Main Menu

BBC Series on the History of British comics

Started by Manfromthebbc, 13 September, 2006, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Oh, never cross the geeks.  Their revenge is terrible to behold.*

Anyway, just wanted to make sure that whoever else is included, you interview Pat Mills and Alan Grant.  Pat's pretty much essential, and Alan is essential and amazingly helpful.

* Revenge largely consists of posting angry messages on the internet.  Probably not as scary as the Christians.

Manfromthebbc

Trying to reply to as many people as poss- let me know if they havent got through

Andy

Manfromthebbc

A challenge then: If you were limited to say....12 choices- What are the best British comics since 1937 and why

Andy

Dan Kelly

Best or Most Influential?

For starters...

2000ad, The Eagle (Original), Deadline, Action?, Dandy/Beano

longmanshort

In no particular order, you could try a good mix approach of:
Battle
2000AD
The Eagle (original version)
Dandy/Beano
TV century 21
Valiant
Oz
Warrior
Commando
Jackie and Mandy
Roy of the Rovers
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Bolt-01

Warrior- Gave Alan Moore the long leash he wanted to make the story he wanted happen. The Marvel/Miracleman story could be used to bridge the 50's and the 80's.

Also the original home of V for vendettaamong others.

Dez Skinn would be an interesting interview- just don't mention the megazine...

Bolt-01

Floyd-the-k

Not being a pom, I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answwer this but here goes:

1. Dan Dare - Why? Beautiful art, powerful and moving stories, very in tune with its readers

2. 2000 AD - Why? ummm, it's really good, it has produced a lot of new talent who have gone on to be successful in the US (is that a good reason?), the anthology format and use of once-off stories means it avoids getting bogged down in continiuty problems or indeed in any other sort of rut

3. Viz - because it was absolutely bloody hilarious and had a great way with language

4. There must be more, but I can't think of them right now

yours antipodeanly,

Floyd

Wils

Probably not as scary as the Christians.

AIEEE!

http://www.roselaneliverpool.com/christians/gal/ft2.jpg">

What are the best British comics since 1937 and why

A fantastic question and, to be honest, a great place to ask. You'll get some cracking answers from the people here that certainly won't pander to just what's 'in' at the moment [cough]Top 100 *anything* on Ch 4[/cough].

In the mean time, I'll start having a think of my 12. :)

DavidXBrunt

For a concise, detailed, readable history of British comics you could do worse than check out the introduction to True Brit, an interview collection published by TwoMorrow publishing. Available in Forbidden Planets and over the net.

It's far more than a standerd intrr, more a first quality dissertation on the history of British comics. Essential, I'd say.

Wake

I think Alan Grant makes a great speaker. He could have been Billy Connolly in another life.

Cheers,

Wake

LARF

1. 2000AD
2. Megazine
3. Deadline
4. Crisis
5. Battle
6. Action
7. Viz
8. Beano
9. Whizzer and Chips
10. Warrior

M.I.K.

You might want to include something about the morally suspect "heroes" of the 1980s, such as Doomlord or Max the computer from "The Thirteenth Floor".

1 : 2000ad (obviously)

2 : Judge Dredd Megazine

3 : Scream! (1980s horror comic)

4 : Eagle (original version)

5 : Eagle (1980s version)

6 : Oink! (usually referred to as a Viz for kids)

7 : Misty (1970s girls horror comic, slightly weird idea, but worked. I've got an annual that shows you how to make a fake shrunken head!)

8 : Oor Wullie/The Broons (two Scottish comic strips that have appeared every week in "The Sunday Post" newspaper since the 1930s and are collected bi-annually in books. Originally drawn by Dudley Watkins who also drew Desperate Dan, Lord Snooty, Mickey The Monkey, etc;)

9 : Dandy / Beano

10 : Whizzer and Chips

11 : Action

12 : Buster (the title character was originally supposed to be the "Son of Andy Capp")

I think Albion by Alan Moore, Leah Moore and John Reppion should definitely get a mention for ressurrecting a number of British characters from the past.

johnone

Andy

May I make a suggestion,perhaps you should cover the influence of individual strips as well , one of the finest stories ever about war and the first world war in particular was Charleys War   printed in the pages of Battle and gave out information and facts rarely covered in the History books. For Example nearly Twenty years ago the BBC made the Monocled Mutineer ,a story of the little known British Army Mutiny of 1917, as a result questions were raised in parliment and the series has never been repeated, however I knew about the Mutiny because the entire story had been told in Charleys war five years earlier but because it was aimed at young boys and printed in a "Comic" no one noticed and the story was allowed uncensored.

Byron Virgo

2000AD (IPC/Fleetway/Rebellion)
Action (IPC)
Dandy (DC Thompson)
Comic Cuts (AP Harmsworth - the original comic book in 1890, following on from proto-versions like Ally Sloper's Half Holiday and Funny Folks)
Rupert the Bear (Daily Express)
Warrior (Quality Communications)
Eagle (Hulton Press/Odhams)
Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly/Magazine (Marvel UK/Panini)
Escape Magazine (Paul Gravett & Peter Stanbury/Titan Books)
The Daredevils (Marvel UK)
TV Century 21 (Century 21 Productions)
Battle (IPC)

It'd definitely be worth checking out knowledgable sources about British comics history like Lew Stringer and David Roach, as well as enteratining speakers like Alan Grant and Paul Gravett (whose book on British comics is due out soon).

Grant Goggans

In no order, 2000 AD, Battle Picture Weekly, Viz, Deadline, Warrior, Action, Eagle, Valiant, Doctor Who, TV 21, Beano & Dandy.

And if you're looking for the odd angle of an American collector of British comics, come to Atlanta and interview me!  =D