Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 31 October, 2021, 09:25:19 AM
The kid was super annoying (deliberately but still hard to watch)...

I was getting this vibe a little bit.  Nevertheless, I found myself reading Samuel as being neurodivergent so I ran with it, because I figured the film was making a point.  I'm glad I did because I found the Samuel to be a really compelling character in the end and Noah Wiseman did an excellent job in the role.

I didn't find the Babadook especially scary, either.  I don't think that's where the horror is in this film.

I can understand you not enjoying it, though.

pictsy

The Mist

Okay, I'm cheating.  This movie is still playing as I write this, but fucking hell, why is this film regarded so highly?

It is contrived, cliched, awful looking, nihilistic garbage.  It does the idea of exploring the horrors of humanity and the failures of people a disservice by being so derivative.  It is almost entirely predictable and lacks any kind of charisma to carry the trite characterisations and conflicts.  I seriously don't understand why this is so highly regarded.  Watching it in Black and White surely can't make it any less a steaming pile of shit.  It looks bad.  The CGI is terrible and the monster designs are generic and boring.

Hey, you know what film does this concept much better.  Krampus. 

The Mist.  More like fucking shit.

I wish I turned it off when I realised this was utter crap. I skipped through to the end and I don't care. 

Bare in mind, I watched Jason takes Manhattan in it's entirety.  What the hell did that film have to keep me engaged to the end that this film lacked?

broodblik

Watched the new Dune in an Imax theater. Enjoyed it and like the scope of the movie
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Quote from: pictsy on 31 October, 2021, 11:54:13 PM
The Mist

Okay, I'm cheating.  This movie is still playing as I write this, but fucking hell, why is this film regarded so highly?

Ah, have you confused it with the 80's film The Fog?  That might explain some of the positive regard.  That one is worth a gander (warning: this is based on recollection of viewing the film back in the eighties!)

pictsy

Quote from: Tjm86 on 01 November, 2021, 07:41:20 AM
Ah, have you confused it with the 80's film The Fog?  That might explain some of the positive regard.  That one is worth a gander (warning: this is based on recollection of viewing the film back in the eighties!)

No, unfortunately I didn't confuse the films.  The Mist has been recommended to me more than once.  I have seen The Fog and I can say that film is a lot better.

repoman

My Halloween horror film was Till Death.

Which wasn't really a horror film but more a thriller I guess.  Interesting premise and it plays out with a lot less stupidity than something like Halloween Kills.

It was only really let down by Megan Fox who has all the personality and acting chops of a very aloof cat.  If you did that exact same film but with a decent actress like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, it'd be a much easier film to recommend.  But it was pretty short and never dull, so I quite liked it.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: pictsy on 31 October, 2021, 11:54:13 PM
The Mist

It is contrived, cliched, awful looking, nihilistic garbage.  It does the idea of exploring the horrors of humanity and the failures of people a disservice by being so derivative.  It is almost entirely predictable and lacks any kind of charisma to carry the trite characterisations and conflicts.  I seriously don't understand why this is so highly regarded.  Watching it in Black and White surely can't make it any less a steaming pile of shit.  It looks bad.  The CGI is terrible and the monster designs are generic and boring.
Hey, you know what film does this concept much better.  Krampus. 
The Mist.  More like fucking shit.
I wish I turned it off when I realised this was utter crap. I skipped through to the end and I don't care. 
Bare in mind, I watched Jason takes Manhattan in it's entirety.  What the hell did that film have to keep me engaged to the end that this film lacked?

Ah, The Mist is an allegory of the post 9/11 world that shows American civilians must pay a terrible price for the power America enjoys. Its movie's theme can be difficult to disentangle from a face value horror story of humans trapped in an Alien environment. The monsters lurking in the Mist is American power, and that's why you see what you see at the end. That's why the Military, who initiate the crisis with the Arrowhead Project, end up riding to the rescue, but far too late. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

pictsy

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 01 November, 2021, 11:37:36 AM
Ah, The Mist is an allegory of the post 9/11 world that shows American civilians must pay a terrible price for the power America enjoys. Its movie's theme can be difficult to disentangle from a face value horror story of humans trapped in an Alien environment. The monsters lurking in the Mist is American power, and that's why you see what you see at the end. That's why the Military, who initiate the crisis with the Arrowhead Project, end up riding to the rescue, but far too late. 

This reading of the film makes me hate it more.  I didn't think that was possible.  I really hate that film.

milstar

Airplane!

Maybe it sounds as blasphemy watching this next to my jack o' lantern in the most frightening night in year, but jack didn't complain. And I am sure he laughed as I did. Not every joke wasted and every joke somehow brilliantly fits, especially with Karim Abdul Jabar. According to one scientific study, it is the funnies film ever. Whether it may be true, I'll definitely say, if not at the top, then is very near.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

I have read that Airplane! has more jokes per minute than any other. I don't know how true it is, but I did read that - in Empire.

---

Plus one vote for the Babadook being a very good movie.

---

What is this Mist that you speak of? Is it worse than Myst?*

* I just watched the trailer and it's set in a US supermarket, so it's already way too close to mundane reality to be watched. It's like when I dream about work - I feel cheated out of the additional pay.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: milstar on 30 October, 2021, 10:07:30 PM
Kevin Costner's Robin Hood

Morgan Freeman thespian skills as sturdy, sober Robin's sidekick leaves Kevin in the dust. But he really shouldn't be in the film. His presence gives rather a contemporary feel and not the 12the century England and whose part serves as an excuse to address current religious and racial themes.

'contemporary feel'?  Because you don't know there were black people in England in the 12th century?

milstar

Quote from: sheridan on 01 November, 2021, 10:18:07 PM

Morgan Freeman thespian skills as sturdy, sober Robin's sidekick leaves Kevin in the dust. But he really shouldn't be in the film. His presence gives rather a contemporary feel and not the 12the century England and whose part serves as an excuse to address current religious and racial themes.

'contemporary feel'?  Because you don't know there were black people in England in the 12th century?

That's odd statement. Plus, they definitely weren't in the role shown in the movie.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 November, 2021, 10:02:08 PM
What is this Mist that you speak of? Is it worse than Myst?*
As in the computer game?  I never played really it.  Is it that bad then?

* I just watched the trailer and it's set in a US supermarket, so it's already way too close to mundane reality to be watched. It's like when I dream about work - I feel cheated out of the additional pay.

Feeling cheated is a good way to describe my experience.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 01 November, 2021, 10:33:22 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 01 November, 2021, 10:18:07 PM

That's odd statement. Plus, they definitely weren't in the role shown in the movie.

1. And you would know this how?
2. Robin Hood is made up anyway, so it can do anything it likes, really.
3. You said there were no black folk in WW2 then, when you were shown photos of black folk in WW2 you carried on saying they didn't exist, because..?
4. You said there were no black cowboys then, when you were shown evidence that about a quarter of workers in the range-cattle industry of the late 1800s were black you said that was "extremely scarce". A quarter. One fourth. One in four.

Seems like you just don't like black people existing.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 November, 2021, 12:26:56 AM

1. And you would know this how?
2. Robin Hood is made up anyway, so it can do anything it likes, really.
3. You said there were no black folk in WW2 then, when you were shown photos of black folk in WW2 you carried on saying they didn't exist, because..?
4. You said there were no black cowboys then, when you were shown evidence that about a quarter of workers in the range-cattle industry of the late 1800s were black you said that was "extremely scarce". A quarter. One fourth. One in four.

Seems like you just don't like black people existing.

What I don't like, is bending the history that was established well before us. That's how I know. In this case, the talk is about 12th century England. Besides, every legend originated in the truth. And if my remark bothered you, why did you respond in the first place?