Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Space Girls vs Silo Rd 1 Heat 74

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 January, 2022, 06:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We're smashing into the New Year wrapping up Round 1 over the next couple of weeks and then hopefully all prep will be done and we'll go straight into Round 2 with any luck. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. And first let's look at the... interesting ... match-ups week 10 has to offer

If Ant Wars is the best GFD strip in the Prog (see my opinion in the other tie today) then Silo is Mark Millars, however derivative it is it simply drips with atmosphere and that art! Space Girls... well it will drum up conversation at least!

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Spacegirls - more info

Vs.

Silo - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 6th January and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Hmmm Norwich or Watford?......sorry wrong poll.

Ok let's go with Silo.

JayzusB.Christ

Now, I hadn't watched either The Shining or Die Hard when I first read it, but I liked Silo and still think it holds up.  Say what you like about Mark Millar's 2000ad stuff but I still think he did some of the scariest horror strips the prog ever ran. That was the first Millar strip I'd ever read and I had high hopes... ah well.

I don't think The Space Girls deserves all the abuse it gets.  But it deserves some of it. Bad idea, silly story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

NapalmKev

I don't remember Silo but I do remember Space Girls...

Silo.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

rogue69

Funt Solo

Space Girls* gets my vote. Grrl powah, you muthafunstas!

I know, I know: despite the plot ostensibly being about the Space Girls gaining their freedom from a space-faring sex criminal in a literal hunk-a-junk penis-rocket, their names and the associated commentary objectify them as sex objects.

It gets my vote, though, because I never understood the ending of Silo.

Now, proper girl power this way: "Our skate park shut down so we built our own"

*Memory slipping here - can someone remind me who wrote Space Girls?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I want to vote for Space Girls because there really is something to hte idea that could have worked, especially in 1996/7, but boy did Bishop 'n Tomlinson not find the actual story to tell with the characters. Would it not have been enough just to have them loosely modelled on the Spice Girls' personalities, without also having to have some guff about manufactured bands?

Agree with Funt that the ending of Silo makes little sense, but for me the atmosphere of the opening three episodes or so are REALLY very good, and bless 'em, the Space Girls can't compete.

Silo

sheridan

Silo - I had seen Die Hard so knew how unoriginal it was, but D'Antiquis' art rescues it.

IndigoPrime

Colin YNWA

We can see the way this one is going but you have today to add your vote and I'll count and annouce the result in the morning.

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

A little surprised that many of the votes for Silo seemed so grudging, sure its has it issues but it was a wonderfully executed strip and had a real sense of tension. That said I'm possibly even more surprised that it wasn't a lockout. Still it was pretty definitive and

Silo

Is trapped and alone with a single enemy in Round 2