Main Menu

No watchmen imax in scotland!

Started by The Monarch, 24 February, 2009, 02:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

from the daily record

QuoteFILM fans in Scotland will be denied the chance to see one of this year's biggest films as it was intended after the country's only IMAX screen refused to show it.

Watchmen, based on Alan Moore's iconic graphic novel, hits screens in March after more than 20 years in development and has already been rave reviews from preview screenings.

As well as the regular cinema version, director Zach Snyder has made the movie in IMAX - which uses a bigger print and requires a much larger cinema screen.

But as the film, which features a number of violent scenes, has been given an 18 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification, the Science Centre in Glasgow has now decided not to show it.

And it means cinemagoers wanting to see the IMAX version of the movie face travelling to Liverpool, Manchester or Bradford - or missing out on the IMAX version.

"Unfortunately, Watchmen has been given a 18 certificate so we are no longer screening the film as it does not fit in with our family audience," confirmed a spokeswoman for the Science Centre.

"The next feature film that we will be screening is Monster vs. Aliens in April."

The Science Centre as shown a number of hit blockbusters in IMAX - most recently Oscar-winning Batman sequel The Dark Knight, which was a 12A.

Bullshit utter utter bullshit I wanted to go see it in imax

Buddy

Huh! we don't even HAVE an Imax screen in Norn Iron!

(Well we do but it's being 'refurbished' for as long as I can remember!)

Steve Green

I'm pretty sure it wasn't filmed in IMAX, it's just an upconversion.

The Dark Knight only managed to be filmed partially using IMAX cameras, so I would doubt they would risk it on Watchmen.

Upconversions do look quite nice, but it's not as amazing looking as the proper IMAX sequences in TDK - that said a bunch of the people I went to see TDK with didn't even notice that it switched between formats.

Cheers,

Steve

radiator

I was contemplating seeing this in IMAX, but even the BFI website doesn't actually state whether it has 'true' IMAX segments, 3d bits or if its just blown up to IMAX size.

That and I don't think I'll be able to convince my girlfriend to see it with me, and my only comic-geek pal is refusing to see the film on principal!

Keef Monkey

Aw shitsticks. I'd decided it definitely needed seen in Imax but now I'll need to go elsewhere. Glasgow Science Centre can tongue my balls. That's how mature I feel about the situation.

Goaty

any IMAX never got subtitles... so that pointless for me!  but sorry mate of it not in scotland. :( is that a bitch?

Roger Godpleton

This is what happens when you choose not to be born in England.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Monarch

Buttonman

Isn't it marvellous that a public funded body can pick and chose what they show and when? Today they have on Space Station 3D, Deep Sea 3D and dark Knight 2D. I would wager that seats are available for all screenings. They then have the gall to say their next new film will be along in April!

Even if the film isn't true IMAX it'd still benefit from the facilities and you'd think with the economic climate an event like this would be like a golden goose to them.

If they showed Watchmen they could pack out three shows a day at £9 a pop and make many thousands of pounds which could go some way to repaying the massive public investment. To sniffily say that Watchmen doesn't match their family policy makes them, in my mind, a bunch of self rightous twats.

TordelBack

QuoteTo sniffily say that Watchmen doesn't match their family policy makes them, in my mind, a bunch of self rightous twats.

At least they aren't giant blue pricks!

Proudhuff

Isn't it subsidised? so they don't have to make a buck, a yen, or a pound or lower themselves to having to worry about generating funds or giving the public what they would like..., just stay shut for long periods of time while they try and fix the brand new bits that seldom work, its another Glasgow cash cow, who remember's Glasgow's Garden carry-on or indeed its City of Culture?
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Kinda the point I was trying to make Huff - pay attention and see me after class.

Proudhuff

Sorry sir, i was watching that weegie trying to wire your car sir.
DDT did a job on me

Bouwel

Thankfully I'm close to both the Manchester and Liverpool screens.

2000AD Board road-trip to see it, anyone?

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

I never knew families were another special interest group that have public money allocated to them exclusively but there you go you live and learn.

Lets start a comic fan special interest group with which to lobby the PC Govt to get public funding and say Scottish comic fans are marginalised and undepresented and most of all underfunded.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death