Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 May, 2022, 10:18:45 PM
You are not stuck in a time warp: Boris Johnson pictured drinking at No 10 lockdown event

I think it's quite important to keep reiterating this: the thing to remember, above all else, as this rumbles on, is — don't be angry because you followed the rules. It was the right thing to do. There are almost certainly people alive today who wouldn't be, because you followed the rules.

Be angry because THEY DIDN'T. Be angry because HE DIDN'T.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Maybe we'll get lucky and monkeypox will mutate into Torypox.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Doctor Alt 8

I wonder if the smallpox vaccine can protect against monkey pox? Would save research time if a vaccine is needed.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 24 May, 2022, 12:39:17 AM
I wonder if the smallpox vaccine can protect against monkey pox?

I believe it does. I read a Twitter thread from a virologist summarising the current state of outbreaks worldwide (IIRC: concerning, but not alarming in scale or spread thus far. The virus doesn't seem to have 'legs', in as much as each case is only able to infect a very small number of people and infection requires direct physical contact... so we're not looking another Covid, with it's long asymptomatic infectious stage and relatively easy transmission.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 May, 2022, 07:36:26 AM
I read a Twitter thread from a virologist summarising the current state of outbreaks worldwide

Actually, you can find a pretty detailed report of the CDC's summary on monkeypox here.

Pretty much what I said above and, yes, smallpox vaccines are effective.

JayzusB.Christ

Is there any possible way Johnson can wriggle out of this?  Can't see how, but sadly I suspect the answer is yes, somehow there will be a way. There always is for him, it seems.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 May, 2022, 03:49:24 PM
Is there any possible way Johnson can wriggle out of this?  Can't see how, but sadly I suspect the answer is yes, somehow there will be a way. There always is for him, it seems.

The arbiter on breaches of the ministerial code is... the Prime Minister. He won't go willingly because he has no honour, no sense of decency, duty or responsibility, and he geniunely believes that rules don't apply to him because, well, for his entire life they haven't.

Pretty sure the only way he goes is if the rest of the MPs oust him, and they haven't shown the stomach for it yet.

sheridan

I wouldn't even say that Johnson wriggles out of these messes - they just get ignored and for some reason no consequences ever come back.

Funt Solo

Pretty sure this is up to the voters. Whenever he's asked about it he just smirks and wiggles his mop around.

The idea that tanking back booze is just a normal part of his work life demonstrates quite neatly how it really is "one rule for them". If I drank booze at work I'd be disciplined and quite possibly lose my job. Apparently being in charge of an entire country requires that you be an alcoholic. Not entirely surprising, I suppose...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 May, 2022, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 May, 2022, 03:49:24 PM

The arbiter on breaches of the ministerial code is... the Prime Minister. He won't go willingly because he has no honour, no sense of decency, duty or responsibility, and he geniunely believes that rules don't apply to him because, well, for his entire life they haven't.

Pretty sure the only way he goes is if the rest of the MPs oust him, and they haven't shown the stomach for it yet.

This is the bit I can't quite understand... yes, they want to stay in power, but how does hitching yourself to Johnson help?  Surely his electoral Midas touch won't work any more?  Last I checked his approval and disapproval rates were 26% and 68% respectively, and that was most likely updated before yesterday's revelations.

While I think that Trump has the sense of integrity and moral compass of a corpse, I can see how kowtowing to him is politically advantageous, but I just can't see johnson ever being a vote-winner again.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 May, 2022, 05:45:40 PM
...but I just can't see johnson ever being a vote-winner again.

I would like you to be correct. I suppose, tactically, if he really is going to have crippled his own chances of another win - maybe he should stay in post.

I think the Tories are gambling on this notion: by the time of the next election, people won't care anymore about Partygate and will be more concerned about whatever's happening then.

I suppose Johnson thinks he's Winston Churchill and can vicariously grab glory by supporting the war in Ukraine.

But what will people care about at the next election? The news keeps talking about the cost of living crisis as the focal point. Future doesn't look rosy, there. Is the real reason nobody wants to oust Boris (from within) that nobody wants to be wearing the crown because the economy's in crisis?

Politics always drives me in circles. The only thing I know: if he had any honor, he'd resign.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

If he had any honour, he'd never have run for office in the first place.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Bigger problem is that far too many in British politics should never have run for office in the first place.  At the risk of lighting the blue touch paper Sharkey, the 650 'honourable' members of the House of Commons are the best argument I know for your way of thinking.  Less said about the 800 odd 'lords and ladies' in the other place.

What I find incredibly disconcerting is that even the most cursory reading of Arendt raises serious questions about what is happening in our nation at present (apologies to our brethren in "the colonies" who have suffered similarly in recent years ...).

IndigoPrime

The reason most Tories won't oust Johnson is because they don't believe there's anyone better as a replacement. That says a lot about the state of the party. But then that's what happens when you excise quality (eg Dominic Grieve) from your ranks and make two demands regarding candidacy: that you be a full-hearted Brexit supporter and that you be a full-fat Johnson supporter.