Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Anthony Williams or Alan Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 November, 2020, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DrJomster

Yup, what most of them said. Alan Davis please! Although Anthony Williams is also a bit good.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JayzusB.Christ

I liked Anthony Williams in his colourful days - I must be the only person who enjoyed Kola Kommandos, and his art was the only good thing about that 90s version of Mean Arena.

But on the other hand there's a Marlon Brando alien being crushed by thousands of oranges, and an amoeba prostitute in fishnets.   Has to be Alan Davis.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

Andy B

Seems harsh when you look at their relative output for 2000ad, but let's face it, it's Alan Davis

Colin YNWA

Little doubt of the result here but there is still a chance to show both these fine, fine artists some love ahead of the deadline tomorrow morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Votes were pretty clear here and while there is an idea that Alan Davis did his best work outside 2000ad (one I would support) the result was apparent pretty early.

Alan Davis

is through to the next round.

Greg M.

What do we reckon is Davis's best work then? I think my vote's for Delano-era Captain Britain. Delano gives Davis more varied subject matter than Moore, plus Davis is clearly still finding his feet during the first half of Moore's CB run. Some of Davis's character work in CB is exemplary - one instance that sticks in mind is the look on Brian's face when Meggan transforms from ugly duckling to elemental goddess. We all know exactly what he's thinking... and it's nothing innocent.

Colin YNWA

Yeah he's also a more confident artist by that point as well. With the Moore stuff you can see him developing. That Cap B is certainly my favourite story he has worked on. I'd say his best work artistically came when he was doing Excalibur though. I love his work inked by Paul Neary or Mark Farmer.

Greg M.