Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: rogue69 on 06 February, 2024, 10:59:06 AM...to save money decide to eat the monster they kill

Did this in my latest Runequest game.  Scorpion-person jerky is apparently the most delicious thing ever.

karlos

The Musketeers (BBC) - it's on iPlayer and is still massively enjoyable.

Faithful to the books, yet not at times, this was unfairly ignored, I always thought.

A recent Xmas binge of the whole lot (3 series, 30 episodes in total) flew by.  Huge fun.

Barrington Boots

I thought that series would have been improved hugely by the cast employing 'Allo 'Allo style French accents throughout.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

karlos

I loved the fact the show was absolutely rammed with Northern actors and their accents.

For King and country, cock!

The Legendary Shark

The new True Detective continues to enthral. The acidic chemistry between the two leads is delicious, and Kali Reis is more than a match for Jodie Foster in full-on hard-ass mode. Chuck in the supernatural overtones and this show is pushing all the best buttons for me.

I've also just discovered Hightown, which is a classy and dense crime thriller thing with some engaging characters. Just about to start in on S01E05 but so far it's fairly compelling.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I gave up on the X-Files.
The programme has problems, for sure.  It's also pretty dated.  The conspiracy stuff hits different today than it did in the 90's and not for the better.  It's conceits can be incredibly contrived.  Nevertheless I persevered.  Then I realised I was persevering rather than looking forward to watching the next episode, so I started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine again and I've been having a more enjoyable.

lordmockingbird

I know what you mean. Went through that recently. We tried to start a few seasons in. But all the mystic indian dream sequences were not a welcome start.

I'd like to try more but there always seems to be something else to watch

Funt Solo

I can't remember when I gave up on (Colonel Kovert's) The X-Files - but at some point I realized that they weren't going to have a serious arc. I think I got out of Lost even earlier, for the same reasons. I don't like the US television format of "just keep drip-feeding the audience until the audience realize they're being duped and the ratings drop".

That's why The Wire was so special.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Doomlord66

Anyone else watched From yet? Some weird goings on there but interesting premis.

edgeworthy

Been watching Rome .... "THIRTEEN!!!"

Funt Solo

Quote from: edgeworthy on 23 February, 2024, 02:38:43 AMBeen watching Rome .... "THIRTEEN!!!"

Top holovid, that. Brutal and compelling.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Love that show. Pullo, as played by the late, great Ray Stevenson, is one of the great telly characters.

Hawkmumbler

TRUE DETECTIVES

Found the season 1 bluray going for crazy cheap in Fopp so decided to finally see what all the hubbub is about. You would have thought the promise of a southern gothic neo-noir engorged in the philosophical pessimism of one Thomas Ligotti (among our greatest living writers) would have placed this higher on my priority/urgency list, but I'm weary of prestige dramas offering much and delivering little. It has been known to happen, after all.

Suffice to say my concerns where not only dispelled, but ejected with prejudice onto the tarmac and promptly pulverised.
The show is, not to put too fine a point on it, I bit fuckin' good 'innit?

Doomlord66

Anyone else watching Constellation on apple? Its a bit of a mindf##k

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 13 March, 2024, 08:06:18 PMAnyone else watching Constellation on apple? Its a bit of a mindf##k

You want a mindfuck? Try regarding Nebulae on a Kumquat!
You may quote me on that.