Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Lobster Random vs. Time Flies Round 2 Heat 74

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 March, 2022, 06:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 10 is quietly fascinating. No really BIG hitters, but some fascinating ties. What looks like some tough choices, some great stories, a local derby and a prime example of how a less thrill could just slip quietly through to later rounds by the luck of the draw. Good, interesting mixing coming this week.

I'm still waiting as patiently as possible for Lobster Random to come back. I asked the immensely lovely Si Spurrier if he planned to bring it back at a con... well too many years ago to even recall and he said he really wanted to as he knew he'd kept us dangling, but those damned Americans keep giving him work... should I move on?... I'm not sure anyone is waiting on tender hooks for more Time Flies, though its writer as also gone on to BIG things in the US, I suspect that's not the reason we've not seen this one back!

Lobster Random - more info

Vs

Time Flies - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday March 24th  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

abelardsnazz

Barrington Boots

Two easy votes for me today.
Time Flies was one of the things that stopped me buying the Prog. Re-read it recently and it's still horrible although i appreciate the art more. Lobster Random is cool, and it gets my vote.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

Lobster Random. Time Flies, on a recent re-read, was... not good.

Dark Jimbo

Re-read Lobster Random recently in the UC, and... didn't love it as much as I remembered. Which was a bit odd. Have I changed that much in my old age?! It still deserved completion, though, and easily beats the competition here. Aloha!
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I know I'm in a minority but I can't stand Lobster Random- so Time Flies gets it by default. Mumblegrumble.

SBT

AlexF

Time Flies is awful, no amount of Philip Bond goodness can make up for that. Lobster Random was one of those thrills I remember being a real treat, week on week, when I often had no idea what was going to happen next, or how the story would turn out. Closest anyone has come to the anarchy of the early Ace Trucking stories. I agree that re-reading it all in one lump is a little less fun, there's only so much clever-clever dialogue a person can choke down in one sitting. And by the time the most recent story ran I rather failed to notice that it didn't end properly. If it ever does come back, I sort of feel it'd have to be a fairly hard 'lots of time has passed' type reset to hold my interest.

Purely on a character design and personality, Lobster Random all day!

Huey2

Time Flies - wasn't perfect but it had a few good gags.

Lobster Random - I know that 2000AD has never had "traditional" heroes but the idea of a torturer as main protagonist seemed a step too far for me.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

BPP

Big Lobster Random fan.

So much so I'm changing my gender to Vacuum Cleaner.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd