Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Anthony Williams or Alan Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 November, 2020, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Anthony Williams is another Art Droid who we've seen Tharg fine tune over the years. While his style has always been recognisable for me it reached a level of excellence with NuV.C.s and his run on Sinister Dexter that raised him up a level. Alan Davis on the other hand served Tharg on a number of classic strips before being pulled to the land of the free and the Trumped to work almost exclusively for the big two as he developed his craft further and further.

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Anthony Williams - more info

Or

Alan Davis - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Sunday 22nd  November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Magnetica

DR and Quinch and Harry 20 will do for me. So Alan Davis it is.

Greg M.

Alan Davis. Greater fame greeted him outside of 2000AD, but he certainly left his mark.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Bolt-01

AlexF

So harsh - Alan Davis burned briefly in 2000AD but oh SO brightly. Williams put in the years and yes, his VCs were a towering height artistically - but still not as impactful as those murderous weirdoes DR and Quinch.
Alan Davis takes it.

(probably doesn't help Mr Williams that he was tarred by the brush of Millar. For what it's worth, I retain a soft spot for Ace of Slades)

TordelBack

Much like Simon Coleby,  I never really liked Williams back in the early '90s, when Tharg seemed intent on having him draw only the most boring or irritating scripts that wandered by. Revisiting those years a while back I was forced to change my mind and accept that it was Ennis, Millar and McKenzie that I had a problem with: like Ron Smith of the same era, Williams never gave less than his best on the sub-par shite he was handed, and on the rare occasions when he had decent material to work with, he shone.

Of course it was his unmatched marathon on Sinister Dexter that really sold me on his strengths, strong expressive designs and crystal-clear storytelling, but I also enjoyed the VCs and his later Dredds. Be great to see him do something new for Tharg.

He's up against Davis here, whose 'Hyper-Historic Headbang' and DR & Quinch were already firm favourites before I ever set eyes on Harry 20. However, throw in a bat-mugger, and progwise that's basically your lot.

I'd be tempted to give the nod to Alan for Marlon's physical acting alone, but you know, in terms of his overall contribution as an artist, I think it has to Anthony Williams for me.

Link Prime

Tomwe

He drew the essential Captain Britain, Excalibur, continues to draw amazing Marvel work, so... wait, wait, this is about 2000AD! Alan was all but gone when I came on board, so for sheer output, plus the fact I was a big fan of his in the 90s I'm going for Anthony Williams.

credo

Alan Davis but I'm cheating a bit as that's mainly for Miracleman and Captain Britain.

ming

I'll have to go for Alan Davis as, despite a limited amount of Prog contributions, page-for-page and story-for-story he's got the edge.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!