Main Menu

Nick Dyer,, New Artists, and the road to Dredd.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 01 April, 2008, 01:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Traditionally, when the summers lasted for ever and biotronic transfers were something to use and not hoard, Tharg had a pre plotted learning curve for new droids.

Future Shocks existed, in part, as a kind of apprentice piece for new artists and if they were good enough they'd maybe get another shot, and then maybe another and then things progressed in various directions. Some fell by the wayside. Some found work elsewhere. Some got to create new strips, Some were given jobs on established multi artist strips, which usually meant Dredd. I could be wrong and there could be dozens of cases of a novice droid debuting on the most important strip in the comic (1) but I don't think there are really that many.

These days things are different. Steve Roberts (2), for instance, was thrown in at the deep end on Sinister Dexter, though some would say that period circe the late 1200's saw that strip became a de facto apprentice piece with Dan Abnett commisioned for many, many one offs filling the slot Future Shcoks would have taken - but that's another debate entirely.

Which brings me to the point of the post (3). Nick Dyers work on Derdd has been, amongst the vocal minority (4) somewhat controversial. Some claim that he isn't ready for the biggest game in town. Others have been slowly won over, others already knew and liked his work from the staple gun and guilletine-tastic world of Small press. For my part I didn't realise it was his proffesional 2k debut and didn't realise it was controversial. I liked it though, and it reminded me of Cam Kennedy (5).

It was cartoony (6), energetic, full of interesting detail and the world was recognisable. Dredd was imposing, the kid was cute enough for a Robbie Morrison script, the panoramas some of the best this side of Ron Smith (7). In the whole of the first 24 pages there's only one thing I think a more experienced artist would have doen differently, adn that involved the sniffer droid. It's introduced as a small sketch drawing and we see it properly after four or so panels. New tech needs to be seen first, I suppose, otherwise the readers don't know what they're visualising. But what do I know? I'm not that bloke with the glasses (8).

It's a big gamble for an artist to take on a job like this, when it's not just Dredd but a strip that ties into the ongoing, popular story arc. For not just gibbering and panicing and wetting himself Nick should be applauded (9), and Tharg has made a brave move. I think it's one that's paid off and I hope to see more Nick Dyer art in the future, on Dredd, Dredd world stips, and original stuff.

So, that's what I think. What about you? I trust we can all remember that were talking about a new artist who may not be as used to the slings and arrows of outrageous fan reaction as a career hardened rust bucket.  Should Dredd be the testing ground of new droids? If so should it only be on one off strips by guest writers and not seemingly pivotal scripts by The Wag? (10) Future Shocks no longer have a place in modern 2k, it seems, so where else will new droids hone their skills? Is small press work enough evidence of talent? And really, really, really, at the end of the day should we care whether a droid is newly mintes or not when they tell the tale clearly and with enthusiasm. I can think of a few older droids who don't seem to be putting in half the effort (11).

Over to you. Or not, s the case may be.

---------------

(1) Yes Pat, only amongst British Comic Readers. Everyone else likes Slaine better.

(2) Oi! Tharg! Hire him more often!

(3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHksDFHTQI

(4) Does he mean us? Surely not!

(5) That's a compiment.

(6) Or if you prefer Iconic. Now stop seething Si.

(7) Now that really is a compliment, trust me.

(8) You know the one. Black hair and glassed. Like a less Hogwarty Harry Potter.

(9) or for doing all that and still getting the work out. Same thing.

(10) Not going to catch on, is it?

(11) Cough! Ian Gibson! Cough!

House of Usher

Poll!

I think Nick did a great job on Dredd, and passed the test. It's up to the editor to say things like "next time, can you do the faces a bit more like this, the eyes a bit less like that", etc.

I definitely want to see more Nick Dyer in 2000ad. Not just because he's a slavish imitator, but because he can draw a damn good comic strip! His like does not come along very often, and when it does we should be glad.
STRIKE !!!

Dave Kendall

I've always remembered reading about Will Sampson who played Chief in One flew over the cuckoos nest. His son was due to take this part in the Broadway play and was very anxious about filling his fathers shoes and the criticism he might draw. I think what Will told his son can give comfort to so many people trying to pursue a difficult career or dream. He said. "If you want to avoid criticism you do three things. Say nothing, Do nothing and Be nothing."

Ignatzmonster

The answer is hell yes put them on Dredd if they are ready for primetime. Dyer is, so I'm fine with his being used. And can I just say that that one of the many factors that makes Dredd, and tooth in general, great is the idiosyncracy of the artists. You only need a panel to know who's drawing what in tooth. Each artist resembles no one but themselves, and I love that no artist is truly revered until they reach that moment.

On that note, I'm kind of iffy on Goddard's work on Savage. His style is too smooth for me. If I wanted smooth I'd read the Big Two's comics. I miss Adlard. If he had to be replaced why not call someone like Fraser

TordelBack

I don't remember seeing Nick Dyer's work before, although it is vaguely familiar  (was it in the Meg's Small Press slot?).  Cartoony isn't my thing for 'serious' strips, but I think his work on Dredd is quite brilliant, for reasons I've elaborated on various review threads that no-one wants to see again.  

I'd rather see someone fresh and exciting getting to grips with Dredd (which took Nick about 6 pages), than a tired old droid wheeled out to do his party piece (and I'm not talking about Gibson (who lest we forget did us proud during the Origins intermission)).  Dredd art has always been about pushing taste limits, and it's a familiar feeling to revisit a story whose art you remember disliking and instead being bowled over by it.

It's a risky proposition putting a relative noob on your flagship story, but Tharg (and maybe John) thought that Dyer was ready, and IMHO it paid off with some of the most fascinating work on the strip in years.

If people don't like the art, or don't thik it's appropriate, that's fine.  There are plenty of artists I never want to see on Dredd again.

But the duration of your Service to Thrillpower shouldn't be what determines your access to Dredd - it should be based on what you have to offer.  It ain't the length of the pencil that matters, it's the lead in the point.

BTW, great post, DXB.

LARF

Nick's work is brilliant. I'm not going to get into postulating about bits that may or may not need improving, but his line art is clean, his story telling is directive, characterisation is distinct and his Dredd is Dredd. I think he should be given a big pat on the back and there's a drink at the bar for him in Bristol if he wants it?

Dunk!

Everything Larf said, except I'm not going to Bristol so I'll have to owe Nick one.
"Trust we"

LARF

"There are plenty of artists I never want to see on Dredd again."

Take into consideration what TordelBack's just mentioned (above) and compare Nick's artwork with John McCreas from the cover of Meg 269 - Nick wins hands down and John's been round the houses...

Bolt-01

I've been familiar with nicks work for a good while now (and he's got some unpublished pages that will be airing at Bristol that are superb) so when I heard he'd got a Dredd gig I was well made up for him.

His Storytelling is top-notch. No questions there.

It is a difficult thing for a new droid to get in with Tharg- I hope to see Nick's art again pretty soon.

bolt-01

Dark Jimbo

I think the problem is that for some very few people, Dredd stories, particularly when written by Wagner and particularly when involving the Fargos and other important continuity elements, seems to be more important to them than home, family, politics or food - all the negative comments seem to have almost all been aimed at the fact he's drawing Dredd rather than any shortcomings in the art itself.

I like Old Stoney Face as much as the next Squaxx, but let's keep it all in proportion, shall we? It is, at the end of the day, just a comic, and getting the chance to draw for Tooth is presumably one of the greatest achievements in Nick's life (never met him, but I would imagine - it certainly would be for me). Can we stop being so bloody precious about Dredd and just be happy for the guy?
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

I never said that i didnt like it per se,and i am not a Dredd freak i just found it a little too cartoony for my tastes but having said that [and not having read this weeks prog yet as i dont get mine until wednesday] in last weeks Dredd i can see his style changing already.I would have said this regardless of what strip Nick was drawing although i did say before i didnt think it was quite suitable for the strip but it would be sour grapes not to wish  him all the best.

So although i am not going to say i like it when i dont ,i can easily see myself getting to like it as there is plenty of energy in it.So its really too early to say if i dont like nick Dyer and anyway he is a much more accomplished artist than i am in terms of filling boxes and telling a story.

If artists dont come from the small press ,where do they come from ? I suppose some dont.

One thing i can say for sure is that getting feedback be it good or bad is far better than not getting any or being ignored.

"I've always remembered reading about Will Sampson who played Chief in One flew over the cuckoos nest. His son was due to take this part in the Broadway play and was very anxious about filling his fathers shoes and the criticism he might draw. I think what Will told his son can give comfort to so many people trying to pursue a difficult career or dream. He said. "If you want to avoid criticism you do three things. Say nothing, Do nothing and Be nothing."

And thanks Dave Kendall you hit the nail on the head better than anyone with that observation.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

IndigoPrime

"all the negative comments seem to have almost all been aimed at the fact he's drawing Dredd rather than any shortcomings in the art itself"

For me, the problem is that he's drawing THIS Dredd tale, and that's only because the art jars against what's already gone on in this particular thread. Otherwise, as I've said elsewhere, I think the guy's perfectly suited to the character, as long as he can stop being so Manga with the faces.

satchmo

"If artists dont come from the small press ,where do they come from ?"

A very good point, Peter. They certainly don't come from other British comics, because there aren't very many of those are there?!

I love Nick Dyer's accomplished and atmospheric art on Dredd, and hope to see it often in the years to come.

I'm glad he's started out on the big dog. Plenty of artists have moved on to other things after working on less popular stories. Frank Quitely's Megazine work, brilliant as it is, is mostly for stories I never thought that much of, like Missionary Man.

The idea that it's some small press conspiracy to pretend he's good because he's "one of us" is absolutely pathetic.

I think theres a bit of a schism when it comes to tooth fans, especially at Bristol when you hear people complaining that this message board decides the Eagles by block voting for Carlos Ezquerra and Dredd. It's bullshit, or Tom Frame would have won last year, but people are saying it.

I understand that for many people 2000AD is the only comic they read, and thats cool and the gang. If anything it shows how thrill power gets under your skin, even after you might have given up on other comics or stuff you used to do.

But there are also those who are interested in comics of all different kinds too, including indie comics, "artcomics" or small press.

Trout

Sorry chaps, I still think it's wrong for the strip. I've warmed to it a bit over the past few weeks, but I think it's a type of art that shouldn't be seen on a Dredd strip with established, recognisable characters that continues a significant storyline.

I agree that established artists might also have created inappropriate or simply poor art, but that's not the point - I want strong Dredd art.

That said, I'd welcome Nick Dyer's work on another story in the prog or Meg and I applaud him for making a breakthrough from the small press.

I'm also a big fan of Wildy and suspect nobody's ever going to draw the character quite as well as this!
It's good stuff but not quite right for Dredd.

- Trout