Main Menu

Class art better than Current art - it's official!!!!

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 June, 2021, 06:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well wow that was a lot closer than I thought it would be - a lot closer, literally coming down to the last vote. The literal very last vote, but just getting over the line

CLASSIC TEAM WIN THE ARTIST RYDER CUP
There's a lot to crunch and analysis so I'll be hoping to add to this thread over the next few days. For now though if you want to see just what a see saw journey we've had, just what a superb competition its been I've dropped a linkie to the spreadsheet I've used to track this...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITC5vG8lMz4OornHfXtPJcGy9P9YYNqLwT6wXxxVu7Q/edit?usp=drivesdk

Funt Solo

Ooh! Thanks for organizing this one, Colin. It's such an interesting thing to vote on - my love for the art that got me into the comic in the first place, and was read and re-read till the comics were literally falling apart in my hands, to such an extent that there's about a 400-prog span where I just know almost everything, is bound to win out purely on the basis of that early, deeply ingrained love.

Sometimes I look at a story from the 80s and realize that (given how the technology available has moved on, and new techniques been developed) it's not a matter of comparing like for like. I can't say that Insurrection is somehow less than The Apocalypse War - they're both great works of art, but for very different reasons.

Man, I love 2000 AD. Aren't we lucky to have been on such a crazy ride?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Enjoyed this thx again for organizing it Colin.

I still believe that the prog was quite fortunate over the years to feature literally the best artists on the planet. You can see how these artist left AD and made some tremendous contributions in the States.

Even the new cop of artists is now starting to show their worth.   
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Here's the thing. There were 4 artists scoring points for the current team who have been round long enough to be classed as classic artists, except they are still drawing for the Prog.

If they had been on the classic team, the classic team would have had a comfortable margin of victory (rather than a narrow one).

(And 3 or 4 others who lost there ties.)

AlexF

I mean, what else is there to say? This, x1,000.

DrJomster

It really captures it, doesn't it? How lucky we are indeed! :)

Great to see such a close result. For the current team to stand their own against the classics is awesome and well deserved. They're a talented bunch!

Thanks for running this!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

BPP

Here's an associated question. If rebellion put put a monthly with just the line art / inks (of artists working that way) in B&W would you buy it. I absolutely would. Holden, Flint, Foster - I'd rather see their art in B&W than just buy a compendium / collection of what I've already bought.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 18 June, 2021, 02:29:49 PM
Here's an associated question. If rebellion put put a monthly with just the line art / inks (of artists working that way) in B&W would you buy it. I absolutely would. Holden, Flint, Foster - I'd rather see their art in B&W than just buy a compendium / collection of what I've already bought.

Its interesting I'd defo like to see it and do love B&W lihne work, but thee day colour is so integrated I'd be intrigued to see how some of the art 'survived'. Most of it absolutely would be there will be bits - and you can see this when you look at some original art - where these days the actual line work is stripped down as some of the 'drawing' is done straight in colour.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 June, 2021, 06:57:36 AM

Yep 112% this. The fact that the art has been of such a high quality over so long is astonishing. Even when folks were dropping off the Prog in the 90s, or folks are reflecting on that low period very often the cry will be added - "The art was still fantastic'. I'd suggest the art has been of a level, in terms of consistancy over the 44+ years way above the writing.

I might have a mico-tourney - Art vs Writing!

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 June, 2021, 04:10:24 PM
I might have a mico-tourney - Art vs Writing!

Definitely no contest here - I've just been reading a bunch of old Progs and even as I slogged through terrible stuff like Silo, Swiftys Return, Moonrunners, 1990 Harlem Heroes and the like the art's been consistently top drawer.

All hail 2000ad! 
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dog Deever

Cheers Colin.

Will there be a letterers vs editors one?

Not sure about stripping art down to line art that was intended for colour, it's not really the same art art that was created to be B&W. But I love that there's still room in 2K/ The Meg for black & white.

B&W on bog paper with a slightly more substantial cover FTW!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

abelardsnazz

Thanks Colin for running this thing, what an awesome roster of talent that is. We've been absolutely spoilt for the last 44 years.

Dog Deever

This PROVES City of the Damned wins everything.
It's now beyond all doubt.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.