Main Menu

Prog 2191 - Let's Boogie!

Started by Leigh S, 18 July, 2020, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

If it was just the second appearance, that would be one thing, but with the Action Special, thats a third appearance this year.

judgeurko

Quote from: Leigh S on 23 July, 2020, 04:09:39 PM
If it was just the second appearance, that would be one thing, but with the Action Special, thats a third appearance this year.
Yep desperate stuff. & what is the point of Ichabod Azrael being in it? In fact all the supporting characters are pretty pointless. God this is dreadful, imagine what Wagner could have done with such an interesting premise.

Aaron A Aardvark

I can see similarities between The Out and Halo Jones but so far they're entirely superficial. The story of the ordinary traveller who sees extraordinary things. The main vibe I'm getting is of an instant classic.

I'm just not feeling it for End of Days. It's just a load of stuff happening and the cameo made me groan. Great image, though.

Caballistics 3.0 and Boogie different kinds of good without quite catching fire. The Order lost me years ago but it is pretty.

Max Headroom

I think some on the forum are being a little harsh on Dredd. Admittedly, it has not thus far been as epic as it could or should have been; but it is an interesting, enjoyable tale nonetheless.

TordelBack

Quote from: judgeurko on 23 July, 2020, 07:12:34 PMGod this is dreadful, imagine what Wagner could have done with such an interesting premise.

If history is any guide, he'd have been saddled with a different artist every week, rapidly got bored and wrapped it up with some kind of non-sequitor. Or maybe just pushed a bit too far and actually ended the world, without telling Tharg in advance. So on balance, I'm almost glad this one is in other hands!

I've had plenty of reservations about the story so far myself, but I find it hard to see this week's episode as anything but fun and exciting - and I think tying Pestilence to [spoiler]germ-capsule-swallowing Shako[/spoiler] is every bit as clever as pairing him with [spoiler]Gene[/spoiler] was (just a pity they happened in the same Summer!). I'm still well into the emaciated Dredd look - and what's he going to look like when he gets a dose of whatever [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] poops out?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judgeurko on 23 July, 2020, 07:12:34 PMimagine what Wagner could have done with such an interesting premise.

We don't need to imagine; he (and Alan Grant) did it 33 years ago.

judgeurko

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2020, 09:08:10 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 23 July, 2020, 07:12:34 PMGod this is dreadful, imagine what Wagner could have done with such an interesting premise.

If history is any guide, he'd have been saddled with a different artist every week, rapidly got bored and wrapped it up with some kind of non-sequitor. Or maybe just pushed a bit too far and actually ended the world, without telling Tharg in advance. So on balance, I'm almost glad this one is in other hands!

Did that happen with Necropolis? Did that happen with Origins? Did that happen with Day of Chaos?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 July, 2020, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 23 July, 2020, 07:12:34 PMimagine what Wagner could have done with such an interesting premise.

We don't need to imagine; he (and Alan Grant) did it 33 years ago.

I'd forgotten about that! So far, Dredd's world has two Satans and eight Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  Also, Pa, Junior and Link Angel are still wandering about somewhere.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: judgeurko on 23 July, 2020, 09:47:10 PM
Did that happen with Necropolis? Did that happen with Origins? Did that happen with Day of Chaos?

Did any of those have the premise 'Dredd goes on a quest to kill supernatural beings' that are destroying the world'. 'Cos this one does, and that's the setup you were speculating about Wagner writing.

Relax,  I'm not knocking Wagner, who could!, I'm just noting that this is the type of tale he has on occasion got bored of and knocked out a quick wrap-up for. In other words,  I don't see Wagner being particularly interested in doing much with this plot.

And the reference to going too far and ending the world was indeed about Day of Chaos.

judgeurko

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 July, 2020, 02:03:22 AM

Did any of those have the premise 'Dredd goes on a quest to kill supernatural beings' that are destroying the world'. 'Cos this one does, and that's the setup you were speculating about Wagner writing.

Relax,  I'm not knocking Wagner, who could!, I'm just noting that this is the type of tale he has on occasion got bored of and knocked out a quick wrap-up for. In other words,  I don't see Wagner being particularly interested in doing much with this plot.

And the reference to going too far and ending the world was indeed about Day of Chaos.
Yes, but I am looking to Wagner's mega epics in general & plotting. He is a better writer now than he was then with those epics that this awful one is referencing. Maybe that's the problem for me, things like The Cursed Earth & The Judge Child Quest are fun in a nostalgic way but I prefer a bit more depth to my stories now. I just don't care about anything that is happening in End of Days because it feels like there are no real consequences, 2 dimensional bland characters & now an old character being dragged up...again. I wonder if this has been rushed out due to current circumstances?

JayzusB.Christ

Did any of those have the premise 'Dredd goes on a quest to kill supernatural beings' that are destroying the world'.

;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 July, 2020, 09:10:01 AM

Did any of those have the premise 'Dredd goes on a quest to kill supernatural beings' that are destroying the world'.

;)

TordelBack

Well APART from Necropolis...    :-[

I was thinking that the Big Nec was about Dredd returning home, and the end of a much longer story about doubt and compromise,  rather than him off questing after magic baddies, but it's a (tough but) fair cop!

JayzusB.Christ

I'm letting you off with a caution this time, citizen. If it happens again, you'll do time.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 23 July, 2020, 10:28:35 AMI had supposed her payments were ceasing because (life on) Earth had been destroyed somehow [spoiler]but now they're resumed that theory doesn't seem to hold water[/spoiler].
As a freelancer, currently battling with several companies in trying to get paid, it really doesn't take the destruction of the planet to not get what you're owed, sadly.

As for all the Dredd gripes, I'm not feeling that. The story does make the error of providing a supporting cast of newbs that get killed off one by one, when big characters have metre-thick plot armour. But otherwise it's just 'Dredd as Hollywood movie', which Wagner's also done plenty of during his time. Not every Dredd should be slow-burn epic, deep detective movie, or whatever.

The one thing I do wonder, though, is at what point the city will effectively cease to function in any meaningful manner. I mean, Day of Chaos (still wrongly, in my opinion) wiped out the vast majority of the citizens. Since then, we've had yet more millions die, and this latest epic is killing off yet more people. MC1 citizens must breed like rabbits during the tiny periods of peace to keep the numbers up.