Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 September, 2012, 02:51:47 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 18 September, 2012, 02:38:38 PM
Doomsday, the 2008 film by Neil Marshall of Dog Soldiers/The Descent fame.
review

Thanks mate, you just saved me a DVD rental!

Everything Lee says is correct, but I still kind like it. He didn't mention that the bad guy's girlfriend is bloody gorgeous.

JamesC

Doomsday is great fun and very silly - and there's nothing wrong with that!
I think the closest thing to it is Escape From LA.

Spaceghost

I suppose that while the overwhelming feeling for me and the missus was "What the hell is this rubbish?", it did entertain us in some way because we couldn't stop laughing at the silly bollocksness of it all.

The ending really did us in. During the battle with the scream-punks in their punk-buses and punk-cars, when vehicles start exploding FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER and the cliched punk leader, clinging to the roof of badass lady's car, is beheaded whilst crashing through a flaming bus.

His head flies directly into the camera AND HE'S STILL GOING 'RAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!'. My wife was fucking helpless with laughter.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Spikes

My mate lent me a ton of his dvd's (he's an addict) that ive not even looked at, since he brought them round a good month ago, but this film has intriqued me, and lo and behold, its amongst the pile. So its now dug out for a spin.

Tiplodocus

THE GENERAL

The brilliantly expressive Buster Keaton, a stolen train and a pretty girl. Genius stuff. Tiny Tips loved it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Four Rooms

Tim Roth plays a bellhop in once grand hotel, and over the course of one New Year's Eve, he has some very strange encounters with the guests of FOUR of the ROOMS. ::)

Each of the encounters is written by a different writer, among which are Tatantino and Robert Rodiriguez, who provide the final installments. The first two are dire, I can't remember the names of the writers and couldn't be arsed looking them up, but, Tarantino and Rodriguezs' efforts are pretty good. The main problem is consistency. Tim Roth is the only constant, but because his character is written by four different people, he comes across completely schizoid. He just doesn't manage to carry it.

The biggest sin in all the inconsistency is that the whole thing fails to gel together. Each of the FOUR different ROOMS presents us with a mini-farce, and I was expecting all the farces to compound together to produce one massive convoluted shit-storm. Not so. It's just four unrelated vignettes.

But the biggest sin this movie commits overall, is in the Tarantino section. Tarantino stars in it. This section is called 'THE MAN FROM HOLLYWOOD' (there's a wee title screen for each room).

DID YOU KNOW THAT TARANTINO KNOWS A LOT OF HOLLYWOOD/AMERICANA/POP CULTURE TRIVIA? Bruce Willis redeems the whole scene though.
You may quote me on that.

JamesC

Killing Them Softly

Boring them Stupid more like.
Really frustratingly boring and talky. The first few scenes are pretty good but after that it feels like one of those mid-nineties crime films that were trying to rip-off Quentin Tarantino.
Most of the scenes just go on soooo long. Some directors, like Tarantino or Leone can hold my attention over a long scene with entertaining dialogue or just pure tension. This just had me checking my watch.
James Gandolfini's character is fucking pointless - I'm sure it's acted well, but fuck me, life's too short.

Spikes

Quote from: Lee Bates on 18 September, 2012, 02:38:38 PM
Doomsday, the 2008 film by Neil Marshall of Dog Soldiers/The Descent fame.
So, after the cliched tacky punks have held a sort of 'Britain's Got Cannibalism' song and dance routine making use of ropey music by Adam and the Ants and Fine Young Cannibals

Oh Lordy. Well, its certainly a film, or several films, isnt it.
I think i did more eye rolling than the main female lead did, watching this.
And those fat kilted men dancing along to Bad Manners' can can - the very definition of WTF.
Complete and utter bollocks from start to finish.

Professor Bear

Piranha 3DD made a misogynist out of me, because I was going "just hurry up and die you stupid big-titted cow" at the screen so many times - though to be fair, it is really lazy how the 3D jump-out-at-screen bits are set up and the cast-in-danger sequences just drag on for far too long, not being exciting, well filmed or edited.  The Hoff gets the best lines ("once these idiots get out of the water it's not like the fish are gonna follow them home"/"you little ginger moron") and the best bits were in the extras: "You wanna see how David Hasselhoff picks a script? (flipping through pages) Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit (stabs finger into manuscript) ME, (flips) bullshit, bullshit, (stabs) ME - and do I get to sing on the end credits?  YES.  I'll do it." and Gary Busey's good-natured rambling is always fun ("I hope you understand me, because I do not").
It's just a shame none of the backstage good humor and self-awareness extended into the film proper beyond that the 3D is so glaringly shoehorned in and signposted that it's practically a joke in itself that outstays its welcome.  P3DD is in practice so dreadful, SBT will probably give it a good review just to annoy people, though I suspect with the 3D gimmick and the thankfully short running time I might have been one pair of glasses and three beers short of being the ideal viewer for it.

Judge Delboy

The french movie Untouchable. A tad sentimental maybe but a lovely feel good movie.

von Boom

Cursed Earth Dweller

I watched Raw Deal with a friend yesterday.

Fun action flick if not a bit soapy but the whole cast is still better then Arnold.

Hoagy

CABIN IN THE WOODS. Mental. Just mental. Brilliant film.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

von Boom

The Ramen Girl (2008). Brittany Murphy plays a girl stranded in Tokyo by her boyfriend and finds solace in learning how to cook ramen. This is a really enjoyable film and I was quite surprised by this find. Toshiyuki Nishida is the Ramen cook that takes Murphy on and is hillarious. It's kind of Karate Kid but with ramen, but it's still a good film.

Be sure to have some noodles handy because you'll want them after seeing this film.

Richmond Clements

Lawless. Pretty good. Not as good as The Proposition, but some superb performances and set pieces. Tom Hardy is incredible.

The Sound of my Voice. Very good indeed. A wee bit flabby around the middle (but aren't we all?) with a few scenes that need trimmed, but the final act more than makes up for it.