Main Menu

Losing the plot - the need to get up to speed.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 12 April, 2008, 12:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Now I have a fairly good memory and usually have no problems picking up lot threads in returning strips even when it's been ever so never such a long time between runs.

So why oh why oh why am I so in the dark about what's going on in the current run of Ten Seconders?

Is it just old age creeping up on me? Should the recap box on the inside front cover be larger so it can go into more detail than a rough precis of the background?

Is the writing at fault and more effort should have been made to explain things for new readers who would be potentially as lost as someone who not only liked the first run but can quote dialogue?

Should there be a return of those intro pages from the mid nineties. Valkerys got one, though as it was a new strip the need to info dump the character details on us before starting was a warning as to the quality?

Is it just that this strip is a direct continuation as opposed to a discrete second story, like Stickleback that's confusing me? Should first episodes of continuing strips make an effort to explain things?

Is this just a side effect of the graphic novel age in which stories sometimes feel like a long story cut into uncomfortable chunks for initial punlication instead of episodes in their own right?

If there can be story so far boxes in Dredd why not other strips?

Am I alone in this and everyone else is in the thick of the story and loving it. If so please tell me what went bfore.

Actually don't bother. If I'm still lost this far in I don't think I want to know. Now Dom Reardon is off the strip it's not even incomprehensible but beautiful. (1)

Still, please I would love to hear your views on the matter. Off you go. Or not, as the case may be.

------

(1) When I was a student I had a Japanese flatmate who was like that. She spoke little English, I spoke no Japanese but I could stare at her for hours.

Devons Daddy

age i would say old boy!

a quick look back at the ten seconders,shows that one got taken and made into a god, a couple more escaped,basically the team got split up.

i would say we are in a pretty damn fine story arc,but you need to keep with it and see the threads come together,
adult story telling,always a hard sell for the opening in any medium,the few tv shows which offer it either fall on their face or create immense and brillant platforms,

my money is on ten seconders makeing a outstanding complete volume.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Jared Katooie

It's not a problem I have generally, and I have a TERRIBLE memory. I guess it's to do with whether you have a hectic lifestyle or not.

For what it's worth, I dont think we're supposed to know the full story of what's going on yet. If you dont know why something is happening, ie. that business with the satellite, it's probably because it hasn't been explained yet.

Generally, I find recaps to be a bit dull. If it takes up a space that could be filled with strip then I'm against the idea.

Peter Wolf

I have had a bit of a problem with that strip as i find somehow it lurches forward and doesnt quite flow coherently.[I like the art]

since becoming a reader again i have noticed a general lack of story so far boxes in the corner like it was in the old days.

I cant see any justification for not having them in the longer strips anyway and they take up so little space.Not because i have a bad memory but i just like having them there.It was only ever one little box in the corner of the first page and for the new reader it gave them a bit of an explanation of the context.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death