Main Menu

2000 AD to hit US shores – every week

Started by Molch-R, 08 June, 2011, 04:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Oh thank god. Though, actually it doesn't change much for me, as I get my comics shipped to me monthly. At least this way there will never be an 'off month' with no Prog pack, or the dreaded 'DOUBLE PROG PACK MONTH' that kills my pocketbook.

Fantastic news, now if only Diamond won't screw it up!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

O Lucky Stevie!

Oddly enough, Stevie's LCS has been seriously considering cutting Diamond out of the loop entirely & sourcing directly from the 2000ad shop.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Hoagy

That's a point, albeit a tangible one. Has 2000ad ever offered wholesale deals to LCS's?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SmallBlueThing

And, more to the point (from the point of view of my thrill-storage capacity and a certain person's cellar) will there be specific changes in the printrun, like dollars instead of pounds in the price?
:-/
SBT

Grant Goggans

Dear Tharg: SmallBlueThing is onto a winner!  Label the prog with the actual exchange rate and quit letting Diamond jack up the price!  I think it's like five US dollars now.

Mudcrab

Yeh, have a label like the old albums, "Pay no more than £3 for this record"  :D

Hooray for Tharg's reach though.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Steve Green

Vaguely related - but I've never quite figured out why UK published magazines are a fixed price in the UK?

I'm guessing it's something to do with newspapers being a source of information, and an agreement, or law that indiviudal vendors can't alter the cover price.

Just seems a bit weird that at a store, food and drink varies wildly, (and books for that matter) but magazines and newspapers always stick to the cover price (apart from imports)

Just curious.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 June, 2011, 12:41:05 PM
Vaguely related - but I've never quite figured out why UK published magazines are a fixed price in the UK?

I'm guessing it's something to do with newspapers being a source of information, and an agreement, or law that indiviudal vendors can't alter the cover price.

Just seems a bit weird that at a store, food and drink varies wildly, (and books for that matter) but magazines and newspapers always stick to the cover price (apart from imports)

Just curious.

As well as that how do shops make money out of selling magazines ?

They are sent them by the distributor so do shops buy magazines somewhere below the published price ?

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

IndigoPrime

Yes, distributors mark-up publications for sale. No idea about magazines and newspapers retaining an almost bullet-proof SRP though.

James Stacey

Excellent news

Quote from: Molch-R on 08 June, 2011, 04:32:56 PM
individual issues, known as 'progs'

How's that pronounced again ?

locustsofdeath!

Tharg!!! Did this happen?

I only ask because no comics dealer in my area sells progs - I have seen the Meg at the local Barnes & Nobles, but no progs. I'm getting a bit desperate here - so far, smallbluething has been sending me progs in the post, but I can't afford that overseas shipping - and a sub is simply waaaaaay too expensive. I think I'm going to have to resort to clickwheel, which is a shame because I own a copy of every single prog and Meg and like to have the hardcopies to keep my collection complete...

Any info?

The Adventurer

Have you gone to your local shop and PREORDERED 2000 AD? Its really the only way to insure your shop gets it.

Also, it took a while, but I'm pretty sure the Prog is now weekly, for really reals this time. Prog 1764 is out this week (also Meg 319), I've have a good feeling we'll see 1765 next week.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 February, 2012, 06:54:38 PM
Have you gone to your local shop and PREORDERED 2000 AD? Its really the only way to insure your shop gets it.

Also, it took a while, but I'm pretty sure the Prog is now weekly, for really reals this time. Prog 1764 is out this week (also Meg 319), I've have a good feeling we'll see 1765 next week.

Really? The two shops I haunt never even offered to order it for me...

I must investigate further...

The Adventurer

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 February, 2012, 06:56:41 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 February, 2012, 06:54:38 PM

Really? The two shops I haunt never even offered to order it for me...

I must investigate further...
Yeah, every month local comic shops receive an order catalog from their Distributor (specifically, Diamond Distribution), which they order all their comics in-advance (usually 3 months). All 2000 AD progs, Judge Dredd Megazines, and Trade Collections are solicited every month in the back, under the 'Rebellion/2000 AD' heading.

Some shops vary in how they allow preordering (sometimes they let you just pick everything you want, trusting you to buy it when it comes. Some make you pay a % of the total order to insure you come back), but any shop that doesn't play ball with your is an idiot. There's never an excuse to lose a sale.

Also, its possible for shops to backorder books Diamond still has copies of in their warehouse. But where Progs and Megs are concerned... it can be dicey. Being overseas imports and all.

A new Catalog just came out last week, orders for February shipping in April. Which solicited 2000 AD 1773-1776, Judge Dredd Megazine 322, Kingdom Call of the Wild TP, and Slaine: Books of Invasions TP.

The Adventurer

Woops, I was looking at last month's catalog by accident. What's really solicited this month are; 2000 AD 1777-1780, Judge Dredd Megazine 323, Leviathan GN (S&S Ed.), and Mega-City Undercover 02 SC.