Main Menu

Star Wars Miniatures

Started by ukdane, 23 March, 2008, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Does anyone here buy/collect/play WOTC: Star Wars Miniatures?

What do you think of it?

Where/when do you play?

Do you have any figures and cards you'd be interested in swapping/selling/buying?

Link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars" target="_blank">WOTC Home page

Cheers

-Daney

TordelBack

Why, yes. Yes  I do.  

I am horribly, horribly addicted, and have been for some years now.  I justified my entry into the hobby by saying it was cheaper and more space efficient than my first love, the 3 3/4" Hasbro figures.  Alas, I refuse to even speculate as to how many minis I have, it's not healthy to think about it, but it's probably hit four figures - after 8 sets of 60 minis in randomised 7-mini boosters (that's an absolute minimum of about 30 boosters per set), plus various theme packs, the mountain of plastic crack isn't long growing.  And I am by no means a completist.      

The game is fun, and can be very quick and simple if you want it to be, or very, very complex if that's your banana.  Themed squads (say, the main Rebel heroes, or a Jedi-led Clone Trooper unit) can be played easily, but really only for fun - the really competitive squads tend to be made of bizarre combos.  Games are also scalable, at 100, 150 or 200 point teams, with durations ranging from 20 minutes to 2 hours.  However, it is bloody expensive, even if the most powerful pieces aren't necessarily the rarest.  

I'm far more of a collector than a player, and I mainly play online on VASSAL, which is really just an online board-and-counters, and easy and pleasingly multi-platform to use.  I used to play with the good woman and a few friends, but life being what it is, these days if I'm not working, child-rearing or fixing my mother's computer, I'm posting here or trying to sleep.  

I'm moderately active on the WotC minis forum, under the same user id as here, and I enjoy playing vicariously through the  match reports and rules contretemps of the hardcore gamers, who are a pretty friendly bunch.

And I trade pretty extensively on the WotC Trade Forum, which is about the only way that a collectable minis game can be even remotely affordable.  Always up for a trade with a known quantity!

Yourself?

ukdane

Why, so you are (on the WOTC site also as ukdane). I'm a non-posting member.

I'm new to the game and collecting it, started with the 2007 starter set, but have done a fair bit of ebaying (madness) to catch up. Currently I have 50% of the 425 figures available. I don't have many duplicates that I wan't to get rid of at the moment, but am always on the look out for cheap figures I need. I'd like to get the complete set, and HATE the fact that the game is filled with Rare and Very Rare figures.
My current main WANTS are the Universe Rancor, an AT-AT (or two), RS: Boba Fett. After that I'd like to complete my RS and RoTS sets, then finish of the others. I haven't started on Force Unleashed yet.

I don't know anywhere to play locally (I do know of VASSAL, but haven't used it). But have played a few games recently, I'm trying to teach my son, but he's still a bit too young (and isn't helped by the fact he can't read the stat cards yet).

My Stats are:
RS: 50/60
CS: 35/60
ROTS: 53/60
AT-AT: 0/1
Univ: 48/60
AoE: 4/4
COTF: 6/60
BH: 43/60
SSB: 60/60
A&E: 49/60
R&I: 5/24
SS 07: 6/6
BoH: 17/17
FU: 0/60
LOTF: 0/60
Promo: 4/?
Cheers

-Daney

TordelBack

Uh, yeah, of course, obviously that's what I meant too ... I'm collecting so I can, uh, play with my son when he's old enough (30 seems about the right age to start).  ; >

I'm sure I can help you out with some of your wants, although sadly not the Universe Rancor (which is a thing of beauty).  Stormtroopers aside (can never have enough Stormtroopers), I should have doubles of most Commons and Uncommons, many of which you'd be doing me a favour to take off my hands.  I could PM you my (long) haves/wants list, if you were interested.

ukdane

Please feel free to PM me your wants/haves. I don't have many duplicates to swap, but if the price is right (ie dirt cheap :-)  ), I'll be happy to pay.

I've been trying to sort out Vassal this morning (still can't get the upgrade working) if you'd be interested in a game/teaching me the ropes?

I imagine I'll have to fork out cash for a Uni Rancor, and an AT-AT.
Cheers

-Daney

TordelBack

Probably makes more sense to link to my freshly updated Trade Thread on the WotC boards - see below.  I haven't really sold any minis yet since I enjoy the cost-free illusion of trading, although under strict orders from her indoors I've been bagging up large quantities of surplus UC[backslash]Cs for eBay (I fully expect bidding for my testicles to start any day now).  I've no idea of the price of singles, but have a look anyway - I have PayPal!

As to  having a bash at VASSAL, that sounds good - although my grasp of the rules for many of the SAs is pretty tenuous (I usually just nod and smile).  Unfortunately I'm swamped with life this week (currently the only occupant of the office on Easter Monday, while my child wonders who the scary man holding him in the photos is).  If I can dig myself out from under the paperwork in the next few days, I'd certainly be up for it.

Which update is causing problems?  I don't think I've updated in ages, but IIRC it's usually the location of the new map folder that causes trouble.

Link: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1007746" target="_blank">TordelBack's Trades...

ukdane

I sorted the Vassal update, although I can't start it from my start menu anymore.

I've had a look at your trades list, and have PM'ed you.
Cheers

-Daney

ThryllSeekyr

I just had qick lok at thr rules.

Remids me of 'Gangs of MEga City one' with cards.

I might be intrested if this had 2000AD characters.