Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 1 - D’Israeli or John Higgins

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 November, 2020, 06:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Last of the week, let's all breathe over the weekend, cuddle up together and prepare for the hard decisions to come next week.

So let's end the week with a BANG shall we and two Droids who make a mockery of the Current tourney being about new Droids as we have two fantastic stalwarts of the Prog here. Matt D'Israeli Brooker was constructed by Tharg in 1999, at first as a colourist before ironically making his name as a Droid most famed for his black and white classics like Leviathan and Stickleback. But he has nothing John Higgins constructed in 1977 to do the cover for Prog 43 he is one of Tharg's longest serving Droids, probably the longest serving of the droids still active (there some confusion over at Barney as to when the McCarthy Droid came into service but I think he inked the cover of Prog 33?). So we'll need to get a silver watch if either of these are retired from this competition...

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

D'Israeli - more info

OR

John Higgins - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Monday 16th November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Greg M.

This will be interesting - the impression I get is that D'Israeli is beloved around here, but absolute Marmite in the wider fandom. And I'm afraid I'm not a fan of his unique flavour, so it's John Higgins, for Freaks, Revolution, the Platinum Horde, the Phantom, and, most of all, The Shooting Match.

broodblik

This is a close call for me I really like John Higgins but I will go for D'Israeli for his unique style and awesome coloring (either B/W or those psychedelic in your face rainbow colouring)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

rogue69

broodblik

This image by John Higgins certainly in my books one of the best opening pages ever the grace comics:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Magnetica

John Higgins all day long for me. From his amazing painted Dredds (with the flared helmet - which he never seen to get anywhere near the credit for that McCarthy did) to his different but still great current work over in the Meg.

One of the legends for me.

Oh and the Platinum Horde is by far my all time favourite future shock.

ming

D'Israeli, no question.  One of the brightest lights in Tharg's roster of talent for a loooong time and one of the artists I feel we're extremely fortunate to have retained and not lost to possibly greener pastures.  I can understand not everybody liking his style but everything he touches is magical for me; it's such a treat to witness his ever-changing style and his development of unique techniques.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 November, 2020, 06:51:16 AM
This will be interesting - the impression I get is that D'Israeli is beloved around here, but absolute Marmite in the wider fandom. And I'm afraid I'm not a fan of his unique flavour, so it's John Higgins, for Freaks, Revolution, the Platinum Horde, the Phantom, and, most of all, The Shooting Match.

Yeah that is my assessment too. I've seen D'Israeli come into flack on some groups - which baffles me - but then art and all that - but all the more so as here I've always got the impression he's much loved deservedly so. Folks will always have different views on different artists, but for that to be reflected so jarringly in different communities is interesting.

Tomwe

D'Israeli took the time to look at my portfolio circa 2000. His work is dope too, and (think Rob said on the Thrillcast) he created Sensitive Klegg.

AlexF

I was gonna say that D'Israeli clinches it with his crazed colour choices, but then I remembered that John Higgins practically invented the idea of filling comics pages with neon pinks and purples. Gosh this is hard.
It doesn't help that I can't imagine either artist working on the other's normal stories. The one place they overlap is, of course, Judge Dredd - and frankly D'Israeli's Dredd is my least fave of his efforts, while Higgins is one of the all-time greats.

On the other hand, it's D'Is who makes me care about Scarlet Traces and Stickleback, and I might not be interested otherwise.

On the off chance it'll make him draw more Helium more quikcly, I think I'm gonna bung my vote to D'Israeli.

credo

As someone else already said... Higgins for the Shooting Match. I read and reread every panel of that story so many times.

TordelBack

So many pivotal Dredd stories, plus the original run of Freaks, would be enough to put Higgins up there,  but for me no-one ever drew Mega-City 1 at the sweeping scale that he did, and even his technicolour Cursed Earth was genuinely beautiful. Seeing the opposite end of that vision in the realism of Dreadnoughts is a current treat.

But my heart belongs to D'Israeli, an artist for whom the word "unique" was created. There's nobody drawing for Tharg whose current work I love more.

Link Prime