Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Ordinary vs Outlaw Rd 1 Heat 80

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 January, 2022, 06:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We're smashing into the New Year wrapping up Round 1 over the next couple of weeks and then hopefully all prep will be done and we'll go straight into Round 2 with any luck. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. And first let's look at the... interesting ... match-ups week 10 has to offer

Outlaw seemed to have a lot invested in it and judging by the attention it got in NerveCentre and covers I've got the impression Tharg thought he had a hit on his hands... he didn't. By contrast Ordinary is a wonderful creator owned thrill that deserves much more attention that it gets.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Ordinary - more info

Vs.

Outlaw - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 9th January and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

Never read Outlaw and Ordinary was quite enjoyable so Ordinary it is
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

rogue69

AlexF

I genuinely have a soft spot for Outlaw, which has quite a lot in common with early Sinister Dexter: same story every episode, but with a new, kewl artist each time, accompanied by arch dialogue. Except that Outlaw pretended to be telling an ongoing story which it didn't do very well. At last those artists did all have a good crack at comicsifying that most cinematic of sequences, the gunfight.

Ordinary is just a really great story that I slightly resent voting for because although it did run in the Meg and totally qualifies, it kind of doesn't quite feel like a Megazine story, just one that happened to be printed there.

Screw it it's not gonna win, I'm voting Outlaw on the strength of Simon Davis, and indeed Tom Carney, whose style was the most ridiculous but as a result the most fun for this very silly story.

Barrington Boots

Back in my university days I had a rush of nostalgia and started buying the Prog again for a few weeks. Money was tight and one of the reasons I didn't continue with it was Outlaw, which was absolutely bloody terrible.

Ordinary was one of those tales that I felt promised a bit more than it delivered, but it gets my vote here!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

IndigoPrime

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Magnetica

I some how feel Ordinary was never quite as good as the plaudits it received at the time. But on balance I prefer it to Outlaw.

So Ordinary gets my vote.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Colin YNWA

Nothing Ordinary about one of the thrills here and you have today to make sure you Outlaw the right thrill to an early exit and I'll oversee the reckoning in the morning.