Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Davek on 30 August, 2012, 09:44:19 PM
Read LOEG Black Dossier, 1910 and 1969. Actually I didn't finish 1969 as I was massively disappointed and they were almost unreadably bad IMO. The only bit I actually enjoyed was the Jeeves and Wooster Cthulu story from the Black Dossier.

1969 is the low, 2009 is a great improvement IMO.

I've just read "Sweet Tooth in captivity" by Jeff Lemire - a fascinatingly grim graphic novel (vol 2 apparently) - think Bambi mixed with The Walking Dead.

Professor Bear

Quote from: HdE on 28 August, 2012, 08:08:19 AMI ALSO have one of the companion volumes, which contains reprinted UK-originated material that was commissioned to fill out the publishing schedule over here. I dipped into that and read the story 'Man Of Iron', which Transformers fans have told me for ages is a supposedly incredible piece of era-defining fiction. It's not. Although, it is indeed very, VERY good.

Even as a nipper, I viewed the UK and US material as different continuities for some reason printed in the same book.  I'm not sure what I thought were their reasons for doing this, or how or why I came to this conclusion in the first place, but there was a big enough disparity between the Budiansky and Furman stuff that it seemed to make sense.
Incidentally, Furman reunited with Andy Wildman at IDW to continue directly from the last issue of the Marvel series with Transformers #81.  It's pretty decent old-school sci-fi stuff so far, though a bit decompressed compared to the original UK strips and rather sloppily assumes you've tracked down some mini/giveaway issue 80.5 that it refers to in what's supposed to be the first part of a story - might be one to trade-wait upon, I think.

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Aonghus

Quote from: Mikey on 31 August, 2012, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 27 August, 2012, 09:33:50 PM
Reading Nemesis for the first time!

Lucky swine.

M.

That good, is it? It's on my to-read list, along with Shakara and Judge Dredd Case Files 2.

Just finished Snuff by Terry Pratchett this morning- Feels less Discworldy than some of his books, and I feel that's been a trend in his last few, but was still an excellent bit of Sam Vimes-ing.

I'm also ploughing my way through An tOileánach by Tomás Ó Criomhthainn, which is like if Peig was written by someone who actually knew what a smile was. Fun times!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I must say, I really enjoyed Snuff. I remember hearing there was an Ankh-Morpork City Watch Police Procedural show in the pipeline. I don't suppose anyone knows anything about that?
You may quote me on that.

Mikey

I'd say so Aonghus,yeah-some of the finest art ever to grace the prog appeared in Nemesis (O'Neill and Hicklenton for me) and it's properly Mills bonkers in the nut fun too.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Aonghus

Quote from: Mikey on 01 September, 2012, 08:54:18 AM
I'd say so Aonghus,yeah-some of the finest art ever to grace the prog appeared in Nemesis (O'Neill and Hicklenton for me) and it's properly Mills bonkers in the nut fun too.

M

Excellent! Just did a quick search, Vol. 1 is in my local library, so I'll be running down to get that in a few days ^_^

Pops: :O I never heard aboutthat! To Google!

NapalmKev

Recently finished Strontium Dogs complete files 1. Thought it was pretty good on the whole except for the early annual stories that were right at the back. The Hitler story was my personal favorite.
Going to try Dredd complete vol 1 again. I started reading it awhile back but found the earliest stories a bit
dull.
:)

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

radiator

I don't care much for case files 01, the return of rico aside.

The Bissler

I'd agree that Case Files 1 aren't particularly great - indeed a lot of it feels a bit daft and aimed at a younger audience - but I did enjoy them from the point of view of seeing how it all began and learning how Dredd evolved.  But once you get past this book there is so much to enjoy; Case Files 2 is great with the back to back epics "The Cursed Earth" and "The Day the Law Died", CF3 introduces Judge Death, and then from CF4 onwards you are into what I consider to be absolutely classic Dredd!

Greg M.

For me, the big highlight of Case Files 01 is 'The First Luna Olympics' / 'Luna 1 War' - aside from being gorgeous to look at, both seem to encapsulate all that the series would become: blackly comic, satirical, clever and violent.

SmallBlueThing

I must protest, a bit. Case files volume one is great. Elvis! The moon! Call Me Kenneth! Rico! Krong! Mutie The Pig! Yes, it may be very different to modern Dredd, but in many ways i much prefer it. It's the only time the strip shows its british comics heritage to the extent of not appearing like anything that could possibly have come from across the pond, as the series does from cf2 onwards. Cf1 could almost be reprints from 'lion' or somesuch- and i love all that.

SBT

The Bissler

It isn't my cup of tea, but each to their own SBT!  I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did.
Totally agree with Greg M. that the Lunar Olympics / Luna 1 War was one of the better stories (apart from the fact that I absolutely love anything drawn by Mr Bolland) and that it does hint towards the more satirical tales to come.  More importantly for me though is that this story is the first to set up the tensions that exist between MC1 and East Meg 1, tensions that will prove to be so important a few books later... 

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Aonghus on 01 September, 2012, 03:34:19 PM
Quote from: Mikey on 01 September, 2012, 08:54:18 AM

M

Excellent! Just did a quick search, Vol. 1 is in my local library, so I'll be running down to get that in a few days ^_^

It really is great! Just finished Book III and it's such a nicely realized world, full of the kind of bizarre invention that no-one really does like 2000AD. The appearance of [spoiler]Mek-Quake had me particularly excited and got me in the mood to pick up some ABC Warriors collections (my reading of that has been pretty scattershot in the past).[/spoiler]

Read Matt Smith's 'Judge Dredd Year One: City Fathers' e-book and really enjoyed it. It's pretty short and sweet and pacey so pretty quick to rattle through. It's also only £2.99 so I'd recommend it to any kindle-friendly boarders.

HdE

Quote from: Professah Byah on 30 August, 2012, 10:36:44 PM
Incidentally, Furman reunited with Andy Wildman at IDW to continue directly from the last issue of the Marvel series with Transformers #81.  It's pretty decent old-school sci-fi stuff so far, though a bit decompressed compared to the original UK strips and rather sloppily assumes you've tracked down some mini/giveaway issue 80.5 that it refers to in what's supposed to be the first part of a story - might be one to trade-wait upon, I think.

Ah yeah! Glad somebody mentioned this!

That is indeed ongoing as we speak. I'm really quite excited about it - more than I thought I would be. Of course, I'm happy to support it, even if only to show my support for Simon and Andy, who are two genuinely lovely guys. Likewise the book's colourist, John-Paul Bove, who, I hear, will be splattering some lovely colours on Judge Dredd soon...

But, yeah - enough shameless name dropping! Regeneration One (for that is the book's title) is worth checking out - it's quite unique among today's crop of comics by a long way. I was surprised hwo much fun I had with what little of it I've read so far!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/