Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 1 - Simon Fraser or John Burns

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 November, 2020, 06:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Never in all of these silly tourneys have I wanted to fiddle with a draw so much as when these two were paired together. I mean really - DAMN - this one breaks my old and bitter heart. Both these Droids have done so much for Tharg, but ultimately for many this one may come down to who is your favourite Nikolai Dante artist? All I ask selfishly  is pleasssseee don't make this one a tie so I have to make a call here...

Alas (and I mean REALLY alas)  we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Simon Fraser - more info

OR

John Burns - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Sunday 22nd November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Magnetica

Are you kidding? The Nikolai Dante derby?

Hmmm.

I'm am going for Simon Fraser.

Greg M.

Simon Fraser. No-one draws cityscapes and shocked facial expressions like he does.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Both bring their unique styles to Dante, and they're both so good on it that I can't decide based on that alone. So in excluding Dante from my determination, I'm going for John Burns, for his amazing work on everything else over the years.

Bolt-01

TordelBack

Think I've found one I can't vote in. There's no way to split these two: never mind how there are both inseparably integral to Dante,  for every 'Blood Cadets' there's a 'Scorpion Dance',for every Bendatti Vendetta a Family, for every The Order a Lilly McKenzie,  for every T an A.  For two such different artists, almost coming from different eras, it's amazing close their work is.

Persuade me with your thinkenings, oh partisans. I'll get back to you.

AlexF

What an impossible choice! It's not like I can even choose based on who has done more, or has worked on series I happen to like more.

John Burns brought a much-needed air of comics professionalism to the Prog at a time when Tharg was training up a whole raft of newcomers. And he still brings that professionalism today. It's notable that while he has always been 'painted comics' it has always been in his own style, no hint of copying any other notable painters...

But then Simon Fraser is that other kind of fresh air - an artist who always draws things his own way, picks his own angles to show the action, never mind how difficult or how weird it looks when you're seeing someone's nose or grimacing face from underneath. There are times - rare, mind you - where his work can look rushed or sloppy - but in the end that kind of adds to the feel of comics running through your brain at high speed.

Ah, who am I kidding - it's Simon Fraser all the way for me. He's just so dynamic!

Magnetica

I voted on the strength of Dante. For me Fraser defined the look and so shades it.

For some reason I had been under the impression that it was only Fraser and Burns that had drawn Dante, but a reread shows that is actually far from the case. But they are the two that made the most mark.

Outside of Dante, Burns has the more impressive body of work with Bendatti Vendetta and Judge Dredd in particular. I'm really not a fan of The Order but that is definitely not due to Burns' art work.

But for Dante I voted (up thread) for Fraser. Plus I met him at the 40th.

Link Prime

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 November, 2020, 09:21:10 AM
I voted on the strength of Dante. For me Fraser defines the look and so shades it.

On Dante alone, it's Fraser - all the way to the bitter end.

But for providing Squaxx with nearly 30 years of beautifully painted Thrills I have to give the nod to John Burns.
Been a fan since his skilled depiction of Wu Wang left quite an impression on this 13 year old.

sintec

Tomwe

I'm ignoring Dante and going with other contributions to the prog. And therefore, in my mind John Burns wins the day.

credo

John Burns does an excellent Dredd that I can immediately bring to mind, so that's my tie-breaker.

ming

A real toughie - probably the hardest choice yet for me.  I'll go with my gut instinct and give my vote to Simon Fraser (but if you ask me again in five minutes it'll go to John Burns and then ping-pong back and forth between the two until voting ends).