Main Menu

NaNoWriMo

Started by SamuelAWilkinson, 28 October, 2008, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Okay, someone try and remember to drag this thread up by mid-october at the latest :)

Cthulouis

QuoteAll work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

You know, the way you can keep your finger on ctrl then keep hitting V means that scene has lost it's impact to the modern generations...

paulvonscott

Perhaps if you were to text it to someone?

Mardroid

I just came across this, so I doubt I'll take part.

I started writing a short story years ago, and just haven't stuck with it. It was supposed to be 1 of many interrelated stories in one volume (I have ideas for the others too.) I actually wrote a shorter, rubbisher version when I was at school for a creative writing assignment a bare skeleton of what the story has become.

Since then I have written some future shock comic type things, although I've yet to send anything in. Partly due to running out of black ink on my printer, (my printer seems to automatically choose blue for some reason.) and partly, well, fear if I'm honest. I think their as good as many I've read in the prog story-wise but there are other issues, i.e. is it original enough? Will they get the humor or is it too silly? Too wordy? etc. I plan on sending one in soon though. You don't know until you try do you?

I'd like to get back to the more conventional story writing too. It's nice to just write a story without worrying about panels per page etc. Of course there you have the added worry of writing in an interesting way since people will see the words directly rather than an artists interpretation. You have to do that to some extent with comics writing too, i.e. to keep the artist interested, but it's not as important as you have to keep things concise, and you're essentially describing scenes. So it's all swings and roundabouts... (Sigh.)

Mardroid

Off-topic but I've noticed i'm a prog-stacking droid now! I quite liked being a tea-bot too. I like tea.

SamuelAWilkinson

Three consecutive nights on the sauce have left me well behind and well knackered. Looks like no Xbox for me this weekend...
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

paulvonscott

"and partly, well, fear if I'm honest."

You send it in, they say they don't want it and if you're lucky, why.

Not a lot to be afraid of to be honest.  

If they came around your house and whipped you with bamboo sticks...

Roger Godpleton

Tragically I haven't had time to unleash "Roger Godpleton: A Prince among Knife Fighters" upon the world.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mardroid

Quote from: "paulvonscott""and partly, well, fear if I'm honest."

You send it in, they say they don't want it and if you're lucky, why.

Not a lot to be afraid of to be honest.  

If they came around your house and whipped you with bamboo sticks...

Heh, yeah Tharg is a kinky bugger. Haven't you seen those wacked out little robots in that Droid's Life strip?

Heh. It's pretty wimpy of me I'll admit. Natural enough though, noone like rejection do they? .  Maybe 'fear' is a strong word. Perhaps 'worry' would be better. And a strange shyness of showing ones work.

Actually I can take it. It's more worry as to the nature of the criticism. Constructive criticism = fine. 'This is juvenile crap' = bad. (Not that I think it is, but again with the worry.) To be fair, the few replies samples I've seen from other droids seem to fit mainly in the former category. I'll certainly send them in though. Once I get the inky thing sorted.

Lucifal

Quote from: "Mardroid"Natural enough though, no one likes rejection do they?

At least if you never submit anything you'll never get a rejection letter. Doh!

Mardroid

Quote from: "Lucifal"
Quote from: "Mardroid"Natural enough though, no one likes rejection do they?

At least if you never submit anything you'll never get a rejection letter. Doh!
Well... exactly. ;)
(I'm aware how daft that is.)

Tiplodocus

An update from me:

Well, I managed about another 1000 or so words in my Zombie Magnum Opus but was then struck by an idea which I thought was great enough to base a nice short story on. So now it's been turned into a Terror Tale.

So I've stopped my zombie novel and am now half way through a zombie terror tale which I shall be submitting very shortly.

So  not exactly the desired result but a good one none the less.  

Thanks to whoever brought this thread up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bad Andy

Wow. Wish I'd have seen this a month ago.

paulvonscott

Heh, yeah, I got into it a bit late as well.  Still, I managed my 50,000 words in time like a true hac- er, pro.

It did give me the boost I needed to give it a go, and although there is still work to do, I'm getting there!