Main Menu

Prog 2200 - Beyond The Frontiers Of Future Fiction!

Started by Goosegash, 19 September, 2020, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

I was planning on being productive this morning, then I heard the letterbox go...

Delightfully fucked-up cover by Tim Napper, if this was related to an actual strip it would be even better.

Your Thrill Of The Future this week is Volume 2 of Hershey, can't wait.

Dredd: New story by Rob Williams and Boo Cook dealing with the aftermath of the latest apocalypse.  Dredd is back on the streets but isn't the man he was, and Maitland may've found out where the judge system's been going wrong all these years. This definitely feels refreshingly low key after the excesses of the past few months.

Future Shock: Omnidetectorists by Rory McConville and Joel Carpenter. A fun nod to a certain TV show (the clue's in the title)

Hookjaw by Alec Worley and Leigh Gallagher. He's back, and apparently [spoiler]he's grown legs??[/spoiler] I guess this is a reboot rather than a continuation, as the Action Hookjaw is re-contextualised as a retelling of the actual events.

Sinister Dexter: "Fuck me!" is all I can I say after that. I won't say more but by gob has rarely been more smacked than when I read the caption on the final page.

Skip Tracer: So this is back yet again, I guess. It's never risen above being a very average strip for me, and Tharg's choice to have it in regular rotation is somewhat hard to fathom. But I've always liked Paul Marshall's art so I guess I'll stick with it. This one starts in media res with Nolan on the run, maybe it'll go somewhere interesting this time?

Stickleback: Crikey, how long has it been? (Six years according to Barney). This is very much a recap episode following the revelation of Stickleback's true identity, which was certainly necessary after all this time. Great to see this back.

No letters, but the back page is trailing Constanta by Edginton & Trevallion.

Leigh S

I approve of more writing partnerships! It's the classic way... It's an interesting set up for Dredd, which could make the End of days purposeful, if only by getting us back tot he kind of stories we could ahve been exploring post Day of Chaos.  The computer programme of MC1s basic budgeting error was a bit laughable, but the principle is an interesting one to see explored in Dredd, just hope with a bit more nuance than the cliff hanger.... "I found a revolutionarly secret economic principle to fix everything by sliding some figures about"!  I mean, I get the idea, but Maitland might have been better to have not been shocked as to be... I dunno, but something less comical/comic bookish? 

That return from the past elsewhere in the prog was a well kept surprise, though I wonder if it was a hastily rewritten Shako script after they realised they had already gone too far!

Goosegash

Gah, I didn't even pick up that the Dredd story was a co-write with Williams & Wyatt. Yes, more collaboration between Dredd writers should be encouraged I think, especially if it leads to a more unified world rather than lots of separate mini-Dredd universes, which is how it feels sometimes.

Goosegash

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Only read Sin/Dex so far, after a couple of comments I'd seen. And, well. [spoiler]Brave move, if it's not rolled back. But DA's been doing a lot of alt-universe stuff for years now, and so there's every chance of a reset switch at some point. That said, perhaps DA's had enough and feels a need to end this now. Fair enough, if so.[/spoiler]

The Monarch

its nice to get a genuine shock from a story in 2000ad it has been a while but oh man [spoiler]sinister.dexter.....oh man[/spoiler]

oh hey hookjaw we need more updates of older stuff

Goosegash

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2020, 03:03:06 PM
Only read Sin/Dex so far, after a couple of comments I'd seen. And, well. [spoiler]Brave move, if it's not rolled back. But DA's been doing a lot of alt-universe stuff for years now, and so there's every chance of a reset switch at some point. That said, perhaps DA's had enough and feels a need to end this now. Fair enough, if so.[/spoiler]

Brilliantly timed for the 25th anniversary of the strip as well, [spoiler]just to have it end out of the blue.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The "To Be Continued..." at least does imply the story will carry on in some form with just Dexter as the lead, so Abnett's not completely done with it yet.[/spoiler]

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Professor Bear

Happy as I am to see [spoiler]HOOKJAW[/spoiler] return, I'm not sure if I want 2000ad to start rehashing past glories instead of making new classics like Skip Tracer.  It seems like a bad precedent.

IndigoPrime

One of the Facebook groups that often has people complaining that 2000 AD isn't as good as it was in the old days and that all new series suck now has people busy complaining about 2000 AD "rehashing" old ideas, even though after one episode we have literally no idea how the new Hookjaw is going to play out.

You can't please some people.

The Monarch

and thats why i avoid those fb groups like the plague.

Richard

Hook-jaw looks [spoiler]humanoid to me. His shadow looks like a head and shoulders, and he seems to have a human nose.[/spoiler] So it may be a very different story to what went before.

dweezil2

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 September, 2020, 05:06:40 PM
One of the Facebook groups that often has people complaining that 2000 AD isn't as good as it was in the old days and that all new series suck now has people busy complaining about 2000 AD "rehashing" old ideas, even though after one episode we have literally no idea how the new Hookjaw is going to play out.

You can't please some people.

"2000AD today is just woke, with a SJW biased agenda and I haven't read it since 1989" are the most constructive and loyal of readers.  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo