Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - XTNCT vs. Realm of the Damned Rd 2 Heat 104

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 April, 2022, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Look, there's just four weeks of the seemingly unending Round 2 to go and then we get to Round 3 which I think will be much much juicer... that said I've loved Round 2. The mismatches, the cruelty of top tier thrills being drawn together. The discussion of long ignored thrills... but it has gone on and as we approach the end I have to be honest this is one of the weaker weeks, though that can often lead to the most interesting ties.

CN B BTHRD T D THS GN? DBT 'LL S T THRGH BT WH KNWS. KNDA HP XTNCT GTS KNCKD T S 'M NT TMPTD T TY GN.

XTNCT - more info

Vs

Realm of the Damned - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday April 17th and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

abelardsnazz

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

IndigoPrime

Sorry — couldn't stand Realm of the Damned. I like most of what the creators do, but found this series horrible. XTNCT, though, is one of my favourite 2000 AD one-shot serials of all-time. I love its bizarre take on the future, its sheer imagination, the framing of each episode through the filter of one of the protagonists, and D'Israeli's gorgeous black and white art. That and Raptor's amusingly naughty dialogue, which they got away with by stripping vowels.

So, yeah, it's XTNCT for me — FCK YH!

AlexF

I mean, Colin, you could've gone ultra-sweary in your intro to mirror RotD...

Another fascinating mid-table tussle here, also two stories avaible in neat hardback packages. Two Megazine thrills, basically self-contained (I know Realm has had sequels printed elsewhere, haven't actually read them yet). Both VERY weird and ploughing their own furrows expertly, both with gorgeous black and white art. And I guess, on a technical level, there is an overlap in that both are about impending apoclypses and the people who are striving to bring them about - just coming from quite different points of view!

I do admire the gonzo goings on of Realm but for me it's the charm and sweetness of XTNCT that win through.

Proudhuff

Can't actually remember Realm and there is no helpful images on that linkie so its  XTNCT which i did enjoy.
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"