a comic since any time before JLA Breakdowns, and rarely as consistantly. I had to put the book down at that point because I was laughing so hard I feared fropping it.