Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Dandridge vs. Orlok Round 2 Heat 81

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 March, 2022, 06:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Big week this one, not just as we have some interesting ties and a couple of big name thrills, well at least in my eyes. Mainly though as we hit a very significant milestone, one I'll talk (or have talked about... copy and paste a lot here!) more about Tuesday...

Did Dandridge and Orlok ever really find their place and get settled in the Prog? Neither really got a hold and developed into long running strips, so maybe this one is about which one you would have like to have done that?

Dandridge - more info

Vs

Orlok - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday March 31st  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

rogue69

Dark Jimbo

The first Orlok series was... fine. Serviceable, if nothing stellar and (weirdly for a prequel series) telling us almost nothing about the title character. The second, where he went round Oz and met broad cariactures of Tank Girl and the Neighbours cast, was just bizzarre - a would-be knockabout comedy is a really weird fit for a not-very humorous assassin.

Dandridge should have run longer than it did. Genuinely funny, and some superb worldbuilding.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

AlexF

Have just re-read most of Dandridge, and really enjoyed it. I would've loved to get maybe one or two more series, just to explain more about how the set-up actually works (it's basically 'what if Victorians harnessed ectoplasm instead of electricity to power their machines) - I never quite got my head around how and why some people become ghosts, if it's just a matter of killing a person or what.

Haven't re-read Orlok in a while, and am not especially minded to. Early Jake Lynch art has its charms, and I do get a kick out of Wyatt being as silly as he can while telling the story of a total psychopath - but they've both got a lot better since then. Basically those stories function as prequels not so much to Orlok the Assassin, foil of Dredd & Anderson, but to Orlok's clone, right-hand of the Red Queen in the Wyatt/Lynch Harry Heston stories. And thier Heston tales are a zillion miles better.

Dandridge, without hesitation.

Magnetica

Is it just me or did anyone think Dandridge looked a bit like Nikolai Dante? Completely different strips of course.

Anyway I'm voting for Orlok.

Link Prime

Didn't really take to Dandridge at all, so I'll vote for a bowl of reheated gulag gruel - Orlok.

Barrington Boots

I didn't like Dandridge either. I liked the ghost aspect, but not the character or execution.
Orlok had some flaws, which other posters have covered, but it's my preferred thrill from this pair.
You're a dark horse, Boots.