Main Menu

What to read after 9 years away?

Started by briantm, 23 September, 2019, 12:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantm

I fell away from reading the prog around 2010. Kept buying weekly until I realised I had a two year backlog!

Last Dredd storyline I can definitely remember is Tour of Duty, but I think I read a bit further than that.

I'd like to start reading the prog weekly again, but would like to catch up on some of the stuff I missed in between.

Will the Day of Chaos, Trifecta and Dark Justice collections catch me up with the majority of important events?

Are there any other Dredd stories that you would recommend I'd track down either for continuity or just for being great stories? (Trades ideally or digital back issues maybe, depending on how much that would cost).

Also, what are some of the popular new non-dredd series that I've missed out on? Any in that period that are screaming to be collected but only available in back issues?

Thank you!

IndigoPrime

Outside of Dredd: Brink is a must; Ichabod Azrael; Brass Sun; Jaegir; Absalom; Fall of Deadworld. Also: the second half of Shakara; everything you've not read of Kingdom.

briantm

Thanks very much for your reply!

Enjoyed what I read of Kingdom very much. I definitely read some of Ichabod and loved it. I am excited to check out Absalom. Looks great.

I'll have to check out all the new stuff from Rennie, Edginton, Spurrier, Ewing, Williams and Abbnett, or as much as I can. (Damn, that's probably a lot in 9 years!)

Any new writers or artists that have been break out stars since I've been away?

broodblik

Well for starters all the progs are available in digital format since 2003. So you can over time do a catch-up.

The following Dredd stroies are important to read as well:
- The Small House prog 2100 - 2109 (available as a collection https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB669)
- Machine Law prog 2115 - 2122 (coming out in a collection only next year)
- Harvey prog 2024 - 2029 (will be collected with Machine Law)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

TordelBack

While not entirely my thing, many folk rate the Rob Williams Dredd stories Titan, Enceladus and various epilogues very highly. I certainly agree that they are very pretty. You'll have missed some of the best of Williams & D'Israeli's Low Life too, which is much more to my taste.

Also good in Dredd is Carroll's Every Empire Falls , a sort of extended epilogue to Day of Chaos that explores MC-1's declining power.

Outside of Dredd, I echo all the recommendations above, but would add Survival Geeks, Jaegir (Nort version of Rogue Trooper), Scarlet Traces, Kingmaker and very silly Zaucer of Zilk.

Funt Solo

What a coincidence - I stopped reading around 2010 as well and am currently doing a catch-up and reviewing it as I go. I'm up to the first quarter of 2015 (just finished reading prog 1924). I recommend buying up the back progs and having a read: there's been some hit and miss, as always, but it's the galaxy's greatest comic. Even the misses are very well produced.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

briantm

Thanks all for your replies.

Quote from: Richard on 23 September, 2019, 04:36:03 PM
Just read all of it.

This may be the way forward  :D

I think I'll reread Origins and see how I go from there.

Still wondering peoples opinions on this question:
Quote from: briantm on 23 September, 2019, 12:18:31 PM

I wonder if tooth has space to foster very much new talent, even in a decade, as they have so many highly talented regular writers and artists. Still, surely there have been a few popular breakout stars?

Funt Solo

Quote from: briantm on 23 September, 2019, 04:56:48 PM
I wonder if tooth has space to foster very much new talent, even in a decade, as they have so many highly talented regular writers and artists. Still, surely there have been a few popular breakout stars?

You are Ian Culbard's mum and I claim my £5!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

briantm

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 September, 2019, 05:45:28 PM
You are Ian Culbard's mum and I claim my £5!
I guess if I hadn't stopped reading 2000ad for 9 years I might understand this...  :-\

Funt Solo

Sorry: obscure humor attempt on my part. Reverting to simple informational dissemination...

You asked about new creators since 2010: Ian Culbard is one.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

briantm

:D
Yeah, I've seen some of Ian Culbard's other work. Great stuff. Looking forward to Brass Sun!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'd just read the last 9 years. Seriously. Why not?

Lock up your spoons!

Tomwe

After a quick check on dates and I'll vote for Tiernan Trevellian as new and awesome. Especially Absalom and his recent run on Fiends Of The Eastern Front.

Link Prime

New Art Droids that turned my head; Jimmy Broxton, Dave Kendall and INJ Culbard.
Very talented and completely unique.

A lot of good new writers on Dredd - Rob Williams, Rory McConville and the mysterious Kenneth Niemand come to mind.
Mike Carroll would be the personal favorite non-Wagner Dredd Script Droid.