Main Menu

Prog 1798: Mecha Death!

Started by vzzbux, 25 August, 2012, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Another stunning cover from JDH.

Only read Dredd for now. A full on post DoC stroy arc from Rob Williams. A very dark start to a promising multi parter enhanced by Laurence Campbell's art which adds to the mood of the city at the moment. Nice view of the Statue of Justice ruins.

Scanned through Lenny Zero. Just doesn't interest me anymore.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

thejudgemuffin

Hmmmm short review, but at least you were first eh. Well Dredd was fantastic in my opinion, I had accidentally seen the last panel before I read it and expected one type of ending, I am safe to say it was a totally different, unexpected one for me...nice and beautiful artwork too.
3rillers- midsection episode -AKA the fighty one
Aquila- nice artwork etc but I just keep expecting Dafoe to pop up....its all just a bit, "thought you'd solved the riddle well there are three more layers" maybe I'm jaded but just seems setting it up for a sequel already...
Ichabod and the dead dudes- nice, real nice...love the artwork, premise and a great little episode, I don't know where this is going, but (unlike Aqulia) I care
Lenny zero - what a great episode, a real standout to me, always been a fan of the character but sometimes the stories can get you lost, this one is well panned, well written, ''makes sense' and reads well... Love it..dirty dirty judges! 
Can we sell lenny's cam footage as a tie in product for the movie?  Thoughts?

Buttonman

Liking the Dredd and a full letters page with plenty of well known faces, although not too many boarders. A Thargian response to each adds to the wonder.

Colin YNWA

As we were, which is far from a bad thing.

Dredd was fantastic, had the fear that it was going to be a typical, new thing, Dredd disapproves and is proved right, type tale BUT the last page but pay to that and the story took a very interesting turn. Lovely art by Laurence Campbell as well.

Aquilla was fun, 3riller was thrilling and Lenny Zero was... well it was well executed but cliched.

Ichabod, nnnnnoooooooooo. How is this going to wrap up? Loved it.

Nice progage.

Dark Jimbo

Prog firing on all cylinders this week. Every story a pleasure, nothing a chore, but it's Dredd that deserves the special mention. Finally, finally, finally we have the sort of post-DoC story I was waiting for - the city actually feels (and looks!) like it's been brought to it's knees; it feels like a place where 350 million people died and the survivors are living in the dust and ashes of their bones. Dredd looks like he's been pulling 36-hour shifts, we get Hershey, McTighe and some cracking character dialogue all round wrapped up in a nifty little noir thriller. Extra oil rations for Messrs Williams and Campbell.

Rage Hard seemed familiar - have we seen him before?
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 August, 2012, 04:22:21 PM

Rage Hard seemed familiar - have we seen him before?

I think he was from the parallel dimension nice Dredd story circa 1644 - 8

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=1647

But I could well be wrong...

The Monarch

pretty sure that is where hes from

Mudcrab

Great Dredd this week, more of a sense of fallout about the whole thing and superb art. Loved the bit of the Statue of Judgement. Does this mean that Dredd's now a post-apocalyptic post-apocalypse?  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

radiator

Haven't read this weeks ep yet, but looking forward to it - Rob Williams has written some top-notch Dredd. I really loved 'Out Law' from the Meg a few years back.

Banners

Hmmm... as much as I loved the 'sex' panel in last week's Lenny Zero, this week I think that the one panel in particular goes a bit too far.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Banners on 26 August, 2012, 07:49:29 PM
Hmmm... as much as I loved the 'sex' panel in last week's Lenny Zero, this week I think that the one panel in particular goes a bit too far.

Worse than last weeks??!

Maybe I am the forum prude but last week was more than enough for me. If its worse than oral sex being portrayed then the mind boggles.

Banners

Last week's seemed quite funny. This week's, perhaps, was gratuitous.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Banners on 26 August, 2012, 09:25:19 PM
Last week's seemed quite funny. This week's, perhaps, was gratuitous.

That's when i start getting uneasy. Sex is a fundamental and is going to feature in stories. At certain points however it can start feeling gratuitous and dare I say it kinda juvenile and self indulgent.

Proudhuff

A nicely grubby Dredd, as Dark Jimbo says: it feels like the city is on its knees, did I miss the email about Hershey becoming CJ?  :o That last panel certianly added a twist too.

Aquila, 3tiller and iccybod all cooking, Lenny Zero works that wee bit better thro, and that roasting panel was okay by me, the rest of Lenny spot on for a MC1 tale

And a healthy letters page yaa!

DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws