Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Cam Kennedy or Ian Gibson

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 November, 2020, 06:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Ouch! Both of these stella Art Droids have such a distinct style they are instantly recognisable. Both of them have left an indelible mark on Dredd as well with a very distinctive take on the character and his world that remains within the template, but leaves an energy and grit of their own. Interestingly both have also taken absolute ownership of a series after taking over after only one episode drawn by someone else. Kennedy with VCs, Gibson with Robo-Hunter... I say interestingly, it is to me at least!

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Cam Kennedy - more info

Or

Ian Gibson - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Friday 20th November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

Cam Kennedy all the way. He is my favorite artist off all times.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Oh dear god. Choosing between Kennedy and Gibson?! I'll... get back to you.

Magnetica

Gibson for me. Not many droids own 2 series, but Gibson does with Robo-Hunter and Halo Jones. No one draws robots the way he does. In addition to that he had his own unique take on Dredd.

TordelBack

Gibson is a stunning artist, Halo Jones alone would be enough achievement for any one career,  never mind everything else he's done, but Cam Kennedy is in my Top Three GoaT. The tech designs, the reality of the environments, the sense of different weights for different objects, the deep character of the faces, the fact that his figures actually move on the page.  I think I'd like to own a page of his work more than any other artist (there are specific pages by other artists I covet more, but with Cam, any page would do).

Cam Kennedy for me, and probably for many rounds to come.

ming

What Tordelback said.

While I love Ian Gibson's work - Halo, obviously, but I'd also rate early Robo-Hunter up there with the best of anything - Cam is just such an astoundingly good artist he has my vote without hesitation.  An adaptable all-rounder with a perfect style for strips like VCs and Rogue Trooper, he shone particularly bright on Dredd and his characterisation of the Big Meg was always a joy to see.  On Dredd alone he gave us Sunday Night Fever, Midnight Surfer, The Magnificent Obsession, The Big Sleep (one of my two favourite Dredd stories, alongside Riders on the Storm), The Secret Diary of Adrian Cockroach, The Warlord, The Falucci Tape, Kenny Who?... All within the space of just over a year.

broodblik

Quote from: Greg M. on 17 November, 2020, 06:40:27 AM
Oh dear god. Choosing between Kennedy and Gibson?! I'll... get back to you.

Do not follow my lead just go with Tordel
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Ian Gibson, as it's difficult to imagine who else could have drawn Halo Jones. Also for Robo-Hunter and Dredd.

AlexF

Ian Gibson, an old favourite of mine, and still missed. Guess I prefer bounce to heft in my action comics.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 17 November, 2020, 09:11:49 AM
Guess I prefer bounce to heft in my action comics.

What a wonderful way to describe the difference between these two greats!

Greg M.

I'm going to go Ian Gibson. His high-points - Verdus, Return of the Taxidermist and Halo Jones - are just so inventive and beautifully-realised. Plus, as the Amazing Maze Dumoir demonstrates, no-one can draw women like Gibson. Kennedy is undoubtedly the more consistent artist though - it's blatantly obvious when Gibson's heart is not in it, as parts of Day of the Droids (and the dire Snozzbournes) attest.

Sean SD

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Ian.
He was definitive. No-one else should ever draw Halo Jones. No-one else should ever have drawn Sam Slade.