Main Menu

Favourite Art Droid - Tourney's Round 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 October, 2020, 10:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 November, 2020, 08:04:55 PM
I;m not convinced myself yet but how about Flint on... anything, INJ on Brink, Winslade on Lawless, Colin MacNeil on Dredd, D'Israeli on Stickleback, Simon Davis on Slaine...

Ok let's run with this. ( I started writing this before your next post, and I like a good discussion).

Flint on anything is amazing. But is he better than McMahon on Dredd or O'Neill on Nemesis? I'm not so sure.

Culbard on Brink is a match made in heaven. But is it better than Gibson on Robo-Hunter?

Winslade on Lawless is the best thing in the Meg in years. But it's not better than Bolland on Dredd.

MacNeil on Dredd isn't as good as MacNeil used to be on Dredd when he was painting it (e.g. Mechanismo, America or even the first couple of series of Insurrection.)

D'Israeli on Stickleback is certainly distinctive. But it's an acquired taste.

Simon Davis brought his own distinctive talent to Slaine. But it's not as good as Simon Davis on Sinister Dexter.

broodblik

Accordingly your comparisons I see it as follows, just my 2 cents:

Flint is awesome. McMahon on Dredd I never liked (Slaine yes). O'Neill was not bad but Talbot is better on Nemesis

Culbard for me is better on Brink than Gibson is on Robo-Hunter. The strip that was meant for Gibson was Halo Jones.

Winslade and Bolland in old western style gun-slinging, well it would be a draw.

I agree totally on MacNeil and D'Israeli

Simon Davis was awesome on Slaine much better than he was on Sin/Dex

Plus if you look art artist like Coleby and Weston they both grow into much better artists over the years. Their latest work is awesome.  When both of them started I found their art only average.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 November, 2020, 10:50:24 PM
MacNeil on Dredd isn't as good as MacNeil used to be on Dredd when he was painting it (e.g. Mechanismo, America or even the first couple of series of Insurrection.)
This bit I completely disagree with. MacNeil on Dredd now is the best he's ever been. His style has evolved wonderfully. Interestingly, I also regard Simon Davis's stint on Slaine as a bit of a career high - he's not always someone I've been that into, but Slaine was a good match for him.

However, of the other artists on Colin's original list, two are active turn-offs for me - no denying their talent and creativity, but if I see them on a strip, it's unlikely I'm going to get into it. There are a couple more contemporary 2000AD artists who have that effect on me - none of the 'classics' do.

Colin YNWA

This is why I think its interesting to put this to the test, though I accept the result might be clear. But Broodblik gives one answer but I'd dare to suggest another. I prefer the modern higher contrast MacNeil work, kit has so much confidence. I agree Culbard is better than Gibson on Brink and much as I prefer Sinister Dexter as a strip I think his work on Slaine was better.

I choose D'Israeli very deliberately as I prefer his work to someone like Massimo who I would also suggest is a bit of an acquired taste.Wnslade or Bolland and Flint and McMahon... I'd have to think about very carefully as I'm really not sure.

This is why its worth putting to the test.

broodblik

Massimo art is something of enigma to me in some cases it was wonderful and in other cases I could not get into it.

Art for me more than writing is much more a subjective topic. What other people see as great others will see as mediocre. This is why this is a much more exciting tourney. Even if you ask me tomorrow I will most certainly have a different opinion.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 02 November, 2020, 06:57:56 AM
Art for me more than writing is much more a subjective topic. What other people see as great others will see as mediocre. This is why this is a much more exciting tourney. Even if you ask me tomorrow I will most certainly have a different opinion.

Yeah there are certainly choices detailed below I just feel incapable of deciding definatively. So Flint or McMahon for example... chuff me I just can't get an answer I can settle on.